DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

621 - 634 of 634 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks again for the info. I haven't decided completely on which speakers. Still trying to figure all this stuff out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all first time post. Let me start by saying these amps are very nice, but I have a few questions. I guess I should start off by saying this is the first all digital amp I've ever owned and it's giving me some frustrations.

1. I feel absolutely stupid for having to ask this one, but it is what it is. Anyway, how the heck do I set the gain? As in, where the hell is it located at in the Tun software? I see all kinds of +db options but which one is the actual gain?

2. I followed a 4 or 5 step thread on audiofrog forum to set time alignment and crossovers. Oh and I owe that guy (Andy I think) a big thanks for those step by step posts. However, I had to do one thing he was adamant about not doing and that's reverse polarity on one of my door woofers in order to center everything up front. So I'm assuming something is wrong in my install because everything else he stated seem to work perfectly?

3. Will leaving Q factor at default (1.41) cause me to miss a big tweeking option? I'm so confused about Q and how to set it. I also have other annoying things I'm trying to figure out so adding this one right now would just add to the confusion.

4. My volume seems low even though I'm pushing 2100 watts RMS. it literally seems lower than stock, but with much better clarity. Not sure what gives there? My phase all seems good so maybe it's just because the clarity is so much better. Or maybe someone can help me with a direction to go for troubleshooting?

I do also have a Fix 86 ahead of the VXI and that thing gives a nasty hiss. I had to turn down input voltage on the VXI to 2 just to get rid of it. I'm wondering if that's hurting volume?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I can’t say for certain if it was somewhere back along this thread or dumb luck when googling a while back. Can’t seem to find what I’m after now, has anyone here bumped up the output trim levels when using a toslink source? I feel like I remember once reading that allegedly they can be bumped up to +12db. It’s a little annoying that you go digital to avoid input gain matching and then face the conundrum of “fuck I avoided that but they’ve thrown output trim in the mix now”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
I can’t say for certain if it was somewhere back along this thread or dumb luck when googling a while back. Can’t seem to find what I’m after now, has anyone here bumped up the output trim levels when using a toslink source? I feel like I remember once reading that allegedly they can be bumped up to +12db. It’s a little annoying that you go digital to avoid input gain matching and then face the conundrum of “fuck I avoided that but they’ve thrown output trim in the mix now”

You need to contact JL support direct. Going by memory: there's an advanced mode that you can access, but they don't advertise it because it's easy to F things up if you're not experienced.

·
Registered
711 Posts

Post 582 of this thread has info about it. You should be able to turn off error checking and then be able to boost the TOSLINK input some.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a VX800/8i. I want to bridge 4 channels to run 200w x 2 to Audiofrog GB60 4ohm speakers. 2 channels running 75w x 2 to the GB10 4 ohm tweeters. Can I bridge the remaining 2 channels to run an 8 ohm 4" center channel like the Scan 10f? Since it is 8 ohm I think it would only be about 100w. So is it possible to configure the amp like this and does this sound like a good idea? Thanks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a VX800/8i. I want to bridge 4 channels to run 200w x 2 to Audiofrog GB60 4ohm speakers. 2 channels running 75w x 2 to the GB10 4 ohm tweeters. Can I bridge the remaining 2 channels to run an 8 ohm 4" center channel like the Scan 10f? Since it is 8 ohm I think it would only be about 100w. So is it possible to configure the amp like this and does this sound like a good idea? Thanks.
I see no reason that wouldn’t work, I assume bridged 8 ohm would give you a 75 watt channel. Bear in mind if you did do that the centre channel will essentially be a mono channel unless you’ve got a source with a proper centre you can route to it through the dsp.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks. Yes I have Bose Centerpoint and plan on running the high levels from the Bose amp into the VXI to retain the center channel upmixing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does the vx600/6i have an 8-channel dsp? Would I be able to use it for a 3-way system + sub assuming I have another amp for the sub? Or would the other amp also have to be a vxi?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does the vx600/6i have an 8-channel dsp? Would I be able to use it for a 3-way system + sub assuming I have another amp for the sub? Or would the other amp also have to be a vxi?
Not sure about the 600 but I am sure it is probably the same as the 800 which has 2 extra channels that you can run to any amp for the subs and is what I am going to do with the 800.

IMO the 800 is a much better choice because you can bridge 4 channels for 200x2 going to the mid bass. So it is essentially a 6 channel with 2 of the channels being more powerful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My tweets are [email protected] same as mids and the 8" midbass are 4ohm so i'll be running two 1000/5i's per side bridging the tweets and mids and using the sub channels for midbass with a bit of headroom

·
Registered
68 Posts
While I like the ability to bridge channels when you need more to drive power hungry drivers, you still burn 2 DSP channels for each bridged channel. I added a second, non Vxi amp and needed to run my rear door speakers off the head unit. Not a big deal as I do have some DSP control in my Kenwood, have the volume lower, don't really need much from them but would have preferred to control them from the JL.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I as well have a separate amp for refill and two jl 600 slash running 4 sealed 8w7's behind rear seat. Yes im running dyn's 362 drivers up front actve & 242 rear fill passive

621 - 634 of 634 Posts