DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am looking for a 4 channel to go along with my JL XD800/8v2. I was thinking about the XD400/4v2 but started to look at the specs of the RD line and to me they look almost identical (according to Crutchfield). Can some one please tell me why the RD line is SO much cheaper than the XD line? What am i gaining for the extra money?

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
The crossovers on the XD can be defeated but they can't be on the RD. Just something you have to work around but no big deal. And the RD has clipping indicators. I also think the XD amps are a little smaller footprint but just by a little. You also get a lot more choices with the XD line to better fit your power needs.

Other than that, they're both great amps. If the RD series will fit your needs there's no real reason to choose the XD over them.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I believe Manville (JL Audio) stated in a different thread the difference in RD and XD is the power supply, crossovers and size. The RD line gets great reviews.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I’ve ran both and currently have two XD’s in one of my vehicles. They’re both really good amps. Neither has ever given me problems. Personally, the XD sounded a little better...fuller maybe. That being said, it could have just been in my head. Has anyone ever done a bench test comparison of the two? Surely there’s a video out there somewhere.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve ran both and currently have two XD’s in one of my vehicles. They’re both really good amps. Neither has ever given me problems. Personally, the XD sounded a little better...fuller maybe. That being said, it could have just been in my head. Has anyone ever done a bench test comparison of the two? Surely there’s a video out there somewhere.
I am running a DSP so the crossovers etc. are really of no use to me. So if you were to buy one of them today based only on sound quality and price.... XD or RD?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am running a DSP so the crossovers etc. are really of no use to me. So if you were to buy one of them today based only on sound quality and price.... XD or RD?
Personally, and only based on my unscientific perception that the XD sounds a small amount “fuller and clearer”, I’d buy the XD. Again though...they are both excellent. If nothing else, the XD amps look much nicer, IMO. The RD has plastic chassis, and the XD has aluminum. This is assuming the few hundred dollar difference between two RD amps versus comparable XD amps wasn’t an issue.

If there were budget concerns, I’d absolutely go with RD and concentrate on quality speakers, sound deadening, and a quality DSP. All three of theses items trump any difference between the two amps.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
I wonder how much difference there is between the power supplies in the two lineups? I don't recall ever thinking the power supply was an issue in my RD900/5 so it must be plenty sufficient. Thinking more, isn't the XD regulated and the RD not?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I recently purchased an XD600/6v2. THe main reason that I went with the XD is simply becuase they don't offer a 6-channel amp in the RD line. :) I to am using a DSP, so I defintiely wanted to be able to completely disable the crossovers on the amp itself. The build quality is fantastic.

One thing that I found though (applies to all JL Amps probably due to the design of their terminals) - you shouldn't use wire ferrules with them - at least not with the speaker wires. I tried using wire ferrules for the first time (for power and speaker connections at the amp) and it actually "broke" the speaker terminals. Best I can tell, the wire ferrules didn't go into the terminals quite far enough and when you tighten the terminals, it caused them to "clamp" unevenly, thereby causing the top part of the "clamp" to "come off" at the back. Then they simply fall out when you remove the wires! In my case, I actually had to return the amp for a different defect, so I got "lucky" - I couldn't find an easy way to reattach that top "clamp" either. I mean you could work around the issue after they came off, but it kind of sucked. DIdn't have any issues with the power terminals, but I removed the ferrules on those as well before I connected everything to the replacement amp as I didn't want to risk it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I wonder how much difference there is between the power supplies in the two lineups? I don't recall ever thinking the power supply was an issue in my RD900/5 so it must be plenty sufficient. Thinking more, isn't the XD regulated and the RD not?
Here is what Manville Smith said in the other thread about the RD/XD differences

"The core amplifier sections are essentially the same design, with some differences in component selection and layout. Power supply and input sections are a little simpler in RD.

There are some feature differences as well. XD has more flexible signal processing.

XD is more compact.

And there are many more models in the XD line, too."

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hi all, I am looking for a 4 channel to go along with my JL XD800/8v2. I was thinking about the XD400/4v2 but started to look at the specs of the RD line and to me they look almost identical (according to Crutchfield). Can some one please tell me why the RD line is SO much cheaper than the XD line? What am i gaining for the extra money?
They are almost identical, I think the pots on the XD are higher quality, and calibrated. The XD is a bit smaller. The crossovers CAN be defeated on both. You can't run the XD bridged without driving all 4 inputs (you need 2 Y adapters), the RD will bridge with 1 input per pair of channels. Here are some closeups of the controls. The controls unique to each amp are marked with pluses.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I am running one of each, I've noticed no difference in sound quality at all, but the higher quality pots on the XD make it easier to tweak the gain. If you were to walk into a car audio shop that has both, you should get the XD, if they only had the RD, you could buy that without any regrets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts