DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok. So I have a 2000 nissan maxima with the Bose stereo which I really want to replace and am starting to really dislike. For my head unit I plan on getting the alpine cda9887. I also have 2 12" mtx subs from my 240sx. I believe that the speakers are 400rms a piece dual 4ohm voice coils which I thinkare wired down to 1 ohm. (gotta dig up the manual to confirm)

Where I am confused is at the component part. Components are like bi/tri speakers but seperated correct? Can I run them off the H.U. until I save up the money for a 2nd amp? Do I need a crossover?

Do back speakers matter?(guess I really need to hear for myself)

Edit
Also, what's the diff between midrange and midbass?

·
Registered
951 Posts
A quick google search... www.caraudiohelp.com/component_speakers/component_speakers.htm

Yes, you will need a x-over of some type. Do some reading on passive vs active crossovers to decide what you would prefer. If you go with the 9887 you mentioned, you would be able to use it's built in active crossover, but you need to read on setting crossover points and if this is something you feel comfortable doing.

It depends on who you talk to wrt rear speakers, I (and most here) would say ditch them, but it really depends on your preferences (after all you are building it for you)

Midbass vs midrange, really depends on frequency range a speaker is covering. For simplicity sake, a midbass will cover lower frequencies, say 80-300hz (and be a larger speaker, usually 6.5-8 inches), while a midrange will cover higher midrange frequencies, say 300-3000hz (and be smaller,usually 3-4 inches). These are all very general statements however and not always the case. In a two way front stage, one speaker will usually cover midrange and midbass frquencies, many opt for a 6.5 or so inch driver to cover 80hz - 2.5khz or so, and then cross the tweeters lower.

I hope this gets you started. Do lots of reading, and the search function is your friend.

PS if you are going to wire your subs to 1ohm, make sure your amp can take it. I would probably recommend wiring them to 4 ohms but do some searching there too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts