DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
you tell the MFI to get the compass signal from the radio instead of the dedicated compass/antenna. on my 2012 vw, i was able to do this w/ vagcom, then i unplugged mine from the back of the car, by the sharkfin.

you can google for 'rns-315 upgrade' and find some steps to recode it.
I am doing the same thing with my 2013 GTI. Do you remember where you found the coding to switch the antenna to the radio? I've been looking around in VCDS and can't seem to find the correct module to code it.

·
Registered
9,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
I am doing the same thing with my 2013 GTI. Do you remember where you found the coding to switch the antenna to the radio? I've been looking around in VCDS and can't seem to find the correct module to code it.
Are you on the golfmk6 forum? I would think you can find it posted there, there's a pretty comprehensive list of vagcom tweeks.

·
Registered
9,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Can you run multiple apps at the same time, as an example Google Maps and Spotify at the same time?

I read some threads that it does not.
Using Apply Carplay, absolutely. I'm not sure if you can if you download the apps directly to the head unit, but with Carplay and Android Auto that won't be a concern for most people.

·
Registered
2011 Prius rsx gs9>apl1 >helix dsp ultra>2 brax mx4’s &jl Audio 600/1> full focal Utopia m
923 Posts
Do you have to turn on the remote out from the joying radio? I’m not getting output on the Orange/black remote out wire nor the power antenna output.

·
Listener of Music
4,570 Posts
Just checking. Often the obvious eludes us.

Unless there's a setting I don't remember this might be a Joying problem. If you email them take pictures with your multi meter showing power to the unit and nothing to your output wires. That kind of info expedites there initiation of a return.

Reactions: Mullings

·
Registered
105 Posts
Re: amp remote wire.
Yes, there's a setting to turn that on/off; poke around in the settings app to find it.

Re: downloading apps.
It's an Android device, so if there's an Android version of the app you want to use, you can download it directly to the Joying. Get an internet connection to the Joying (either with a 4G data SIM card or with a hotspot - or if your parking spot is close enough to your home WiFi, just use that); fire up the Google Play Store app, and see what you can find.

You'll need a Google account; and you'll need to set that up in the settings app on the Joying before jumping into the Play Store.

I don't know if it's still an issue, but for a while there was a problem with Google mis-syncing contacts where it would delete them out of your Google account if contacts sync was turned on on the Joying; but there is a setting where you can disable that. I don't have any contacts in my Google account, so I don't know what the latest on that is... but I did disable the sync function anyway.

I should probably give it another shot... and come to think of it, it's probably a good idea to export all one's contact data to a file and stick it on a thumb drive somewhere anyway - just in case something bad happens to your Google account.

·
Registered
86 Posts
How is it? Very few folks are buying the Snapdragon version vs the UIS7862 at least per the XDA threads I can find on it
I'm not a very technical type person, but what do you want to know? I'm running it via optical to DSP, and it sounds good. The overall functionality maybe isn't as good as higher end kenwood or similar.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I'm not a very technical type person, but what do you want to know? I'm running it via optical to DSP, and it sounds good. The overall functionality maybe isn't as good as higher end kenwood or similar.
I did tests on the UIS7862. The output is clean. The qualcomm uses a different DSP chip, and they don't share their full data sheet, so haven't read it.

I mean, curious your experience in all senses just because there just is much less info on those versions online.

·
Registered
86 Posts
fair enough, but have only recently installed it and haven't played with it too much. Everything is very quick, setup was easy. If I want to use carplay/Android auto, I can't listen to my FLAC files via USB, as these aren't native carplay/AA, it's done via an app.

TBH, I'm running it straight into my Helix DSP, so haven't touched any settings on the head unit - it's just a media player for me really. The interface (that everyone seems to complain about) works well for me.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
fair enough, but have only recently installed it and haven't played with it too much. Everything is very quick, setup was easy. If I want to use carplay/Android auto, I can't listen to my FLAC files via USB, as these aren't native carplay/AA, it's done via an app.

TBH, I'm running it straight into my Helix DSP, so haven't touched any settings on the head unit - it's just a media player for me really. The interface (that everyone seems to complain about) works well for me.
I use mine the exact same way, disable all extra stuff in the head unit, as FYI, all EQ settings in the HU can have an impact on the digital out. Of course, I don't have the datasheet for the DSP in yours, so I don't know the extent of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone using thumb drives or an SSD with one of these? I'd like to put my FLAC files on one. I would more than likely want to use Poweramp for playback. Curious how responsive it is accessing a large library. Does all the tagging work properly, etc...? If I use Poweramp with an external drive would I have to deal with extra button presses for accessing the tracks on that drive vs. internal storage?

If it handles my concerns well, This might be the right choice for me.

It still blows my mind how there are so few options out there with digital output in 2022. I've honestly been considering a DAP, but the only ones that tic all the boxes for me cost considerably more than these Joying head units. With all the DAP's I've looked at, you have to get their more expensive models with better DAC's (that I won't be using} in order to get digital out. Kind of irritating.

Thanks.

Chad

·
Registered
215 Posts
Anyone using thumb drives or an SSD with one of these? I'd like to put my FLAC files on one. I would more than likely want to use Poweramp for playback. Curious how responsive it is accessing a large library. Does all the tagging work properly, etc...? If I use Poweramp with an external drive would I have to deal with extra button presses for accessing the tracks on that drive vs. internal storage?

If it handles my concerns well, This might be the right choice for me.

It still blows my mind how there are so few options out there with digital output in 2022. I've honestly been considering a DAP, but the only ones that tic all the boxes for me cost considerably more than these Joying head units. With all the DAP's I've looked at, you have to get their more expensive models with better DAC's (that I won't be using} in order to get digital out. Kind of irritating.

Thanks.

Chad
Used both and they work perfectly with UAPP and Poweramp. Library playback is seamless just as you would expect from a modern Android device. I even tried one of my loaded 4tb (completely full) and it read it all BUT the next time Poweramp started it was bogged down and freezing. No surprise as 4tb is massive but I was just curious how it would behave. My unit is the 6gb version as well.

Overall, it would be perfect with any normal sized storage. I'd say 1tb would be the most but maybe even 2tb depending on how many songs you have.

Reactions: Bodido

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks CrimsonCountry! That's honestly better news than I expected. Their website says they support up to 500gb external HDD, which kind of bummed me out a little. 1tb might be a little easier to deal with. What kind of drives have you used? Just normal external usb powered SSD's? I have a Samsung T7 1tb SSD, it it would be a big bonus to not have to purchase a new drive for this.

101 - 120 of 126 Posts