DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
should give them a good 1k watts to get them going.

I got 2 12's and 300-400 each isn't even enough. They handle 600 easy (my subs and yours will want more) and seeing your doing sealed, you want more then that. 800-1k should be your place to look at

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
When i was running mine sealed i had about 900 on tap. As long as you dont push it past its limits youll be ok. Im running one now ported at a little under 2.5 on a alpine m-12 and have not had any problems at all.
As long as your not running a small amp and clipping the hell out your good.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the amps i have are 2 jbl bp1200.1 ,they put out around 1200 to 1300 watts at 2 ohms, so if i don't go crazy with it i might be ok ,thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I've heard a single 13w6v2 in a sealed box about the size you're using... He was running 800 watts to it and it sounded VERY nice.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
is there a voltage measurement i should shoot for to set the gain level with a test tone?
Yes, Give me second and i'll post you a link if someone doesnt show up with the answer.
BTY what amp you using?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I honestly think that the 1200-1300 watts rms would be perfect to run both subs. One of those amps is all you would need.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if i use 1 amp it will be at a 1 ohm load on the amp and i have 2 amps and space for both so i was maybe thinking it would sound better and have more damping factor using both amps but i don't want to burn the coils.The JL manual shows 750 watts rms.I don't crank the volume too bad.These amps are almost double that.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,006 Posts
I've given my 13w6v2 stealthbox as little as 300 watts RMS and as much as 1,000. To be honest, I liked it best with 850 watts RMS from a Clairon DPX1851, but I am quite happy with the 500 that it is getting from the JL Audio HD900/5.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
these are in the rear of a ext cab s-10 firing down and not a lot cabin gain on the low end in such a small cab unless i open the windows then they come alive so much that you have to turn the level down quite a bit.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,006 Posts
these are in the rear of a ext cab s-10 firing down and not a lot cabin gain on the low end in such a small cab unless i open the windows then they come alive so much that you have to turn the level down quite a bit.
Therein lies your issue. Predictive modeling in BassBox Pro puts your F3 response at 51.33 Hz assuming 1.7 cubic feet net for the sub. If I remember correctly, the peak transfer function in the S-10 Extended cab was in the 70 Hz range, but I could be wrong on that. Also if you are getting more bass with the windows down, you are more than likely encountering cancellation from the standing waves inside of the truck.

If you want deeper bass, my recommendation would be to go with a ported sub that likes to be tuned low. You could try the 13w6v2 in 1.5 cubic feet net tuned to 30 Hz, but be super careful with the power. I have a feeling the 13w6v2 won't last long if it unloads repeatedly from too much power.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Your issue isn't power, your issue is your box/install.

Power wise: Try to run your subs higher then 2 ohms and preferably 4 ohms, the sound quality that you get from it will blow you away.

Next about the 2 amps: You can power both with one amp but that would really be pushing them as you damage a speaker from over powering then under powering. Watch your gains and set it up correctly.

Best thing to do: fix your install before you worry about your power

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Therein lies your issue. Predictive modeling in BassBox Pro puts your F3 response at 51.33 Hz assuming 1.7 cubic feet net for the sub. If I remember correctly, the peak transfer function in the S-10 Extended cab was in the 70 Hz range, but I could be wrong on that. Also if you are getting more bass with the windows down, you are more than likely encountering cancellation from the standing waves inside of the truck.

If you want deeper bass, my recommendation would be to go with a ported sub that likes to be tuned low. You could try the 13w6v2 in 1.5 cubic feet net tuned to 30 Hz, but be super careful with the power. I have a feeling the 13w6v2 won't last long if it unloads repeatedly from too much power.
x2

In the cab of a truck, I would use just one sub ported, but maybe tune even lower than 30. I really have a thing for tuning down to like 25 hz for SQ and bass extention.

That said, downfiring dual subs sealed in a truck would sound good too, but it will sound different, and it will tax your charging system much more (with 2 big amps).

Edit: You don't have to crank the amps wide open if you use both. Just set the gains to make the appropriate amount of power, and you're golden.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
this is looking like a winter project,too hot here to do alot in the garage,thanks for all the help!!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Question, I've noticed most of ya recommend more power than what the subwoofer is "rated" at. So, does box rise have anything to do with the extra power that is being thrown at?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Very much so. IB proving the least amount of power, ported then sealed. The subs can handle an easy 800 RMS. So, 800-900 is ideal for the woofer. Now if we do IB it will require less, ported will require more then the 900 and sealed will require more then 1k (give or take there is no real science to know the exact amount needed).

Why is it like this? IB has no opposition to cone movement and therefore it doesn't fight itself. Ported fights itself a bit and sealed REALLY fights it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts