DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
721 - 734 of 734 Posts

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Cool, I do have the VXi remote, and it's right by my power source switch so it'd be an easy thing to do.

Will there be any difference in audio quality going with the digital output vs the RCA for the Bluetooth receiver? Does the VX800/8i have a built in DAC essentially, so does it not matter?

I want to go with Bluetooth 5.0 so I can get long range and have my phone outside the van when music is playing (my rear speakers are mounted on the doors, so they can play outside music when the doors are open while camping). Otherwise the MBT-RX would be appealing for 12V power wiring. As it is with the other ones, I'd need to use a voltage regulator to 5v DC, or use the AC adapter to one of my outlets.
In my humble opinion, I don't think you'll notice a difference in using the MBT-RX (analog out) versus another BT receiver with a digital out, partially because the RCA run would be short (I.e. low likelihood for interference). You'd basically be betting on whether the MBT-RX or VXi has a better DAC. But, if you already have the VXi remote installed, then it would probably be easier to use some BT receiver that has a digital out, just so you're not introducing another remote/switch into your system unnecessarily (and adding unnecessary expense). I'm sure you can find another 12v BT receiver with a digital out. I haven't actually looked, but I'm just guessing it exists.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Its saved to whatever tune you last loaded in the DSP. It will still be there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This may be a silly question - does the VX800/8in have a built in DAC? I.e. if I have a bluetooth receiver with optical out, and plug that in to the VXi optical input - the amp must have it's own internal DAC to convert that to analog, right?

Or would I get better audio quality using a Bluetooth receiver with a built in DAC (i.e. iFi Zen Blue v2) going to RCA inputs?

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
This may be a silly question - does the VX800/8in have a built in DAC? I.e. if I have a bluetooth receiver with optical out, and plug that in to the VXi optical input - the amp must have it's own internal DAC to convert that to analog, right?

Or would I get better audio quality using a Bluetooth receiver with a built in DAC (i.e. iFi Zen Blue v2) going to RCA inputs?
Hard to say whether the VXi's DAC versus some other DAC would be better, but the VXi (or any other DSP with an optical in and analog out [whether via RCA or amplified speaker-level outs]) has a built in DAC

·
Registered
853 Posts
Vxi are solid and any issues are usually related to user error, but the software has been greatly improved over time, and now with Tun 4, i think it's gonna be hard to beat these amps. looking forward to using 2 in my next system. plus JL customer service and tech support is second to none. you can get one and feel like you made a great choice all around.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Too many speakers? I have a 67 Impala I am installing Morel Virtus Carbon 603s in custom kick panels (tweet, 3” mid, 6.5” woof) and the JL C2-690tx in the rear panel tray. I have a single 10w6 sealed in the trunk. I am running a VXi800/8 so that I can run each speaker active and the sub has its own XD600 via the VXi pre amp outs. I am worried that the 6.5” may be a little underpowered and I am wondering if bridging those two and ditching the rears (or finding another way to incorporate them) would be better. I don’t necessarily like front only setups but if I lose too much low end up front that will probably sound worse. Can’t wait to find someone with the new JL-Max gear so I can get it really dialed in. Any suggestions are super welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, 2008 Corvette, 2000 F250 Superduty (bought it new in 2000!)
25 Posts
Anyone have any cool amp rack pics w VXI amps
I am installing three VXi.'s in my 2020 Expedition right now. 2-600/6i's and a 600/1i along with an HD1200 and a Soundigital 400.4. I'm not doing all of them on one rack because I am trying to preserve as much of the floor storage as possible and I don't want anything visible. I'll post some pics when its done.

721 - 734 of 734 Posts