DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally installed my JL HD 600/4 and 750/1 and OH BOY! It amazed me...

Ive tried numerous High End amps from Zapco, Arc Audio, Mcintosh, DLS, Audison, etc.

I just recently removed my Audison LRX 5.1K due to the fact, that in my opinion it has no BALLS! I've always been biased against JL products but the HD's made me think otherwise. I like the fact that its a small footprint, stays cool, differential balanced inputs, and its full range class D which wont take a toll on my electrical system.

Considering its Class D, this amp sounds amazing with a lot of power...I noticed right away after switching over from my audison, was how "lively" and in your face it sounded with added detail...I fell in love. Not as warm sounding that I am use to with my audison and other class ab amps but overall it sounded GREAT!

I will be soon getting another 600/4 to run a 4 way active system bridging one of the 4 channels dedicated to my midbass...Over the years I was never happy with my system, especially finding the right amp. Being bias against JL for so long, who would've thought I'd fall in love with the HD's. This is a keeper for me and I couldn't be any happier. =)

has anyone else switched over to the HD's and felt the same? I dont think I would ever look back for awhile...

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I never hated Jello, but the MHD's and HD's are definitely solid, feature-packed amps with a small footprint. They don't sound any different from any other amp of similar power, but they look good and have a quality look/feel to them.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The look never really attracted me but I do agree with you on the build quality of these little amps. Amp is definitely solid with my favorite feature of the amp is the RIPS technology.

·
Registered
95 Posts
So I was thinking of doing the exact opposite and goin 600/4 to a 5.1k more so it all matches more than anything. Funny enough my buddy went from the hd jls to a 5.1k and told me he's pissed about it.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I was thinking of doing the exact opposite and goin 600/4 to a 5.1k more so it all matches more than anything. Funny enough my buddy went from the hd jls to a 5.1k and told me he's pissed about it.
I mean dont get me wrong, the Audison 5.1k is a great sounding amp but the HD's just blew me away. the Audison is nice if you want a simple one amp solution for your whole system...the staggered channels is real nice for a 2 way active...although I was really disappointed with the sub channel...it had no balls. just my opinion...

Why were you biased against JL in the first place?
In High school everyone had JL's and kids would always brag how bad ass their system sounds...which their system never really impressed me besides the W7...I always felt JL was also way overpriced...and also I was never really into mainstream products...sorry thats just me lol

·
Registered
573 Posts
I was the same way. I never ran a JL product until last month, even though I've respected the knowledge Manville has been bringing since the rec.audio.car days. At first it was because the shop I frequented didn't carry them, after that it was because EVERY car on that insufferable Unique Whips show was crammed full of JL gear. Foolish reasons, but most of our purchases are based on at least some silliness.

·
Registered
151 Posts
how muc those jl HD's running now a days?

im not sure if this is true but i heard the guys who did the ppi arts later did Xtant, and now the JL hd's....?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I thought about picking up a 900/5 but honestly for the price I could not justify it over my Arc 900.6. I refuse to pay 1k$ or even 800$ for a car amplifier. I'd rather put that into my stereo home set ups.

·
Registered
982 Posts
how muc those jl HD's running now a days?

im not sure if this is true but i heard the guys who did the ppi arts later did Xtant, and now the JL hd's....?
That is correct. Bruce Macmillan designed the AM, DM and Art Series PPI amplifiers, all the original Xtant amplifiers and all of the JL Audio amplifiers since day one, except for the J2's. He's a very talented guy.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I mean dont get me wrong, the Audison 5.1k is a great sounding amp but the HD's just blew me away. the Audison is nice if you want a simple one amp solution for your whole system...the staggered channels is real nice for a 2 way active...although I was really disappointed with the sub channel...it had no balls. just my opinion...
It seems that you are impressed with the power of the amps over anything else. Obviously you are going to like them better if they have lots more power than you have had in the past. Have you ever compared the high end amps you mentioned with the same power as the JL's, that would be a much more accurate comparison.

Congrats of the purchase, I do like the small footprint.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
It seems that you are impressed with the power of the amps over anything else. Obviously you are going to like them better if they have lots more power than you have had in the past. Have you ever compared the high end amps you mentioned with the same power as the JL's, that would be a much more accurate comparison.

What's wrong with being impressed with the power and size?

It's not like the "high end" amps should sound any different even with equal power.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
My only complaint with the HDs is the lack of a decent crossover. How much trouble would it have been to put in a 10x switch?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
What's wrong with being impressed with the power and size?
I am just saying that you are sacrificing sound quality for size.

It's not like the "high end" amps should sound any different even with equal power.
Maybe they shouldn't, but there are a few "high end" amps that do sound much better - IMO.

I do think it is quite funny how many on this forum who believe all amps sound the same are the first to point out that the reason is the "high end" amp is probably not level matched and is providing more power. But when the tables are turned and the (for sake of argument) "non-high end" amps have more power, power is never mentioned as a reason why. Just an observation :D.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Have you ever compared the high end amps you mentioned with the same power as the JL's, that would be a much more accurate comparison.
Unless the "high end" amps are incompetently designed - a condition FAR more likely in a boutique variant of a commodity part like an amp than in a mainstream one, because of the tweakoid nonsense mythology of boutique audio electronics - any "high end" amp worth a damn will sound exactly like a Jello HD.

Besides, I think a Jello HD definitely is a "high end" amp. Don't they range from like $600 to $1050 (flagship MHD900/5) MSRP? For a car amplifier that is bloody expensive. And what does "high end" mean except for a price tag, anyway?

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Yes i have tried numerous amps with about the same rated power...like i said I was just dissapointed with mainly the sub channel of the 5.1K...anyways I was running passives on channels B of the 5.1k which the rated power is higher than the JL's, and the JL's still blew me away. The sound was just more livelier and smoother imo while the audison was warm sounding yet laid back...the HD's power and size is just a major plus for me. Never thought a full range class D can really sound this good!

Maybe you should hear one for yourself with the same system setup...and lmk what you think =)

My only complaint with the HDs is the lack of a decent crossover. How much trouble would it have been to put in a 10x switch?
Yah a 10x switch would be really nice...maybe they didn't wana spoil us with too many features in a small footprint amp =)

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Unless the "high end" amps are incompetently designed - a condition FAR more likely in a boutique variant of a commodity part like an amp than in a mainstream one, because of the tweakoid nonsense mythology of boutique audio electronics - any "high end" amp worth a damn will sound exactly like a Jello HD.
Don't insult the "high end" amps like that, they have feelings too you know! I was referring more to the McIntosh Amps he mentioned using.....tell me they are NOT competently designed. And before you go there.....yes, they sound different....and by different, I mean BETTER!

Besides, I think a Jello HD definitely is a "high end" amp. Don't they range from like $600 to $1050 (flagship MHD900/5) MSRP? For a car amplifier that is bloody expensive. And what does "high end" mean except for a price tag, anyway?
It also means build quality and, in some cases, better sq!

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I am just saying that you are sacrificing sound quality for size.
In what way, are they noisy, have high distortion, uneven frequency response?

Maybe they shouldn't, but there are a few "high end" amps that do sound much better - IMO.

I do think it is quite funny how many on this forum who believe all amps sound the same are the first to point out that the reason is the "high end" amp is probably not level matched and is providing more power. But when the tables are turned and the (for sake of argument) "non-high end" amps have more power, power is never mentioned as a reason why. Just an observation :D.
Well, I said there is no reason why they ("high end") should sound better even with equal power. I know more power sounds better, but if he was sacrificing sound quality, then wouldn't the JL not sound better even if it does have more power?

1 - 20 of 211 Posts