DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new sub and want great SQ, so I've narrowed it down to these two subs. It will be a 12" powered by a Kicker ZX1000.1. Which of the two will have better SQ in a SEALED box built to spec?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what brought you two those two subs?

Whats your budget?

I'd choose the JL out of those two... have heard that sub in a 12 and was pretty impressed.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
If I was going to spend 325 I would take the JBL GTI.
I wouldnt think about a JL.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I own a 12w6v2 and love it. The Gti has more bottom end and greater power handling. I think the JL gets a lil sloppy when it approaches its' limits, which is reaLY loud. The gti just takes all the power you throw at it. It's gonna be the next sub I try. If you don't listen to your music insanely loud all the time, the JL will be more than adequate.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I have owned both and the JBL is a different kind of beast.
It can play SQ and do it at SPL levels.
I would never have parted with them but they were stolen out of my garage.
FWIW I had the 15's

·
Registered
834 Posts
1,000 is a bit much for the 12w6, but it's not like you'll be maxing out the gains. I love my 12w6's but the GTI gets rave reviews also. No one can tell you what "sounds better" as everyone has a different opinion on what sounds good, what the proper sound of "SQ" is, etc etc. That's why you see so many people buying things and selling them quickly...granted it's a damn bug to be in car audio lol...but it's because you just never know what YOU like until you try a few things.

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
nope JBL GTI is much better best and one of the lowest distortion subs designed. If you got the depth get one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I own a 10" JBL GTI mk2 nad all I can say is WOW! its a very great sub that can play a lot of frequencies, considering I'm powering it with an outdated and old audiobahn act2300hct

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
Will the JBL sound as good in a sealed box? That's the only thing I'm unsure about
Yep, check out the sensitivity of the JBl vs the JL and you'll see it will take less power also to get the beast moving

for instance the JL 12 is 85.9 and the JBL GTI MKII is 91db

so basically if you gave the JL 500w rms you could give the JBL 250 maybe less and just be as loud.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep, check out the sensitivity of the JBl vs the JL and you'll see it will take less power also to get the beast moving

for instance the JL 12 is 85.9 and the JBL GTI MKII is 91db

so basically if you gave the JL 500w rms you could give the JBL 250 maybe less and just be as loud.
What he said :laugh: The JBL will "sound" better in a Ported enclosure

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Wasn't the W6 one of the lowest distortion subs ever Klippeled?

I'm not sure what they do at maximum power because I've never pushed them past their thermal limits. I've always had them in a larger than spec sealed, ported, bandpass, or IB all of which required much less than rated power.

I can say that in infinite baffle, well past xmax, the suspension and motor of the 12W6 produce no noise and it sounds very nice all the way to it's mechanical limits which is around 25mm one way. It's a very composed subwoofer at it's mechanical limits.

Throw one in a larger than spec'd sealed box and you will lower power requirements and get a flatter response with more bottom end. I first had mine in the factory recommended 1.25' box, then 1.5, 1.75, and eventually infinite baffle. I also have run them bandpassed and ported but IB was my favorite for SQ and great low end.

·
Registered
146 Posts
i would go gti mkii all day.. and i have several months of listening experience with both in sealed enclosures powered by the same amp JL 750/1 HD. did daily driving with both interchanged for a year.

when i ran the jl w6 12 i always wanted more... just not enough. 2 is nice though! sq is still in top 10 subs no doubt in my mind though.
when i ran the gti mkii 12 i really enjoyed it and never left me needing more. can feed it lots of power if needed and ported gets MUCH louder then the w6. just gives you more extension on every level. love the high sensitively so if power is at a minimum you will get the most of the gti regardless.
The w6 got a little "fragile" at high volume for my liking. the best way i can describe it is i became "aware" and scared it would blow when i turned it up. never had that thought with the GTI.

especially for 350$ or less GTI is honestly a steal new.

just my .02cents

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
Wasn't the W6 one of the lowest distortion subs ever Klippeled?

I'm not sure what they do at maximum power because I've never pushed them past their thermal limits. I've always had them in a larger than spec sealed, ported, bandpass, or IB all of which required much less than rated power.

I can say that in infinite baffle, well past xmax, the suspension and motor of the 12W6 produce no noise and it sounds very nice all the way to it's mechanical limits which is around 25mm one way. It's a very composed subwoofer at it's mechanical limits.

Throw one in a larger than spec'd sealed box and you will lower power requirements and get a flatter response with more bottom end. I first had mine in the factory recommended 1.25' box, then 1.5, 1.75, and eventually infinite baffle. I also have run them bandpassed and ported but IB was my favorite for SQ and great low end.

The JLW6v2 is an excellent sub, just compared to the JBL IMHO it's a different beast.

i would go gti mkii all day.. and i have 6 months of experience with both in sealed enclosures powered by the same amp JL 750/1 HD

when i ran the jl w6 12 i always wanted more... just not enough. 2 is nice though! sq is still in top 10 subs no doubt in my mind though.
when i ran the gti mkii 12 i really enjoyed it and never left me needing more. can feed it lots of power if needed and ported gets MUCH louder then the w6. just gives you more extension on every level. love the high sensitively so if power is at a minimum you will get the most of the gti regardless.
The w6 got a little "fragile" at high volume for my liking. the best way i can describe it is i became "aware" and scared it would blow when i turned it up. never had that thought with the GTI.

especially for 350$ or less GTI is honestly a steal new.

just my .02cents
I agree :thumbsup:

both great subs, one can get to beast level if needed...

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
this is a great discussion as I am planning on the 15" version of the JBL for my biuld. the 4cuft ported box that JBL recommends.

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
So the GTI will sound better SQ-wise than the W6V2? I'm more concerned with that than how loud it will get
Both will sound good, I favor the JBL more, I've used the 13W6v2's before and love them but just feel the GTI is quite a bit better sounding.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts