DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

It's been sometime since I've done an install but recently picked up a 2019 Ford Flex and the stock stuff has to go! I'll be tying in my JL Audio FiX-82, TwK-88, Soundstream TN4.900D and TN1.1200D but potentially looking to change up my mids and tweets for the 2 way active portion of the build. I have ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6020-00, Audible Physics H6MB & AR3A's with AMT's at my disposal but thought about at least getting some different mids. The tweets are great but thought about switching them to the AR3A's but would like to hear opinions. I'm open to any discussion around what I have or getting new. Thanks guys, feels good to dust everything off and dive in again.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What’s opinions on the Audiofrog GS60’s? Why do people like them so much? Accurate reproduction or level of intensity? Do they do well in a larger style door cavity? I do plan significant treatment to the front doors.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Why not use what you already have? How would you know what you are “lacking?” I don’t see anything “wrong” with what you already have.

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
If you haven't had that level of tuning capability before, put the best back in of what you have now, then see what it can accomplish before swapping. You might find that you don't need to swap anything

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Why not use what you already have? How would you know what you are “lacking?” I don’t see anything “wrong” with what you already have.
I would know because I’ve been running this setup for 5 years... the mids are ok but lack low end in my opinion and just aren’t loud enough to keep up with the tweets. Really my goal here is to gain some volume by changing mids and tweets with the amplification I have now.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you haven't had that level of tuning capability before, put the best back in of what you have now, then see what it can accomplish before swapping. You might find that you don't need to swap anything

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!
I’ve been messing with the TuN software and Twk since it came out, I’m very well versed in that and this hobby in general lol. Im not going through the work to install these mids in my doors just to rip them out, hence why I’m starting a discussion.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I’ve been messing with the TuN software and Twk since it came out, I’m very well versed in that and this hobby in general lol. Im not going through the work to install these mids in my doors just to rip them out, hence why I’m starting a discussion.
Welcome back.

So you're looking for a new 6.5" midwoofer to cover midrange and midbass frequencies in a 2-way front setup using the OEM locations, correct?

If you were to switch, what is your budget for these?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome back.

So you're looking for a new 6.5" midwoofer to cover midrange and midbass frequencies in a 2-way front setup using the OEM locations, correct?

If you were to switch, what is your budget for these?
Essentially yes, the factory speakers are 6x8's so I should be able to put almost any 6-1/2" to 7" mid in the factory location. I'll probably put the tweets on the same baffle as well hopefully on axis with the driver seat. I still need to take a door panel off and investigate but from the research I've done something like a Dayton RS180 shouldn't be an issue. Budget is $4-500. I found a set of NIB GS60's locally which was surprising so that's an option. I've been browsing PE and CSS Audio. I'm open to DIY raws or a branded set. A good friend of mine suggested the Hertz Mille Legends but I have no experience nor done any reading on them. What surprising is the amount of midbass the factory speakers have so I'm hoping the large(r) door cavity helps with something ran active.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate if the Audiofrog GS60s are a good deal.

Otherwise, I would want to know what subwoofer and type of alignment you'll be going with before suggesting other 6.5" midwoofers.

If you'll be using a good, low inductance subwoofer that can play cleanly a bit higher than normal, I would suggest 6.5" midwoofer options that are known to have really great midrange, and good but maybe not crazy high midBASS output, since the subwoofer can do a lot of that work.

I don't have any experience with those particular AP 6.5" drivers, but they may work excellently depending on the subwoofer as per above. I would at least give them a try since you have them. Just make the baffle with consideration for mounting other 6.5"-7" mids.

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed the BA Subwoofer and PR you are using in your signature. 😊 I haven't used that combination, so not familiar with its response. Will try to find specs and model it if you know the enclosure volume?

From what I could find, both the GS60 and AP H6MB have 4mm one-way xmax, so I wouldn't expect either to be a midbass monster, but again, this might not be needed, unless you tend to always listen at extremely loud levels.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would know because I’ve been running this setup for 5 years... the mids are ok but lack low end in my opinion and just aren’t loud enough to keep up with the tweets. Really my goal here is to gain some volume by changing mids and tweets with the amplification I have now.
“I'm open to any discussion around what I have or getting new.” Apparently not!!!
Amazing that you are able to tell how your current equipment is going to sound in a different vehicle then your previous one without even installing it! I hope to acquire that skill one day.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
TheAudiofrog GS60 would be a very capable car audio specific driver that should work very well in a two way active setup. Those should work well with the ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6020-00 you have. AudioFrog makes some of the better/best car audio specific raw drivers that are out there. They could alsways be paired with the GS25 later on for a very nice three way setup.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn't hesitate if the Audiofrog GS60s are a good deal.

Otherwise, I would want to know what subwoofer and type of alignment you'll be going with before suggesting other 6.5" midwoofers.

If you'll be using a good, low inductance subwoofer that can play cleanly a bit higher than normal, I would suggest 6.5" midwoofer options that are known to have really great midrange, and good but maybe not crazy high midBASS output, since the subwoofer can do a lot of that work.

I don't have any experience with those particular AP 6.5" drivers, but they may work excellently depending on the subwoofer as per above. I would at least give them a try since you have them. Just make the baffle with consideration for mounting other 6.5"-7" mids.

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed the BA Subwoofer and PR you are using in your signature. 😊 I haven't used that combination, so not familiar with its response. Will try to find specs and model it if you know the enclosure volume?

From what I could find, both the GS60 and AP H6MB have 4mm one-way xmax, so I wouldn't expect either to be a midbass monster, but again, this might not be needed, unless you tend to always listen at extremely loud levels.
The box they’re in now is 1.417 cubes before driver displacement of the powered sub and PR.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts