DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wavering between using one or the other of these in my new system using the factory head unit ( see my post in System Design - 2016 Buick Regal system). I will need 6 channels to drive the speakers, A front Component set and rear coax, all Morels. I will probably also be adding a sub to the trunk, not sure what size yet. What are the pro's/con's between these 2 DSP/Amps other than the Audison gives me 2 spare channels. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You can bridge four of the channels on the Audison for more power for your front midbass and use it as a 6-channel amp this way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks cathul, I know that and I could also bridge 7/8 to power a sub also, but will not I plan a separate amp for the sub. I was am looking for a technical differences and practical use between these two items.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not sure if the JL incorporates "FiX" functionality into their VX amps to strip out any factory curve and t/a. The Audison does. Yes, the DSP can correct after the fact, but it does not flatten from the get-go. Some people don't care about flattening since they're just going to tune it afterwards anyway, so this may not be a big deal. The Audison also has the option to hook up to their bit tune mic array, but this is a shop option, not something for the home gamer. I haven't used the JL software, but both are parametric EQs. The Audison Forza gives you a little more power than the JL.

I have the non-F version of that Audison amp. It's my first DSP amp and I'm pretty happy with it. I am running it as cathul mentioned, 1/2 tweets, 3/4 midrange, and 5/6+7/8 to midbass. Even though these are 2ohm drivers (Infinity Kappas), the Audison hasn't hiccuped yet at the low impedence, even on the bridged woofers and long (2+ hour) listening sessions.

I think you're on the right track with a dedicated subwoofer amp. You'll probably want more than the 260w the bridged 7/8 channels will give you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mbeatle, yeah, it does not include "Fix" function so the Audison does hold a bonus over the JL, 2 extra channels and a little more power + the factory de-processing. I am totally new to today's audio world but I do realize a DSP is a must have retaining the factory HU. Hope to hear from some people that have used each and get their real world experiences.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Consider packaging and where/how it will be installed. The JL VXi has a relatively large connector/pig-tail where all the connections are made. I was planning to use the VX1000/5i in an install, but that connector proved to be a problem. Ended up going with the AP F8.9 (plus a separate AP1D for the sub) and have been very pleased.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I originally had the regular 8.9 Bit in my '18 F150 and was impressed. About a year ago I upgraded to the F8.9 Bit and couldn't be happier! I have it powering my 3 way active front stage (Helix P1 tweeters, Focal Flax 3" mids and 2 ohm Focal K2s in the doors) and even the guys at the audio shop have complimented on the sound. I haven't started to "tune" it yet because it already sounds pretty damn good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts