DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

601 - 620 of 628 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Actually you can do without the hub when using 2 VXI amps. You can use the RCA out from one amp to the other and still control most of the tuning in one TuN project. You can't do that with the digital connections though. I tune everything on my 800/8 and source that into my 1000/1. I only have to make level input and output changes on the 1000/1.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Actually you can do without the hub when using 2 VXI amps. You can use the RCA out from one amp to the other and still control most of the tuning in one TuN project. You can't do that with the digital connections though. I tune everything on my 800/8 and source that into my 1000/1. I only have to make level input and output changes on the 1000/1.
Thank you I just got a response from a JL rep and said the same thing.

Here is my other question. Using 4 amps. The rep said you will need the Hub to keep it all balanced out. He said with only 2 amps, you can remove the hub and do like your saying.

Here is the other question.

Where does the remote get plugged in? at the amp? Correct?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thank you I just got a response from a JL rep and said the same thing.

Here is my other question. Using 4 amps. The rep said you will need the Hub to keep it all balanced out. He said with only 2 amps, you can remove the hub and do like your saying.

Here is the other question.

Where does the remote get plugged in? at the amp? Correct?
If doing just two amps, yes you will plug in the remote at the main amp where you will be performing the TuN settings. I believe it's the same thing when using the hub but you would need to confirm that since I don't use a hub.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anybody know an installer in Chicago that is an expert with these amps? I'm looking to replace a 5 channel Alpine with the VX1000/5i. I do not want to go to my regular guy or somebody that has not installed these before.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have read through this entire thread but I may have forgot a few things!!

I hope someone can give me some good input on designing a system using these amps. My car is similar to Mssmith so I would love to hear your opinion too. I have a new 2017 Buick Lacrosse with the Bose Centerpoint 11 speaker system. I bought this car new with the intentions of building a descent SQ system. I will use the factory deck using Android auto using Tidal or Spotify premium for the source and build a stealth system. Car has 6.5s in all 4 doors, 3.5 center, tweeters in pillars, 6x9 woofers in rear deck and small speakers in each rear pillar.

Option 1: Use NavTV digital into vxi800 and leave rear doors on original amp and fade back when people are in rear seat.

Option 2: Run the high level speaker wires directly off the Bose amp into the JL so I can have Lt, Rt and center. If the Bose system does upmixing then I hate to defeat it with the NavTV and wonder if I could build a descent 2 seat system keeping the center and then have a different preset for when I am in the car by myself without the center.
Seems like that if I am not compromising much running off the high levels I could potentially have a better system with 2 people in the car and hopefully almost as good by myself. I have many more questions but this is my primary one. What difference or problems will I notice between high levels and Toslink?

I plan to run Morel Tempo ultra in front stock location with a good center or possibly move up to the Morel Ti Elate. Maybe no center based on your opinions. 75 to tweets bridged 200 to midbass. 75 to center, 75 not used. Use another amp around 1000w like a JL hd running into a single sealed quality 10 or 12. I read a couple conflicting post so I want to confirm I could use any mono amp running off of the 800i and do all the tuning through the 800i and also use DRC-205 to control the master volume of the 800i and mono amp simultaneously plus control the output of the sub amp by itself using the sub control of the drc.
Any input or recommendations is really appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I plan to run Morel Tempo ultra in front stock location with a good center or possibly move up to the Morel Ti Elate. Maybe no center based on your opinions. 75 to tweets bridged 200 to midbass. 75 to center, 75 not used. Use another amp around 1000w like a JL hd running into a single sealed quality 10 or 12. I read a couple conflicting post so I want to confirm I could use any mono amp running off of the 800i and do all the tuning through the 800i and also use DRC-205 to control the master volume of the 800i and mono amp simultaneously plus control the output of the sub amp by itself using the sub control of the drc.
I can answer these questions since I use the Vxi800. Yes you can use any amp for the sub. You basically setup the sub channel in the Vxi800 on the pre-analog output channel and eq it before sending the signal to your sub amp. This allows you to eq everything within the Vxi DSP. I use the DRC-205 as my master volume and the sub knob for the sub trim on the pre-analog output channel going to your sub amp. I tuned everything with the HU volume set to approx 75% volume and that is not ever adjusted after that.

As far as the other questions, there are far better people on here than me that can answer those, I’m still a noobie!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have read through this entire thread but I may have forgot a few things!!

I hope someone can give me some good input on designing a system using these amps. My car is similar to Mssmith so I would love to hear your opinion too. I have a new 2017 Buick Lacrosse with the Bose Centerpoint 11 speaker system. I bought this car new with the intentions of building a descent SQ system. I will use the factory deck using Android auto using Tidal or Spotify premium for the source and build a stealth system. Car has 6.5s in all 4 doors, 3.5 center, tweeters in pillars, 6x9 woofers in rear deck and small speakers in each rear pillar.

Option 1: Use NavTV digital into vxi800 and leave rear doors on original amp and fade back when people are in rear seat.

Option 2: Run the high level speaker wires directly off the Bose amp into the JL so I can have Lt, Rt and center. If the Bose system does upmixing then I hate to defeat it with the NavTV and wonder if I could build a descent 2 seat system keeping the center and then have a different preset for when I am in the car by myself without the center.
Seems like that if I am not compromising much running off the high levels I could potentially have a better system with 2 people in the car and hopefully almost as good by myself. I have many more questions but this is my primary one. What difference or problems will I notice between high levels and Toslink?

I run the 1000/5i with a NavTV in a 2018 GMC Sierra Denali and it works awesome. NavTV is seamless and the optical goes straight to the amp. Keep in mind that the optical connection is attenuated a bit for some reason over analog (see this thread for details) but is still gets plenty loud and works awesome. I also use the DRC-205 mounted in my center console right where my hand naturally rests and it was probably the best decision I made because it is really great for fine tuning on the fly when listening to various songs.

As far as using multiple amp you can definitely do this. I have the vxi1000/5i driving a sub, my tweeters and my rears. I then have a separate focal amp bridged at 200x2 for the midbass in the front doors. I have the signal to focal amp processed by the VXi DSP and everything is flawless. Really nice setup and super compact as well. The only thing you have to get right is tuning the gain on the secondary amp to get the sound balanced, but once you do that it will rock. Everything controls smoothly with the DRC you cannot tell that I have multiple amps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks to both of you for the info. I was pretty sure I could do that but wanted to make sure.

Really curious about the difference in quality running the high levels into the vxi and retaining the center vs the NavTV. I haven't been able to figure out if the Bose system is even using upmixing if it isn't then obviously the NavTV would be better but if the inputs are even close it would be a very easy install since all the wiring already goes to the Bose amp in the trunk and the battery is in the trunk too. At least it would be any easy first step until I could eventually run new wire to the front.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks to both of you for the info. I was pretty sure I could do that but wanted to make sure.

Really curious about the difference in quality running the high levels into the vxi and retaining the center vs the NavTV. I haven't been able to figure out if the Bose system is even using upmixing if it isn't then obviously the NavTV would be better but if the inputs are even close it would be a very easy install since all the wiring already goes to the Bose amp in the trunk and the battery is in the trunk too. At least it would be any easy first step until I could eventually run new wire to the front.

Meant to answer your other question about optical vs analog earlier. The Toslink signal is crystal clear, very, very nice, but definitely does not play as loud as the analog for some reason. Still ridiculous loud but just throwing that out there.

I recently bought a nice USB DAC to connect my phone directly to the amp. and tried it with a balanced output analog cable and it is unreal how much louder it can get. Louder than I would ever play it but its cool to have that option.

As far as your center channel concerns go... do you really need it?? Unless you are watching movies from the driver seat I dont think it would be necessary. I'm sure there are guys on this fourm that know a lot more about this than I, but I dont really see the point especially once you have your SQ setup properly you will have a rock solid center image anyway.

I am running AF GB15 + GB60 in the front, in this massive crew cab truck and once I got everything calibrated and tuned it sounds so friggin good. You close your eyes and the sound literally sounds like it is coming from the center of the windshield. In my use case the center speaker would be worthless and/or counter productive I think.

Another thing to add is that I made tunes for the passenger seat and a more balanced tune as well, easily configured in the VXi via TUN and you can switch on the fly with the DRC205 based on whos riding in the car

·
Registered
25 Posts
Meant to answer your other question about optical vs analog earlier. The Toslink signal is crystal clear, very, very nice, but definitely does not play as loud as the analog for some reason. Still ridiculous loud but just throwing that out there.

I recently bought a nice USB DAC to connect my phone directly to the amp. and tried it with a balanced output analog cable and it is unreal how much louder it can get. Louder than I would ever play it but its cool to have that option.

As far as your center channel concerns go... do you really need it?? Unless you are watching movies from the driver seat I dont think it would be necessary. I'm sure there are guys on this fourm that know a lot more about this than I, but I dont really see the point especially once you have your SQ setup properly you will have a rock solid center image anyway.

I am running AF GB15 + GB60 in the front, in this massive crew cab truck and once I got everything calibrated and tuned it sounds so friggin good. You close your eyes and the sound literally sounds like it is coming from the center of the windshield. In my use case the center speaker would be worthless and/or counter productive I think.

Another thing to add is that I made tunes for the passenger seat and a more balanced tune as well, easily configured in the VXi via TUN and you can switch on the fly with the DRC205 based on whos riding in the car
Thanks again!
Yeah, I read about it being quieter, hopefully not so quite you couldn't do an occasional loud demo to someone. Most of the time I would be fine with it.

But what if I could just run the high levels off the Bose amp!!! Wish I could do a side by side comparison. I am really hoping someone who has done both will chime in. That would save me some work plus save me from buying the NavTV. Does the bose system even use upmixing is another important factor.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks again!
Yeah, I read about it being quieter, hopefully not so quite you couldn't do an occasional loud demo to someone. Most of the time I would be fine with it.

But what if I could just run the high levels off the Bose amp!!! Wish I could do a side by side comparison. I am really hoping someone who has done both will chime in. That would save me some work plus save me from buying the NavTV. Does the bose system even use upmixing is another important factor.
Few more details - Through the Toslink it will get plenty loud, louder than you will ever play it most likely. In my truck, typically I just have the DRC205 about half way up and use the head unit controls as normal and its plenty loud. But if I really wanna jam out I turn the head unit to max and use the DRC to fine tune until my ears say NO MORE!!

Main advantage of the NavTv is that is literally just clicks in and it maintains everything just like stock and no tones or phone are amplified, everything is perfectly balanced just like stock.

One thing to note about the bose amp is there is some signal processing going on in there, so if you just grab those inputs there may be some factory crossover points set. I'm sure it is possible with the right gear, but from the research I did you are talking about spending like $200-300 to do a quality setup that way (quality as in handling the chimes and such), or of just a a couple bills more you can get the NavTv and just plug, play and be done with it. Also when you go to sell the car you just unplug it and right back to stock....

One thing to note is that I checked my NavTv (M650-GM) and it does have the CENTER analog output, so if you just have to have that for some reason you can do it with the navTV analog outputs. The Toslink is just 2 channel stereo though. If you know how you want to mix it you could probably configure that in TUN the way you want it. For those details you will have to ask some of the DSP Ninjas around here

·
Registered
25 Posts
I noticed it had the center but it also said no time alignment so that is really basically what I am trying to figure out. If all the Bose outputs are time aligned and upmixed for center channel and I can run that straight into the high level inputs of the VX800/8I and then just eq the new speakers for a good response then I may be golden and have a better 2 SEAT system for less money even though I want to spend more if it would be worth it. The NavTV will just give me a perfect flat signal and eliminate everything else. If Bose doesn't do upmixing then I think everything might be able to be replicated using the center and the NavTV.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I noticed it had the center but it also said no time alignment so that is really basically what I am trying to figure out. If all the Bose outputs are time aligned and upmixed for center channel and I can run that straight into the high level inputs of the VX800/8I and then just eq the new speakers for a good response then I may be golden and have a better 2 SEAT system for less money even though I want to spend more if it would be worth it. The NavTV will just give me a perfect flat signal and eliminate everything else. If Bose doesn't do upmixing then I think everything might be able to be replicated using the center and the NavTV.
For the analog outputs on the NavTV you can use factory time alignment but for driver seat only via a dip switch.

You may be better just going 2 channel Toslink to the VXi, then working with the ninjas here to come up with the best DSP recipe for your center channel. I'm sure it can be done :snacks:

·
Registered
982 Posts
For the analog outputs on the NavTV you can use factory time alignment but for driver seat only via a dip switch.

You may be better just going 2 channel Toslink to the VXi, then working with the ninjas here to come up with the best DSP recipe for your center channel. I'm sure it can be done :snacks:
I use a NAV TV GM650 interface in my own car (Cadillac CT6). The NAV TV interface's center analog output is a simple L+R. It is not upmixed in any way. I am using the interface's Toslink optical output straight into my VX800/8i... then the optical output from that amp to the VX1000/1i sub amp. Very clean, very simple with minimal wiring clutter. I do all the time correction in the VXi amps.

If you want to run the center speaker you can do a L+R sum using the input mixer in the TuN software.

If you want, you can run both digital and analog inputs into the VXi and use preset switching to switch between them. The NAV TV interface allows both outputs to operate concurrently.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thank you msmith. I guess it is probably safe to assume you have the best setup with the NavTV. I probably should start a new thread just trying to find out if the factory Bose even uses upmixing to the center channel. If it doesn't then there would be no reason to just run the high levels off the Bose into the VXI amp which is really what I am trying to figure out. Are you aware of any systems simular to yours except using the high level speaker wires into the amp instead of the toslink? Also do you really utilize the center channel or do you feel like your system would be about the same without it? Another option for me for stage one of my build would be to use NavTV into vx800 75x4 into front tweets and 6.5s in doors and 200x2 into factory 6x9 woofers in rear deck. There would be no sub but I feel if I find the right 6x9 woofers on 200w that it could be enough bass. To make things simple I am really just trying to figure out the best way to utilize the center channel using a vxi amp or if I even want the center channel. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you want, you can run both digital and analog inputs into the VXi and use preset switching to switch between them. The NAV TV interface allows both outputs to operate concurrently.
Msmith, I understand that NavTV allows digital and analog to be output at the same time but I just thought about something else and you may be interested in this too.

So I did figure out that Bose Centerpoint does use upmixing and you are bypassing this on your Cadillac which I think could be very usefull if you want to utilize the center channel to its full potential..

Now when you said I could switch between analog and digital I assume you meant the digital and analog rca inputs from the NavTV. Then I see no reason why I couldn't switch from digital toslink from the NavTV to the high level outputs from the factory bose amp into the vxi800. I am starting to think that for the ultimate 1 seat tune I would use 1 tune on the tun sofrware that uses the digital from the NavTV and then have a 2nd tune on the tun software that uses the high level speaker wires from the Bose amp to retain all the factory upmixing and create the best 2 seat tune.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Msmith, I understand that NavTV allows digital and analog to be output at the same time but I just thought about something else and you may be interested in this too.

So I did figure out that Bose Centerpoint does use upmixing and you are bypassing this on your Cadillac which I think could be very usefull if you want to utilize the center channel to its full potential..

Now when you said I could switch between analog and digital I assume you meant the digital and analog rca inputs from the NavTV. Then I see no reason why I couldn't switch from digital toslink from the NavTV to the high level outputs from the factory bose amp into the vxi800. I am starting to think that for the ultimate 1 seat tune I would use 1 tune on the tun sofrware that uses the digital from the NavTV and then have a 2nd tune on the tun software that uses the high level speaker wires from the Bose amp to retain all the factory upmixing and create the best 2 seat tune.

You can absolutely do this. I have a preset on mine that switches to analog coming from a USB DAC that is a passenger seat tune specifically for when I want to show my system to a friend. You could easily tap the wires coming from the bose amp to accomplish what you want. I would suggest buying a separate harness that way you can just disconnect the factory harness and mod the new one to your heart content without having to cut anything. That way you can return the car to stock no problem when you go to trade it in or sell it.

This harness kit I got from Crutchfield allowed me to make my own harness for my GM BOSE system. This allowed me to directly connect the VXi to the factory speakers without any cuts or splicing. You may be able to get the parts to make your own for cheaper, but for $35 this is pretty easy

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_541APHGM02/PAC-APH-GM02-AmpPro-Speaker-Connection-Harness.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can absolutely do this. I have a preset on mine that switches to analog coming from a USB DAC that is a passenger seat tune specifically for when I want to show my system to a friend. You could easily tap the wires coming from the bose amp to accomplish what you want. I would suggest buying a separate harness that way you can just disconnect the factory harness and mod the new one to your heart content without having to cut anything. That way you can return the car to stock no problem when you go to trade it in or sell it.

This harness kit I got from Crutchfield allowed me to make my own harness for my GM BOSE system. This allowed me to directly connect the VXi to the factory speakers without any cuts or splicing. You may be able to get the parts to make your own for cheaper, but for $35 this is pretty easy

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_541APHGM02/PAC-APH-GM02-AmpPro-Speaker-Connection-Harness.html
Haha, I actually bought that exact harness from Crutchfield yesterday.

Couldn't you have also built a tune for the passenger using your Factory radio and NavTv? What are you gaining with the Dac? Does it have upmixing to the center?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Haha, I actually bought that exact harness from Crutchfield yesterday.

Couldn't you have also built a tune for the passenger using your Factory radio and NavTv? What are you gaining with the Dac? Does it have upmixing to the center?
Oh yes definitely can do that, I just wanted to make 100% sure that you knew that you can have different profiles doing different tunes using whatever inputs you want. You might actually be able to make a tune with both digital and analog inputs being mixed in at the same time. You can download the TUN software and actually simulate this if you want to for free. Seems like it should be possible on the routing configuration.

I do have a passenger tune coming directly from the NavTV as well for convenience sake, but the reason I did the DAC tune for the passenger tune is because I can use the balanced analog output on the DAC to the balanced analog input on the VXi and it is crazy loud compared to the to Toslink. which is what you want for giving a demo to a friend that is asking why you spent so much on your system :) The purists will ding me that there is an additional DAC conversion taking place for the DSP but honestly it sounds so good I dont notice. I just like the extra headroom it gives me when I really want to push my speakers as hard as they can go.

The DAC really is overkill for this (could have just used a headphone to RCA cable), but I had it handy and only use it when travelling so I made it so I can just hook it into the VXI really easy and remove it when I want to use it for headphones or something. All the cables are run in the truck I just slide it into place and connect 2 cables and its ready to go.

Glad you found that harness. It is absolutely perfect for this job. Before I got that one I bought one that wasn't even as good form some bums on the west coast, whom I shall not name, for triple the price and I just returned it.

I have been meaning to put together a build log of all this stuff but just haven't ever got around to it!

What speakers did you decide on?

601 - 620 of 628 Posts