DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
9,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to start a thread to compile all things Joying related.

I just put in a new Joying Android 10.0 head unit for just shy of $400. I purchased the VW specific unit with physical buttons. This unit fits the dash without any dash kits, and is basically plug and play.

I’ll give you some of my observations, some of the things I like, and some of the things that I dislike. I’ll talk about some of the quirks, and we can use this thread to discuss fixes, or alternate options to give people a head start.

The literature provided from Joying is very poor, so it’s easy to screw things up with experimenting with what some of the settings do.

The screen is very nice, it is bright, and very responsive.

The bezel and buttons look and feel very OEM. It fits the dash perfectly, fit and finish is good, the color may be one shade off, then again that could be because the head unit is new, and my dash has 8 years of sun exposure, and cleaning. More premium feeling volume and tuner knobs would be great, but as is they are just as good as what you would get from anything else. I just like the heavier metal knob on my old Sony.

Install was very easy. The unit I bought came with the appropriate harness, and canbus already wired. I simply had to connect the audio output (digital coax in my case), microphone, video in for backup camera, and gps antenna. I am not using the sim card feature, so I removed the extra cable from the board, and did not install the 4g antennas.

There have been a few quirks/problems, some of which have known solutions, others might require more advanced fixed.

My OEM compass that reads the direction in my gauge cluster is confused. It will constantly switch between 2 different directions, even when parked. It may toggle between North, and South East, then off, then repeat that cycle. I believe this can be fixed by disconnecting the OEM compass. When I had an idatalink maestro installed I needed to remove the OEM compass if I had a GPS antenna connected, I believe this is the same situation, but I have not disconnected the compass yet, so the fix it up in the air.

In the widgets, top of the home screen, and vehicle settings there is no way to change the units. It is stuck on liters, kilometers, celcius, etc. A new launcher, or some other fix may be available, but it’s not a built in option to fix this. I don’t actually use the weather widget, or vehicle settings, so it’s a very small annoyance, but it still shows temp in celcius at the top of the screen.

The built in FM radio app has a bug. When connected to Carplay, and also listening to the radio, texts doesn’t produce audio. You can see the Siri “wheel” spin, so it’s working, and the mic is picking up responses, but it produces no audio. To fix this you have to start a different audio playback source before listening to/responding to texts. You can switch to USB audio, Bluetooth, or anything in Carplay, then the audio works perfectly, but this does not work when listening to the radio. This is a frustrating problem, and there may be a different radio app available that would fix this, but I don’t know yet. If there is, it’s possible that I won’t be able to set it as the default for the “band” button on my head unit, so this is something I’m looking into. It’s annoying to see a text notification pop up, be required to start a song on a different source, then listen to/respond to the text, then switch back to the radio. Since I don’t listen to the radio too often, it’s not a big deal, but for to and from work, listening for traffic, or talk radio it would be nice for this bug to be addressed.

One other small thing is the app that’s tied to the “Media” button. The included music app that plays music from USB is just ok, it will play FLAC, but doesn’t sort out the tags well, and there is no album art. The widget has a permanent The Police album art, even before connecting a USB drive it was there by default, I can’t figure out how to get the widget to show the actual album art, which the main app will show when using MP3s. As a solution, I downloaded Poweramp, it’s working well so far, but I want it to be the default app when I hit the “Media” button, instead of the build in music app. Sometimes when I hit the media app it goes to Poweramp, other times it goes to the built in music app. This seems to also be related to the radio app. When switching from Carplay (Spotify) the media button will open up Poweramp, but when switching from the radio the media botton will launch the built in app. Hopefully there’s a way to resolve this permanently.

Some of the good things are the hardware.

So far the fit and finish, and screen quality are great.

Digital coax output is nice.

Option to add a sim card for data.

Boot time is incredibly fast if using the sleep feature.

Joying offers a bunch of different sized screens to fit your needs.

Hopefully some of these small quirks can be easily fixed. It may require a new launcher, different apps, or a future firmware update, but these quirks should really be easy fixes.

That’s all for now. I’ll keep this thread posted with helpful observations, complaints, and praises.

·
Registered
263 Posts
A few months back I purchased a joying 10.1 inch for my wife's car. I agree the hardware, speed and looks are top notch. However, I have had constant issues with it lately rebooting. I've worked with their support a few times and they keep sending me firmware updates to apply to fix the issue. The last one so far seems to be working better but this really put me off. I also do not like that they are stuck in android 10 and I don't see that changing due to android being pulled from the Chinese market. I was leaning towards getting the 11 inch screen for my new car, especially because they have optical out but I decided I do not want to risk it especially with the sound quality so I went with the recently released alpine 11 inch screen.

·
Registered
9,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A few months back I purchased a joying 10.1 inch for my wife's car. I agree the hardware, speed and looks are top notch. However, I have had constant issues with it lately rebooting. I've worked with their support a few times and they keep sending me firmware updates to apply to fix the issue. The last one so far seems to be working better but this really put me off. I also do not like that they are stuck in android 10 and I don't see that changing due to android being pulled from the Chinese market. I was leaning towards getting the 11 inch screen for my new car, especially because they have optical out but I decided I do not want to risk it especially with the sound quality so I went with the recently released alpine 11 inch screen.
Good info, I'll certainly comment if I start experiencing issues down the road, I'm only about a week in, and the only issues so far are what I've mentioned.

·
Super Moderator
2,148 Posts
I had the 10.5 in my Z71 and really enjoyed it, but while giving my buddy a demo, the display went out. I could still control the unit, and it still played sound, but you couldn't tell what was playing or where you were touching the screen buttons. I contacted Joying and they asked me if the lights were flashing on the main board. I pulled off the display and could confirm they were. They then had me remove the unit and power it up on the bench. I did that and still had no display. They then wanted a video of me doing some troubleshooting, but I set it aside and never went back to it. I'm now running optical from the factory HU thru a PAC RP5-GM51, and haven't looked back.

A few things I miss:
  • being able to pause music using the steering wheel controls instead of just muting
  • coaxial digital out was really good quality
  • streaming music directly thru the HU via my OnStar wifi hotspot
  • customizable dashboard

·
Registered
2019 Subaru WRX Base 6-speed
844 Posts
Reach out to their support via email, send them a picture of the info of the unit and they can send you an updated firmware/software package. Even though they are on the other side of the world their support has been excellent in my interactions. That may resolve done of your issues of an update is available. I know in my car the update fixed by random boot and freezing issue. It also added wireless Android auto to mine where before i only had worked carplay.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reach out to their support via email, send them a picture of the info of the unit and they can send you an updated firmware/software package. Even though they are on the other side of the world their support has been excellent in my interactions. That may resolve done of your issues of an update is available. I know in my car the update fixed by random boot and freezing issue. It also added wireless Android auto to mine where before i only had worked carplay.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
They have been very responsive to my questions as well, and they provided me with a firmware update. It didn't change any of the issues I mentioned, but it does seem that they are constantly working to improve their software.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Those of you running this via RCA, any issues with the noise floor, rca voltage, or early clipping?

These are common issues with other Chinese android units, but I recognize joying is a step above so I’m curious.

I have heard from a few other sources that the quality when using the digital out is great, but my current dsp doesn’t support that (and not planning to upgrade that, yet).

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
My OEM compass that reads the direction in my gauge cluster is confused. It will constantly switch between 2 different directions, even when parked. It may toggle between North, and South East, then off, then repeat that cycle. I believe this can be fixed by disconnecting the OEM compass. When I had an idatalink maestro installed I needed to remove the OEM compass if I had a GPS antenna connected, I believe this is the same situation, but I have not disconnected the compass yet, so the fix it up in the air.
you tell the MFI to get the compass signal from the radio instead of the dedicated compass/antenna. on my 2012 vw, i was able to do this w/ vagcom, then i unplugged mine from the back of the car, by the sharkfin.

you can google for 'rns-315 upgrade' and find some steps to recode it.

·
Registered
9,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you tell the MFI to get the compass signal from the radio instead of the dedicated compass/antenna. on my 2012 vw, i was able to do this w/ vagcom, then i unplugged mine from the back of the car, by the sharkfin.

you can google for 'rns-315 upgrade' and find some steps to recode it.
I know exactly how to disconnect the compass, hopefully that fixes the issue, we’ll see. I don’t have my own vagcom, so if necessary I’ll find someone locally. Last time I did that none of the he changes took.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes, my contacts were deleted with the Joying but it only happened when I connected my google account to play store. Luckily, I was able to recover all contacts by going to google contacts site and restoring the recently deleted contacts.

·
Registered
2014 VW CC Sport
1,437 Posts
I know exactly how to disconnect the compass, hopefully that fixes the issue, we’ll see. I don’t have my own vagcom, so if necessary I’ll find someone locally. Last time I did that none of the he changes took.
Get a obdeleven and recode it. I use one almost as good as vagcom once ya learn how it works

·
Registered
9,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Get a obdeleven and recode it. I use one almost as good as vagcom once ya learn how it works
Yeah, I think I should buy one. The buddy who helped me last time, when the changes didn't take, moved out of town. There are a handful of things I want to update.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I had the contacts get deleted also and yes i recovered them no problem. If you connect your Google account just don't sync contacts and you'll be fine otherwise.

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
My big concern about Joying (and similar) HU with digital output, I'm afraid that it's not a REAL digital output. What I mean, I believe there is an ADC for it, and it just take the analogic signal form somewhere.
I think this may be the case as well. I asked about this on their Aliexpress store a few weeks ago (where I bought mine) and the seller asked one of the Joying engineers. He said the following:

"Hi dear friend, if you car didn't install extra amplifier. The sound source go through our amplifier chip TDA 7851 to process, then Output to speaker, this is diginal sound.
if you install extra amplifier by RCA(FL OUT FR OUT) amplifier . then this sound is Analog sound ."

So, while he says its digital, he clearly states the TDA 7851 chip (onboard amplifier) handles the signal, pointing to the ADC being used.

I can confirm by using the EQ fader that if you fade all the sound to the front, its digital only. When I fade to the rear, I only hear the analog outs (still have my factory rear speakers hooked up and they're getting power from the internal Joying amp, nothing factory powered in front). This also points to the sound being processed over from the same DAC then passed on to a ADC to get the optical out...not true, untouched digital.

Another thing I've noticed to reinforce this is the "Power Conditioning" setting in the sound settings menu. This appears to adjust the output of the internal amp (I assume) but it also changes the optical output volume. Again, seems that they are in fact the same signal. Mine was set to 60/60 by default but I've heard of some running it lower at 50/60 to avoid clipping (assuming the internal signal is analog and clipped prior to the ADC). I've yet to test this.

Finally, unrelated observation, I've also noticed a limited bass response when playing pink noise over Android Auto on the unit via optical vs my external BT device via optical (both go into my DSP using an optical splitter). Its been consistent the few times I've measured it. Its not a big deal but the Joying seems to cut off frequencies around 20hz no matter what...this matches up to their EQ sub response setting with a lower limit of 20hz (can't be bypassed?).

I'm still enJoying (dad joke) my unit and it has checked all my boxes: AA/CarPlay, working hands free calls, Remote music app functionality, Optical ("real" or not), OEM factory look and cheap price.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Does uapp work with these? I've always withered but hadn't tried. Ask Kai wonder if the helix wifi control app would work on these to control the helix. Just thoughts right now as I'm currently using a Kenwood DMX905s

·
Registered
215 Posts
Does uapp work with these? I've always withered but hadn't tried. Ask Kai wonder if the helix wifi control app would work on these to control the helix. Just thoughts right now as I'm currently using a Kenwood DMX905s

Yes. Works perfectly with my Douk U2 and D10. Wifi control apps should work as well, thats how I have some of my media players setup. However, the BT is locked down unfortunately.

Reactions: THX0849

·
Registered
201 Posts
That answer makes me think the seller didn't understand the question.
The TDA 7851 does not appear to have any processing capabilities.

I think this may be the case as well. I asked about this on their Aliexpress store a few weeks ago (where I bought mine) and the seller asked one of the Joying engineers. He said the following:

"Hi dear friend, if you car didn't install extra amplifier. The sound source go through our amplifier chip TDA 7851 to process, then Output to speaker, this is diginal sound.
if you install extra amplifier by RCA(FL OUT FR OUT) amplifier . then this sound is Analog sound ."

So, while he says its digital, he clearly states the TDA 7851 chip (onboard amplifier) handles the signal, pointing to the ADC being used.

I can confirm by using the EQ fader that if you fade all the sound to the front, its digital only. When I fade to the rear, I only hear the analog outs (still have my factory rear speakers hooked up and they're getting power from the internal Joying amp, nothing factory powered in front). This also points to the sound being processed over from the same DAC then passed on to a ADC to get the optical out...not true, untouched digital.

Another thing I've noticed to reinforce this is the "Power Conditioning" setting in the sound settings menu. This appears to adjust the output of the internal amp (I assume) but it also changes the optical output volume. Again, seems that they are in fact the same signal. Mine was set to 60/60 by default but I've heard of some running it lower at 50/60 to avoid clipping (assuming the internal signal is analog and clipped prior to the ADC). I've yet to test this.

Finally, unrelated observation, I've also noticed a limited bass response when playing pink noise over Android Auto on the unit via optical vs my external BT device via optical (both go into my DSP using an optical splitter). Its been consistent the few times I've measured it. Its not a big deal but the Joying seems to cut off frequencies around 20hz no matter what...this matches up to their EQ sub response setting with a lower limit of 20hz (can't be bypassed?).

I'm still enJoying (dad joke) my unit and it has checked all my boxes: AA/CarPlay, working hands free calls, Remote music app functionality, Optical ("real" or not), OEM factory look and cheap price.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts