DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sooo, I bought into the JL Slash series years ago and have a 1000/1 and 300/4. I also have a XD600/1 that I bought for a little project that never panned out. I am going to go fully active on my recently purchased Tundra. Build Log Here
I will Need 2-4 more channels of Amp. I don't think I will need the 1000/1, but I definately have room for it. The XD600/1 would probably be more than enough for this build

Do I stay with the AB amps? Should I just get another 300/4? Should I ditch the AB and get the matching XD Series? Should I go for a whole different amp?

I am trying to be budget conscious here. $200-300 or so. I know I can get a used slash V1 for that. I also know how inefficient they are. I've got a pretty good understanding of the differences in the old AB amp and the new Class D Stuff. This isn't meant to be a tech debate. Just want to know what you would do...

-Jay

EDIT: I guess I should mention, that I would like to end up with a matching set, or at least all JL. Not a must. They are not going to be on display, it just bothers my a little if I have mismatched stuff... I know, I know.... its a little eccentric.

·
Banned
299 Posts
I like the slash. The build quality is the stuff tanks are made of. What I did not appreciate so much was the relative lack of dynamics. In my application they played strong all out, but this—for me—subtracted from the musicality (no subtle nuances). I think they are well suited for midbass and subs in this regard. Great amps though. Had I not used them in the stead of my One’s while they were out the ride for repair, I think I still would have noticed the apparent lack of dynamics. Again, in my limited experience. That having been said, Im not familiar with many amps to make the comparison, particularly in that reasonable $ range. At least not in the last decade or so.
Also, I am currently running the XD400/4. But alas its only on the highs and this is my first time running tweeters in the same time span, so not a whole lot to compare. But like the slash, I certainly appreciate the build quality.

Reactions: JaySea20

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
If those amps work and fit then you should use them. The differences between amplifiers that are if good quality is so small that it’s not worth spending hundreds to replace them. Now if space or the lack there of is a concern then you have a good argument for new amps.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I like option 4, just because all of the amps are the same style and are smaller. I'm not very familiar with the slash amps, but i have an XD600/6v2 and really like it. I have it installed in my spare-tire well, which is enclosed in a foam "carrier" and has a trap-door-style "lid" that closes on top of the area - and even in the summer at high-volumes, it doesn't get more than warm.

Great amp, minimal power requirements, no fan, very small and runs cool. Has been a rock-solid amp.

Just to give you an idea of where mine is installed, here is a picture with the trap-door "lid" open - like I said, this is in my trunk, in the spare-tire well:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Agree that the XD series won’t run too hot even in tight spaces.

I have mine (700/5) under the factory floorboard of the trunk, with little room for air circulation. Never had issues and doesn’t get too warm.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I’d go with either option 1 or 2 to keep costs down (only buy one amp), or option 4 for consistency and to have all of them in the smaller and cooler XD model.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Option 1, no cost option and just hide the different class D and show off the rest of the Slash series. No one will know or has to know and then you can put the money into something that will make a difference in sound for the better.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Option 1, no cost option and just hide the different class D and show off the rest of the Slash series. No one will know or has to know and then you can put the money into something that will make a difference in sound for the better.
I have to buy an amp no matter what. I don't have enough channels. The top row is what I own. Which is not enough.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’d go with either option 1 or 2 to keep costs down (only buy one amp), or option 4 for consistency and to have all of them in the smaller and cooler XD model.
Yes sir. That is my dilema. Since I have to buy another amp, do I invest into the proven AB Tech, or Go with Class D

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Look at it this way - if you buy from Crutchfield, they'll gladly take an amp back if you aren't happy with it, so you could always try a class-D and if you don't like the results, return it and get the class A/B.

Also, it really depends how important the class-d benefits are to you (reduced size, cool-running and lower power requirements) - and whether or not you really care about having the same "line" of amps for everything or not.

Only you can make that decision. :)

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I’ve run a some class D against class AB in a controlled blind test and there really isn’t any applicable audible difference in sound between the classes and I would say especially with JL Audio. I think in this case it will come down to budget and aesthetics or personal preference.

Reactions: JaySea20

·
Registered
255 Posts
I loved the slash but they died on me in summer "v1's"

I heard v2 is better thermal design ect..

They sound good the slash

·
Registered
46 Posts
LAte to the party...I've owned both the slash and the XD's. Although the XD's are infinitely smaller, the Slashes are great amps and if you can snag a cheaper slash to complete the look you will not regret it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts