DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

661 - 680 of 694 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Why did u change the setup from the modeled photo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I couldn't fit the vxi hub and the Zen interface next to each other because then the left amp would hit the window regulator for the rear window. I'll make that adjustment in the beauty panel

·
Registered
25 Posts
That’s a lotta power for mids/highs. You tuning it yourself? My 8ch is plenty power for my c7’s (zr800 mid bass). I reckon you’ll be turning down the midbass considerably with that 400w going to them. Perfect!
yes sir, the only reason im running these 2 1000/5s per side is because i already had them. i realize the 800/8 is the proper amplifier to run this setup with. i will attempt to tune it myself otherwise i will take it over to my friends at provost motorsport in woodland CA to help me out. and man i am jealous of your zr800 never got to hear one of those drivers:confused:

·
Registered
168 Posts
yes sir, the only reason im running these 2 1000/5s per side is because i already had them. i realize the 800/8 is the proper amplifier to run this setup with. i will attempt to tune it myself otherwise i will take it over to my friends at provost motorsport in woodland CA to help me out. and man i am jealous of your zr800 never got to hear one of those drivers:confused:
I was actually gonna make some adapters next week and see how my c7-650’s do in place of. The 8’s hammer though. They played well on just 75w but I recently took my rear channels off (c-2x) and bridges them. Coming from 5 1/4” mids on my previous system, it just puts a smile on my face when those 8’s are thumping away! I’d like to see JL make a c7-850cw or even a c7-1050cw lol.

I just bring up the tuning cause there was one guy who upgraded from an 8ch to dual 5ch’s and he said the sound quality was worse. That makes zero sense to me, I think it had to be in the tuning. There’s a lot going on with all the levels alone with that setup but with the VXi hub I imagine it’ll be quite manageable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was actually gonna make some adapters next week and see how my c7-650’s do in place of. The 8’s hammer though. They played well on just 75w but I recently took my rear channels off (c-2x) and bridges them. Coming from 5 1/4” mids on my previous system, it just puts a smile on my face when those 8’s are thumping away! I’d like to see JL make a c7-850cw or even a c7-1050cw lol.

I just bring up the tuning cause there was one guy who upgraded from an 8ch to dual 5ch’s and he said the sound quality was worse. That makes zero sense to me, I think it had to be in the tuning. There’s a lot going on with all the levels alone with that setup but with the VXi hub I imagine it’ll be quite manageable.
i emailed jl audio support with the question as to how to run my system and route all the channels on the tun software. the gentleman was super nice and sent me the tun files for each amp with the presets already setup up the way i told him i wanted my system.

·
Registered
555 Posts
just wanted to let everyone know that my 800/8 is still kicking total ass in my tiny car after almost 2 years. still sounds great and the multiple tunes from the click of the remote knob are nice when i have a passenger. would still love lower profile connectors, but the amp and software are second to none (easy to use and an amazing amount and types of filters etc.) running Dynaudio tweeters, audiofrog 4 inch mids and illusion audio carbon 8's in the doors bridged off of 4 channels. works great and clean in the convertible. i am actually looking to get another car so i can put another system in there with 2 or 3 vxi amps!

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I love my JL Vxi800/8i and I feel the SQ part of it is top notch but even better is the bluetooth with iPad app and elimination of all the wire that would have been needed with separate DSP and amp.

Reactions: tfunk182 and msmith

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone I'm brand new to the site, I have been reading all the posst in this section and I can see there is a great deal of knowledge around here. I have a question, I currently have the vxi 600.1 its powering a w6v3 12in in the HO box. I got a great deal on a w7 12 in on black Friday. I am definitely going to stick with jl for the amp but I am having trouble picking out an amp and I do want to add more bass to my setup. I have been looking at 2amps the vxi 1000.1 and the hd 1200, the problem I have with the vxi is at 3 ohms it is only rated at 800 watts which is only 200 watts more than I currently have with the vxi600.1 and the w6v3 12. I'm wondering if it will give me the output I want or should i just get the tryed and true hd1200 which should give an audiable boost to the bass in my truck with the new w7? If anyone has any suggestions on which amp I should buy for the w7 it would be greatly appreciated. I have looked at the hd750 but I would like the added power of the other 2 amps I mentioned for future proofing the system.

Thank you all for your time,
Josh

·
Registered
3 Posts
Next year you can expect versions of the monoblock models with a stripped down feature set. Already in the works.
@msmith hate to call this out two years later but are the stripped down monoblocks still on the table? :ROFLMAO:

And also I just read all 34 pages of this thread today (sorry bossman), and it's confirmed my hunch that a VX1000/5i is indeed what I want to build my system around. A big part of that I attribute to your support to everyone here.

·
Registered
984 Posts
@msmith hate to call this out two years later but are the stripped down monoblocks still on the table? :ROFLMAO:

And also I just read all 34 pages of this thread today (sorry bossman), and it's confirmed my hunch that a VX1000/5i is indeed what I want to build my system around. A big part of that I attribute to your support to everyone here.
Yes, they are... they were delayed due to all the fun stuff in 2020, but we are reigniting the project this year.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I have a VXi network hub for sale if anyone needs one...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Aloha,

Can anyone confirm that I won’t need a fix 82 to get a clean input from a 2021 Tacoma factory head unit? It’s the standard stereo, not the premium jbl offering. Haven’t taken delivery yet and my local dealership doesn’t have any, so I can’t play with it.

The only thing I note of potential concern in the manual is an “Automatic Sound Levelizer”, a speed based adjustment that can be turned off. No mention of time alignment or eq functions that I see. Seems ok to me.

Thanks a lot, appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
Aloha,

Can anyone confirm that I won’t need a fix 82 to get a clean input from a 2021 Tacoma factory head unit? It’s the standard stereo, not the premium jbl offering. Haven’t taken delivery yet and my local dealership doesn’t have any, so I can’t play with it.

The only thing I note of potential concern in the manual is an “Automatic Sound Levelizer”, a speed based adjustment that can be turned off. No mention of time alignment or eq functions that I see. Seems ok to me.

I have a '21 Tacoma myself. The standard audio system is still configured with an all-pass filter on the mids around 315Hz. While there isn't an option to create an all-pass filter on the input side to address the signal coming in, the VXi amps can create one all pass filter per output channel. This should allow you to compensate for the all-pass filter from the OE head unit. OR... you can swap out the head unit.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Aloha,

The brand new Kicker KEYLOC interface and KEY200.4 & KEY500.1 DSP/Amps might work well for you. The KEYLOC corrects the OEM signal similar to JL Audio's FiX units but for less than $150 and will correct OEM All Pass Filters, Digital Delay (time alignment), EQ and more. The Kicker KEY DSP/Amps are tiny and have an "Auto Tune" feature using a supplied microphone. Great options.

·
Registered
232 Posts
FYI I have two VX1000/5i and a VX1000/1i BNIB for sale in the Classifieds.

661 - 680 of 694 Posts