DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
looking at the 12w6v2(~$175 used), infinity kappa 120.9w(~$100 new), and gto/reference(~$75 new). everyone has said they all sound great IB . i have about 350w on tap and wanted to keep my build low budget(i have kids). is the w6 going to offer anything over the harmon offerings? if not should i even spend the extra $ on the kappa or go with the gto/reference sub? thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
1,657 Posts
I have the 120.9w and have considered running it IB, but I want to build my door midbass project first...lol...so little time...anyways...

The 120.9 models very well for IB, it has decent excursion capabilities and can be run 2 or 4 ohm.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I already have a cutout for the factory 8" woofer.my plan is to grind away the opening by about 1.5" then add a 1/4" spacer on topof the rear deck to reduce the cutout needed as well as prevent sagging/flexing.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I'd use the GTI MKll for IB over the JL... MKll is in a completly different league over the JBL subs you mentioned... So is the JL IMO. I like the JL better in a sealed enclosure though..I would stay away from a used sub personally....

look into the Dayton Ultimax, it has a pretty high Xmax from what I recall under well $200 new. IMO the Dayton subs are a huge bang for the buck.. You're far better to go this route than buying something used..

Xmas is going to be an important factor with a single 12, 350 watts is lots for an IB sub. I've always used about half the drivers rated power an IB alignment and had no problem getting them to boogie.

I have a single 12 in one of my cars that does 135DB for Iascas Triple crown... I know It can hit more with ease.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As awesome as the gti is the weight , mounting depth and price takes it out of the running. The a few exceptions ive always ran used subs with no problems and buyung thr listed subs new would blow the budget of the entire build.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK found my answer on another forum. A person whos used both the reference and kappa series for home sub duty says the kappa is worth every penny over its younger gto/reference brothers. Noted the bass blended better , it dug deeper , and took more abuse. Even if the w6 is better I can't imagine paying double for a used w6v2. Unless I find a killer deal on a used one the kappa wins this. Thanks for the replies guys

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.