DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 649 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Someone mentioned not liking the cosmetics of these amps. Personally, I think they look quite good. Nice to see a bit of curvature in the surface rather than just a flat, square box. The blue backlight around the logo is also a nice touch. Maybe slightly utilitarian but, JL has never designed "flashy' gear.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Someone mentioned not liking the cosmetics of these amps. Personally, I think they look quite good. Nice to see a bit of curvature in the surface rather than just a flat, square box. The blue backlight around the logo is also a nice touch. Maybe slightly utilitarian but, JL has never designed "flashy' gear.

The light can change between 4 (I believe) diff colors. Which also shows by the DRC. Just in case anyone wanted to know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
712 Posts
I don’t see why they wouldn’t be. The 5-channel is. I’ve been beta testing since about September. Two 5-channels bridged down to provide 3 channel output to each side of my speakers (one amp on left, one amp on right). A 1000/1 for the subs.

Initially we (myself and other beta testers) had feedback on the interface and other mechanical-type things but as that feedback was incorporated to updates it just became a test of durability which I’ve had no complaints about thus far.

Overall, solid amps. Built in DSP is plenty sufficient for me (I don’t need 31 bands of EQ per speaker). The latest TuN update provides some nice features such as all-pass filters at the crossovers (or adjustable otherwise) and shelf filter. Two features I find extremely useful. Really small footprint. If you’re coming to the meet in NC next month you can have a test run of the interface if you’d like.
Thanks for the info, bridging capability is GREAT news! Seems like a perfect fit for for my Miata. I'll eventually be adding subs, and if this amp will fit under the seat, it's a winner. I already have an APL1 in the mix so I don't need a crazy EQ section. My iPhone sending a digital signal to the APL1, then digital to the amp, with no other gizmo's to muck it up is just perfect!

Unfortunately, I left on tour a week ago and won't be home for any reasonable length of time until July. But I trust your opinion on these things, so I'll be ordering one before I get home, assuming it'll fit under the passenger seat. How far do those plugs stick out when bent 180º?

TuN 3 on ios and osx, good news!
As a Mac guy, I'm SUPER happy about that! Many months ago Manville said in the TwK thread that they would eventually support MacOS, I didn't expect that software update to some with an amp/DSP combo!

Any pics of the DRC around?
Great question! I'd like to see the DRC too.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Any surround sound processing like Logic 7, Dolby Digital or DTS?

We had it in the 1980s with a Fosgate Gavotte surround sound processor & then JBL MS-8.

·
ROCKY TOP
1,664 Posts
I like the looks of them I just cant get past the 10bands of eq. I meant others might not mind but I prefer 31 bands. I guess helix has me spoiled but I do love all the different options amp/dsp JL is offering. Even though I dont like the tun software or 10 eq bands I will break down and buy one. I thank here in next couple of years the amp/dsp will become common. Honestly it kind of pisses me off because I feel like dsp’s should be just for us SQ guys. Everyone else that just wants a booming/shitty system just keep letting them buy there amps, and save the dsp’s for us. Im done whining, I AM JUST FUCKING PISSED MY VOLS JUST LOST!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
982 Posts
These look awesome. For anyone not wanting to watch the whole video, there are 8 models as follows.

2x300

4x100

6x100

8x100

1x600

1x1000

700 watt 5 channel

1000 watt 5 channel

All amp have built in dsp to conform to the number of amp channels + a pair of preouts. They also touched on some kind of factory integration piece with fiber optic outputs that connect directly to the amplifiers.

Pricing is $799-$1199, right in line with HD amps which don't include dsp.

Actually, $1299.99 for the 8ch. I misspoke in the video. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
If a pair of channels are bridged can you use the eq bands from both channels on one speaker? And is the new software basically like what the twk has...10 bands per channel?

·
Registered
982 Posts
If a pair of channels are bridged can you use the eq bands from both channels on one speaker? And is the new software basically like what the twk has...10 bands per channel?

No. You only have one 10-band PEQ bank when you bridge, which is plenty. You don’t need more than 3-5 bands of PEQ to eq a speaker.

VXi adds shelving option for top and bottom band.

·
Registered
50 Posts
@mssmith, first off great launch. The new Vxi amps look very promising.

I have a few of quick questions...

1.) Will the Bluetooth accessory for the Vxi amps allow direct streaming into the amp?

2.) Will the TWK line be able to be controlled by the new iPad version of TuN?

3.) Is there a way to sum two different sources in the TuN software? Such as my factory U-Connect deck (for phone calls) and a streaming device so that when a call comes in the ring down would play over the streaming device?

As always, thanks for making great products and having superb technical support.

·
Registered
982 Posts
@mssmith, first off great launch. The new Vxi amps look very promising.

I have a few of quick questions...

1.) Will the Bluetooth accessory for the Vxi amps allow direct streaming into the amp?

2.) Will the TWK line be able to be controlled by the new iPad version of TuN?

3.) Is there a way to sum two different sources in the TuN software? Such as my factory U-Connect deck (for phone calls) and a streaming device so that when a call comes in the ring down would play over the streaming device?

As always, thanks for making great products and having superb technical support.

1) no
2) no
3) yes. The input mixer is VERY flexible.

·
Premium Member
9,141 Posts
Just to subscribe and keep my comments from another thread in the appropriate VXI thread...

I do like what I was seeing in the new JL VXI amplifiers. Cool stuff. I played around with the iPad app yesterday and it was pretty slick. Very full featured, and it seems like they will be great for factory integration. Fine level of adjustment along with shelving and all pass filters are nice features. It would be cool to see some additional control over how the DRC operates (shelf filter for the subwoofer level).

I was slightly disappointed in the fact that the power numbers they were quoting at Knowledgefest were for 2 Ohm (not 4 Ohm) loads. Though, it isn't too surprising. 75 wpc @ 4 Ohms has been the JL standard for quite some time now and should be plenty for most active systems.

41 - 60 of 649 Posts