DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What ohm reading should I get ?
Its wired for 2 ohms not 8 ohms but the speaker states it's a 4ohm.
A friend thinks my sub is blown, when I turn up the gain on my jl CD 600/1v2 it does clip .
He states that it shouldn't and that w6 can handle a lot more then that amp
How do I test my sub ?

·
Registered
487 Posts
If it’s wired for two ohms it should read two ohms At the amplifier, each individual coil will measure 4 ohms when all wiring is disconnected

If you turn up the gain and the amp clips, then that’s the amp! Your mate doesn’t know a lot about amps, the amp determines when a signal clips, a subwoofer doesn’t clip or decide when an amp clips

I’d ignore you’re mate and set the amp up so it’s just the right side of clip, if the clip light (I’m presuming that’s what you’re looking at) just slightly blinks a fraction then that’s ok, but if you are hearing something dodgy I’d suggest getting the amp set up correctly as it sounds like you aren’t so experienced and your mate is a bit clueless from what you’ve said so far

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
So if I used a multimeter it should read 2 ohms
At the box terminals?
It won't be exactly 2 ohms. If you have a dual 4 ohm sub it can either be wired to 2, or 8 ohms. If it's wired to 2 ohms you can expect to see somewhere around 2-3 ohms, maybe a bit less than 2, maybe a bit more. If you wanted to pull the sub from the box you could test each voicecoil, but you probably won't need to as long as you have a reasonable reading at the terminals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts