DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Nick I appreciate you taking the time to measure whatever the reason was.
Is there any way to guess an approximate of how much to reduce the q to get rew's auto eq to match.
It's hard to explain what I'm thinking. How much q reduction would give more similar results to adding db than subtracting ?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Jl really needs to note this in the manual.
Just going back and cutting the q in half across the board smoothed everything out to within 2 db except for 1 4 db hump at around 1khz.
Being that this is my second system based on the twk I could have really used this info a year ago. Would have saved so much time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Agreed. I just picked up the TwK and was wondering why it seemed a little off. Es good now though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Thanks for the info.. Gonna redo it, soon..
If youve taken measurements and directly input them into the twk you don't need to do a full retune.
Simply go through on every band you reduced and cut the q in half. I did that and now my response is measuring super smooth. It's smoother at 1/12th than it looked at 1/3rd.
May save you some time.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, I haven't followed up on this thread.....

As soon as I have an opportunity i'll make a "conversion chart" of sorts.

Manville's recommendation to halve the Q value is probably spot on, but I'll try and make some kind of chart just for good measure.

To be clear, I very much like the fact that this EQ has such potentially high Q cut capability, the equivalent of a Q of 40 with the more conventional filters.

Not only that, but the 0.1dB adjustment capability is pretty awesome, as is the abiltiy to group and un-group EQ filters without changing the delta between them. In fact, all of the Twk's grouping capabilty is pretty great. A real time saver and work flow simplifier.

The TwK has some pretty serious "SQ" type features, and it's GUI is definitely my personal favorite. It hasn't yet enjoyed as long of a field life and update cycle as some of the others out there, which makes me think that at some point in the not to distant future, its gonna be a pretty tough DSP to beat, it already is.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts

Manville's recommendation to halve the Q value is probably spot on, but I'll try and make some kind of chart just for good measure.

To be clear, I very much like the fact that this EQ has such potentially high Q cut capability, the equivalent of a Q of 40 with the more conventional filters.

Not only that, but the 0.1dB adjustment capability is pretty awesome, as is the abiltiy to group and un-group EQ filters without changing the delta between them. In fact, all of the Twk's grouping capabilty is pretty great. A real time saver and work flow simplifier.

The TwK has some pretty serious "SQ" type features, and it's GUI is definitely my personal favorite. It hasn't yet enjoyed as long of a field life and update cycle as some of the others out there, which makes me think that at some point in the not to distant future, its gonna be a pretty tough DSP to beat, it already is.
How do you group eqs without copying one eq to the next? Everyone I try to group eqs it ask me to copy one to the next overwriting everything on one side.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
How is that different than what mini dsp does? Really trying to talk my way into liking and getting the twk but a glowing review of basic mini dsp functions has me scratching my head

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I will say this about the twk. It is by FAR the easiest to use.
It's gui is so well laid out and intuitive.
I've been playing with the helix software for a few days now and the twks tun software is a dream.
I've tried all.the free versions of the software. Every one I could get my hands on and the twks is so easy to use.

The only down about the twk is I can't group all the spereate eqs and eq the system as a whole.
That makes tuning the final curve quite a pain on the ass as if you want to make small adjustments at specific frequencies you have to go to each channels eq seperatly and eq it there where as the helix you can link every single eq and eq them together.
This is the only reason I'm moving away from the twk.
If say I want to add 2 db at 150hz. I have to go to the left midbass and add 2 db then go to the right and add 2 db.
The twk only has 10 bands of eq per channel and you will use them all so I can't make these overall adjustments without giving up an eq band on each channel.
If they would add the ability to overlay all the eqs for each speaker and give the ability to eq the system as a whole the twk would be a fantastic tool.

I'd settle for a 10 band parametric master eq. Would solve this issue perfectly.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Doesn't sound like it at all, all those complaints are intuitive basic features of an $80 mini dsp. If it gets simpler than the mini dsp gui it would have to tune itself

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Doesn't sound like it at all, all those complaints are intuitive basic features of an $80 mini dsp. If it gets simpler than the mini dsp gui it would have to tune itself[/QUyOTE]

The tun software is free.
You can download and play with it.
I do this with any dsp im.intersted in.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I have and dont see it anywhere near as easy as the mini with its one click linking, eq calculator, biquads, all with the same resolution and clickable flowchart with separate master eq. It does have more individual parametric bands but its a non issue with the master and ability for biquads. I dont know I wish JL or one of the majors would make a dead simple powerful dsp with no hiccups. It doesnt have to be cutting edge in resolution or bands but this was really something JL or Rockford should have been able to nail- RF didnt, we will see if JL continues to improve.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Nick I've been emailing the people at REW about adding the twk.
They need data I can't provide. Mdat, loop back with several different adjustments made to the eq bands so they can see exactly what's going on.
This would be a great thing for the twk users out there.
Not sure if it's something you are interested in but you seem to have more knowledge about it than me.

·
Registered
578 Posts
^^^^Ide love to see this also. Or even the chart on what q to use for cuts. I'm also messing with rew and was getting dif results than expected. Thanks for finding this op.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts