DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
333 Posts
By clip you mean cut the wires so you can wire them to the DSP? Why not. Just make sure you go over it before getting out the wire cutters to make sure it’ll work, I.e. that you can connect wires to them without them rattling or causing other issues. But probably shouldn’t do it unless you’re 100% sure you can reconnect them if it doesn’t work or have a backup plan incase they get ruined

edit: it might not be worth it, only thing you’ll gain is having more EQ bands, but you have 30 bands per channel so probably not worth it. You won’tgain anything from being able to time align them separately as they are mounted to the center of the mids so they’ll use the same delay as they have now. And with power distribution as it is you’ve got woofers on 75w so mids and tweeters combined won’t need more than that. Woofers low passed at 350hz will use same power as a speaker or speakers playing 350 and above. Granted those figures are from a home audio table and didn’t say what the highpass frequency for the woofers is.

But if you’re looking for an experiment or just something to do there’s no reason not to… as long as you’re sure they won’t be garbage after you cut the wires

· Registered
Challenger 392
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yea, didn't think it'd be a good idea lol. I was curious though because I wouldn't need to fabricate mounts and it would allow me to control their levels better.

I'll stick with the original plan of just replacing them with good mids. Then add tweets if needed.

-Edit-
@GrM

Well I mean if they end up being garbage after it's okay. Just means I gotta buy replacements maybe before I experiment. I paid like 45 dollars for the set, so it's not really a big loss. Resale value is like 20 bucks lol.

· Registered
Challenger 392
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, good point gabbadj, I would need to check that to be safe. Wouldn't want to damage the amp if it comes up less than 2 ohms.

Okay, well that should about cover it. Gonna pass on this experiment due to it being kinda stupid lol. It was interesting to consider but ultimately would be a waste of time.

Thanks for your input everyone.

· Registered
Challenger 392
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They would probably work out to something like 8 ohm or 6 ohm. I think infinity states they are 3.5 ohm but 4 ohm with the wire or something. I tested them before hooking them to the amp, they came up 4 ohm. Higher wouldn't be much of an issue though.

· Premium Member
7,703 Posts
... I think infinity states they are 3.5 ohm but 4 ohm with the wire or something...
The answer is “or something.”

(IMHO) You probably would be better off selling them and getting component speaker, or using them as rear deck and using them as more of a full range.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.