DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember when the W7's first came out people were hyping them to be the ultimate sub. Best SQ and SPL all in one package. Now I'm getting ready to build my sound system and I'm getting the idea that the W7's are no longer considered SQ subs? I'm not overly concerned about SPL I just want really good SQ from my subs. Which subs are considered the top SQ subs now? Back in the day it was Alchemy, Perfects, W7's, and IDQ's. As of right now I'm leaning towards putting an 12" IDQ v3.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
It is a badass sub, there's no denying that. I find it a little bloated to listen to, but EQ and listening preference can fix that. I'd recommend you just build the box to the RIGHT spec for the sub to get about .7 Qtc, not just what JL says. They tend to build the box to handle higher power handling, which would be a smaller, less ideal box for a flat response.

EQ can fix a peak or valley in the response pretty well, and as long as you are sending it clean power and it is in a well-built box, I can't see a problem w/ using it.

Reactions: Bluenote

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I would take a look at the W6 or the FI audio FI.Q

·
Registered
216 Posts
I remember when the W7's first came out people were hyping them to be the ultimate sub. Best SQ and SPL all in one package. Now I'm getting ready to build my sound system and I'm getting the idea that the W7's are no longer considered SQ subs? I'm not overly concerned about SPL I just want really good SQ from my subs. Which subs are considered the top SQ subs now? Back in the day it was Alchemy, Perfects, W7's, and IDQ's. As of right now I'm leaning towards putting an 12" IDQ v3.
The W7 is a really pretty sub. Also really expensive.

There are a number of smaller sub manufacturers that make fantastic SQ subs that often get missed when people are putting together lists of 'good subs'.

Take a look at some of the Fi subs. The great thing about these guys is that there are numerous build options available when you order one. You won't find a more customizable sub than Fi. Depending on your needs you can choose different coil, cooling, heat sink, pole, chamfer, and leadwire options.

The Fi car audio people are very active in the SSA forums.

Some other brands to be considered are Stereo Integrity, Sound Splinter, Elemental Designs, Incriminator....

If you're looking to spend the most buck for your bang, then the JL W7 is a great way to go. If you want the most bang for your buck I truly believe there are better options than the JL.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Out of all the Cars I've seen in Los Angeles not one of them had a W7 in it; I seem to be the only one. There's just too many cheaper Subs that sound really good.

BTW

I bought mine before I got to DIYMA

·
Registered
453 Posts
Listening to Michaelsil1's car, you'd never guess there was a monster in his trunk. His W7 set-up is the only one I've heard that resists going stupid happy with the output.

·
Old Schooler
962 Posts
I always scored very well in sub bass competing in IASCA with a single 10W7 and I also typically hit around 130 dbs with my SQ setting since I would always forget to change it before the SPL judge came by :blush: (I'm sure it was capable of much more). The interesting thing is people would not believe it was a W7 until I showed them and they always commented "I thought the W7 was just an SPL sub" ;)

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I always scored very well in sub bass competing in IASCA with a single 10W7 and I also typically hit around 130 dbs with my SQ setting since I would always forget to change it before the SPL judge came by :blush: (I'm sure it was capable of much more). The interesting thing is people would not believe it was a W7 until I showed them and they always commented "I thought the W7 was just an SPL sub" ;)
Who said Tiger's couldn't Purr. :D

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
x2

DD get overlooked a lot in the SQ realm.

Also the JBL wgti is a great sub.
X3 - DD subwoofers sound pretty good when you don't tune them so damn high!

·
Registered
249 Posts
The JL W7 is a nice sub. But, I have to agree with everyone there are far superior subs out there that offer better performance and sound for alot less money. DD, Fi, AE, SSA, SoundSplinter, AQ, Treo. There are several brands worth looking at over JL.

·
Old Schooler
962 Posts
Hey Marv, how much power were you running to your sub?
About 750 watts

The JL W7 is a nice sub. But, I have to agree with everyone there are far superior subs out there that offer better performance and sound for alot less money. DD, Fi, AE, SSA, SoundSplinter, AQ, Treo. There are several brands worth looking at over JL.
What testing criteria did you use to determine this?

·
Registered
249 Posts
About 750 watts

What testing criteria did you use to determine this?
Its a personal opinion Marv. JL is like RF. They got to big to quick and forgot alot about the quality of the product for quanity. People are so quick to jump on the JL bandwagon because of the name. My point is there are so many other "not so popular" companies that make a better driver for equal or less money. Thats all.:D

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
No matter how you put it the W7 is an impressive driver. At one time I had 2 13w7s on the drawing board but it fell though due to lack of funding. I think regardless of price these are very appealing, from the mounting mechanism to the bottomless design.

BTW subs greater than 13 inches are feasible and perfectly ok, I have busted that myth for myself. I think their marketing department is on crack but otherwise very nice.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Superior? How so? Out of what you listed, the AE to me is the only one that has a decent motor, but for the most part your entire list is made up of generic overhung motors, with nothing special to lower inductance or to keep the motor linear over it's operating range, which means they're probably all going to sound very similar.

I always laugh to my self when the w7 comes up and people say there is something so much better out there, yet their reasoning is based on price alone. If the 12w7 was readily available for 300 bucks brand new with full warranty from JL, you'd definitely be singing a different tune.

Are they expensive? Yep, but that's not why I don't use them. For me, they don't work with my amp, and they don't work in the space I want, so I opt for something different.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.