DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

better sound quality, lower floor noise. sexier? :)

• leviathan

Votes: 43 53.8%
  • JL HD600/4

Votes: 37 46.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hate jl because their super giants and i always pull for the under dog, but.... i dont wanna sacrifice quality and performance just because of my pride. looking to do a an active 3 way. i've heard very mixed opinions on the leviathan. i so want that amp to sound good. the power and eq controls alone for that price is unheard of. really, is the leviathan a high quality amp? i would love to just run that amp and a mono for my subs. if the jl is much better with floor noise... sound quality and power... then i guess i have no choice but run with mainstream :mad:

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I voted for the lev. zed audio has been a consistant producer for 20+ years. Stephen Mantz is a very dedicated designer.

I ran nothing but mantz's amplifiers in the early 90's. loved em and wouldnt hesitate to run em again.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Not really a fair comparison for a 3-way active, as the Leviathan has 2 extra channels.

I don't have any noise issues with my HD's, & from what I've read the Leviathan v.2 has all the issues from the v.1 taken care of (the v.3 is in production).

·
Banned
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not really a fair comparison for a 3-way active, as the Leviathan has 2 extra channels.

I don't have any noise issues with my HD's, & from what I've read the Leviathan v.2 has all the issues from the v.1 taken care of (the v.3 is in production).

v3? i new leviathan?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,363 Posts
So you won't buy a proven performer and piece of equipment because the company is a "giant" as you call them? That's silly. Do you know who JL started? Do you know the history? Everyone starts some where, some just manage their business better than others and grow more fluidly.

·
Registered
524 Posts
They are both great amps. The questions that should guide your choice: Do I need 4 or 6 channels? Do I need 300 watts or 500 watts bridged? Do I need a 3 way active cross over? Price?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I agree with the post above, two extra channels and more power bridged would give the Leviathan the edge if you have the room and the price is the same. I have no opinion on amp SQ.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Funny, people vote on these old threads and bring them to the top. Even worse is I'm posting on it lol.

I've owned both.

The Lev might be rated higher but I honestly could tell zero difference in output.

Noise floor advantage goes to the HD.

When pushed to the limits, the HD retained it's composure better.

SQ- No opinion, both were great, couldn't tell a difference.

Size advantage goes to the HD.

The only reason I would choose the Lev over the HD would be looks (subjective, I like the simplicity of the HD but the Lev looks very nice), additional channels if needed, and the crossover section. On performance alone I would go with the HD but it's kind of weird to compare a 4 channel to a 6 channel in the first place.

Somehow I feel like this poll is a popularity contest and it's doubtful many of the voters have owned both and run them on the same setup.

·
Registered
894 Posts
The leviathan v3 is a powerhouse and very very clean. It has a very neutral sound and is efficient especially for the output. Very flexible on the setup for just about any config. I haven't scoped one but should easily make rated power. Runs very cool as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok... So kind of off the topic but does anyone know anything about the JL HD600/4 amplifier? I have one but don't know how to set it up in 3 channel mode.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Bridge the rear channels for 300x1 and fronts will remain at 150x2.

·
Registered
6 Posts
do I have to switch it to 2 chaz or 4 ch? because when its on 4 ch the sub volume goes do then when it was on 2 ch. I have the 3rd and 4th channel plug bridged as the manual tells me to. I guess the question is.... obviously I have to have it on 2 ch. to get the power of 300x 1 but will I lose the stereo capability on my fronts 1 and 2 ch?

·
Registered
170 Posts

What are all the issues people keep talking about? There was only one issue that I recall, that was the popping while turning the amp on and off. Was there something else?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
What are all the issues people keep talking about? There was only one issue that I recall, that was the popping while turning the amp on and off. Was there something else?
Info is out there in good detail- iirc it was more the handling that was the issue than the issues themselves.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Info is out there in good detail- iirc it was more the handling that was the issue than the issues themselves.
I know, I was the one who did one of the first reviews stating the popping issues. Is there something else? everyone makes it out to be like the first gen. Leviathan had major issues, yet this is not the case at all. Things always get blown out of proportion here.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts