DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided its time to upgrade my (2) Hertz HX250 subs and wanted some opinions.

The subs will be in a 2010 Toyota Tundra Crew Max behind the rear seats. With the current subs I had to give up a little bit of the seat movement but really has left plenty of passenger leg room.

I have been thinking about going to a pair of 10W7's or the 13TW5's. I would appreciate opinions on the differences between these two subs. I have been told the output of the two is about the same but the sound quality of the TW5 is actually better. I always thought the thought that the W7 was a reference sub.

The obvious benefit of the TW5 is that I will get back some leg room but will I experience the benefits listed above.

Also , power is not an problem as I will be providing about 650 per sub which is fine for either set up.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Sealed, I would go with the 13TW5. That should deliver good all-around performance while saving you some space.

If you were going to port the 10W7s though, I think that would be ideal in terms of output. However, going this route will require more robust midbass to blend well.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have owned 10w7s in the past, both ported and sealed in sedans, currently have 2 13tw5s.

The space advantage of the 13TW5s is undeniable. I have a TL with 2 of them and can still fit 3 golf bags in the trunk.

In terms of output, the 2 10w7s will be louder.

In terms of sound, the W7 is the best sounding sub I have ever heard. Period. (sealed, lot of power) The 13TWs are no slouch at all. JL compares the TW to the W6v2 in terms of sound quality and the w1v2 in terms of output. That is pretty spot on if you ask me.

My own quasi-educated opinion, the TW5 behaves a little better higher (like up 80ish Hz). It is a little easier to get to blend with mids. When I had my W7 I could never get it right to my ear unless it was crossed really low...like 55-60ish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.