DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys I have a very lightweight Acura NSX I run at the track. This car is somewhat loud, but it has a full interior and I do drive it on the weekends. The factory Bose system has an issue, and in trying to shed some weight I decided to dump the factory radio, amps, subwoofer, power antenna, CD changer and bracket. It was all pretty heavy.

My "new" system consists of my iphone as my head unit, and a set of the $800 Rockford component sets T3652-S (I got these mainly because they use neo magnets on the woofers and are very light, plus I have an RF connection which got me these at cost). I plan to use a JBL MS-2 with this, and so I need a 2 channel amp. There is no sub, no rears (car is a 2-seater).

Now I am trying to get a class D amp (I need small and light) and narrowed my choice to 2 amps. The JL XD200/2 and the Polk Audio D2000.2 (the one that looks like the Hertz and like 3 other brands).

The Polk has A LOT more power. 125x2 versus 75x2 for the JL, 250x2 at 2 ohms versus 100x2 for the JL. The speakers are rated at 125W RMS, and having no sub, I figured get as much power as possible. So the Polk seems to win. Their size and weight are roughly the same. The JL seems to have a higher damping factor, this may be better for some of the low bass notes the MS-2 may EQ into the system. Not sure... it is a lot less power.

The JL however does have one big advantage in that it has a remote level control. This, from what I understand is done cleanly and digitally preamp level. If I use the JBL MS-2 Processor, it requires a fixed line in from my phone to work properly. That means I lose my volume control. With the JL, I can use the HD-LRC level control. Problem solved. With the Polk, I have to use something else like a JL CL-RLC. More wires, another adaptor, another way to get possible noise. I don't know. It's another add-on.

I am not an audio newbie, I really know my stuff.... but I am looking for some opinions from guys that really know their stuff. It is hard to judge because no one has heard the Polk yet, but does anyone have a "gut feeling" on this system and which way they would go?

Thanks.

Going in this:

The door:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW, all my music on my phone is encoded at 320KBPS for those that are going to tell me the phone is a bad source. I know it is not ideal but for all the reasons stated above I don't want a head unit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
50 views and no replies? No one has an opinion on this? I have already ordered the JL, I only have a few days to return it. Need to make a decision to keep or exchange. Chime in guys.... If you make a choice please tell me why.

Thanks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think you have really anwered your own question. THe JL's ability to control volume with the HD-LRC is really a plus. As far as power goes, the is a difference between the two but not enought to make a hugh difference for everyday listening. If you really crank it up the extra power from the rockford might provide some added head room. That being said, I have heard the XD amps and they really sound nice. Very clean. Would never have know it was a class D amp. I think you made a good choice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks... of course... if I use the iphone's own volume control and toss the MS-2, I don't need the level control at all.

I hope the MS-2 is a worthwhile piece, it is just now back in stock... if it doesn't work then I may as well have just gone with the more powerful Polk.

Strange... the MS-2 is "in stock" at crutchfield, yet "out of stock" on JBL's own website.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Get the JL XD400/4, bridge it to 2 channels, and have more power than either option.
Weight should be a minimal difference. Its only 1.5" wider, so fit shouldnt be an issue.

Win/Win

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get the JL XD400/4, bridge it to 2 channels, and have more power than either option.
Weight should be a minimal difference. Its only 1.5" wider, so fit shouldnt be an issue.

Win/Win
LOL... thanks for the obvious solution. That was a good idea. Just changed my order. Now hopefully that extra 1.5" won't screw me, this car has NO ROOM.

Now what's up with that MS-2?!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
LOL... thanks for the obvious solution. That was a good idea. Just changed my order. Now hopefully that extra 1.5" won't screw me, this car has NO ROOM.

Now what's up with that MS-2?!
Not sure, but Andy is a member of the board (and an engineer I believe, for JBL), and can get you some info, Im sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts