DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got two jl 12w3v3-d subs ran off a pdx1.1000 amp, i just built two sealed boxes which are to jl's exact volume to go in a reg cab dodge ram, i was wondering how much louder would a ported box be vs/ a sealed box,

i was going to build ported boxes but i was thinking that i was going to be only like 2ft away from each sub so it would probably sound not all that clear since i woukd be so close the subs, and i may will hear the air from the ports.

i have never heard personally a great sound from a ported box yet, so im contiplating if i should should two ported boxes or not.please give me some ideas
if i had maybe a car the trunk is further away from the driver seat, so a ported box would be a good thing, and less sound would reach the driver

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's probably a moot point since the correct ported boxes would take up a lot more valuable cab space, but you can probably expect 3-6 db gain by going ported. That would be around the tuning frequency. The distance that you are away from them should not matter though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Won't I be able to hear port noise and I think it would make a big difference if my sub box was right next to me or like 15ft away from me in a trunk ... How wouldn't it?

·
Registered
834 Posts
If the box is built correctly, you won't hear port noise. I had w3v3's awhile back and that PDX might be a bit much for them, so just watch that. I had them ported at 31hz and they sounded pretty good. A little dry and struggled down low with Umph...but still not bad for what I picked them up for ($130).

Oh....ported can be done! Here's my 3cuft slot ported box for my DD 3510e's on 1000 each. Talk about loud in the car...wow

1 - 4 of 4 Posts