DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Just a sneak peak ?

2K views 28 replies 6 participants last post by  Holmz 
#1 ·
......of my 5.0 cu ft net box. Coming together really well ! I've never had so much fun sanding in my life ? No seriously, it sure is nice to have decent tools ! I just bought a belt sander that kicks ass ! Plus a DeWalt palm sander that also works super well. So I'm filling all the screw holes, and any visible seams. Going to prime it and spray it with black bed liner tomorrow. I've always carpeted my boxes, but I figure since I've went through so much trouble to make all the screw holes and seems disappear, why not make it look like it was milled from one ginormous block of wood ?

Still need to seal the inside, and then install both of the 15" passive radiators, as well as the 18" Skar subwoofer.

This will definitely be the cleanest, most solid enclosure I've ever built. And I'd bet my truck, my car, and all my camera gear that it's within 1/10th of a cubic foot of 5 cubes. Honestly I think it's much closer but anyway. I can tune it to whatever I want to depending on how much weight I add to my PR's. Kind of torn between Skars suggestion of 31 hz.... And WinIsd Pro looking best at like 28.5 hz....

Anyway, more pics tomorrow...

See less See more
#2 ·
......of my 5.0 cu ft net box. Coming together really well ! I've never had so much fun sanding in my life [emoji846] No seriously, it sure is nice to have decent tools ! I just bought a belt sander that kicks ass ! Plus a DeWalt palm sander that also works super well. So I'm filling all the screw holes, and any visible seams. Going to prime it and spray it with black bed liner tomorrow. I've always carpeted my boxes, but I figure since I've went through so much trouble to make all the screw holes and seems disappear, why not make it look like it was milled from one ginormous block of wood [emoji846]

Still need to seal the inside, and then install both of the 15" passive radiators, as well as the 18" Skar subwoofer.

This will definitely be the cleanest, most solid enclosure I've ever built. And I'd bet my truck, my car, and all my camera gear that it's within 1/10th of a cubic foot of 5 cubes. Honestly I think it's much closer but anyway. I can tune it to whatever I want to depending on how much weight I add to my PR's. Kind of torn between Skars suggestion of 31 hz.... And WinIsd Pro looking best at like 28.5 hz....

Anyway, more pics tomorrow... View attachment 260933
Go with the WinISD recommendation. WinISD has never done me wrong.

#4 · (Edited)
Okay I'm just about done...
Just need to finish it in bed liner spray, and mount and wire the 18" sub, + mount the passive radiators.

Just the fact that the PR's look exactly like 15" Dayton's, is going to make this box look kinda crazy ?

I can't wait to tell somebody I'm running two 15"s and an 18" in the same box ? lol

Oh, so I tried really hard to make all of the seams and screw holes completely disappear. Now that's it's primered, u can still just barely see where the screws and seams were, from just the right angle....
Hmmm. I'm hoping the bedliner spray will be thick and texured enough to "completely eliminate those imperfections...
Either way, it should be the cleanest box I ever built.....

Oh btw, the box is sitting on it's backside in these pics. The 18" is going to fire straight up. The two PR's are firing forward, towards the back of my seat.

#6 ·
And why do you think that is ?
From all of my research, they produce very close to the same sound as a typical ported enclosure.... Which are my favorite by far. Sealed enclosures have never sounded loud enough to me.... And I have a hard time believing I have just not built one correctly ? What could be easier than a sealed box ?

#7 ·
When I said you may not have done it right, I was thinking sub you chose, amp you chose, and how it may have been tuned. Not necessarily the enclosure but of course some find a way to even mess up sealed enclosures. Your enclosure definitely seems well built. Hope it sounds great with all of the output you want. It’s an 18 so it sure as hell should or you need to just turn in your SQL card and go talk to the SPL guys. Lol!

#11 ·
The quick connect/disconnect versatility of Neutrik's are great, but the male end protrudes too much for my liking. I believe it's in the range of 50 - 60 mm or so, and I can envision that connector being snapped off with a spirited push of your enclosure - especially those who need to remove it from the vehicle from time to time.

Does Neutrik make 90 degree male ends?

#12 · (Edited)
The quick connect/disconnect versatility of Neutrik's are great, but the male end protrudes too much for my liking. I believe it's in the range of 50 - 60 mm or so, and I can envision that connector being snapped off with a spirited push of your enclosure - especially those who need to remove it from the vehicle from time to time.

Does Neutrik make 90 degree male ends?
Yeah the female chassis connector for the box sits out about 3-mm (1/8")
And they make connectors are available in 90 degree versions.

One disconnects it before removing the box.

Reactions: Mad Scientist
#17 ·
A subwoofer is a system of driver, enclosure, amplifier, install, and tune. What sort of drivers were you using? How large? How much excursion on the drivers? How much power were you giving them? Vehicle matters too as hatchbacks seem to have the better bass than cars with trunks and I’d assume trucks as well.

Not sure you need to answer those but Ive been able to get plenty of output out of a pair of 12s but I use high-excursion drivers and put some decent power on them. But my plenty may not be plenty to you. Note my home audio system consists of 18“ and 24” sealed subwoofers so I know what tons of deep bass is. :)

#21 ·
Forgot to add that if I don’t use Speakon’s, I use these to just bolt the wires on the inside and tightly clamp on the outside. A little medium threadlocker and no concerns about coming loose. I drill a 3” hole to recess them to a wood panel glued from the inside.

#24 ·
Update; I was SO freaking bummed.... Though ght I was going to finish it, and get in in the truck today. Went to open my big tall can of bedliner spray and the valves was messed up, like it had been dropped ? Tried to put the nozzle back on and just drenched my hand with bedliner spray.

Darn it... I wanted to use the thick @ss roll on stuff anyway. So I ordered enough to do the whole thing with two thick coats (1 qt)
Will do that Monday or Tuesday.

Anyway, besides the bedliner, it's basically finished ? Thought it was looking pretty cool, and kind of like WTF ? ?

#26 ·
? Lol Well let me put it this way.... I ain't putting that beast "anywhere by myself" ! I've been bugging my GF's son to help me drag it in and out of the house to work on it. But once I get that thing finished, and get it into my truck, hopefully it won't need to be moved again for a good long while !

I was joking that if I came out of the house and saw some thief running away with it, he can just have it, because I don't want to mess with a guy that could do that ?

#28 ·
Bedliner went on great ? You can still slightly see a few joints and screw divots.... But other than that, I'd give it a 9 out of 10.
Of course the most important thing is going to be how it sounds.
I might be able to put it in tonight....
But again, I'm pretty worn out from driving most of the night.... So nothing will probably sound great anyway.

I've experienced the same thing with my photography.... I just can't be happy with it when I'm exhausted.

Will put it on tomorrow. It will be completely dry, and I can go give it a good little beating ? Will be back then to report on it.

It's not completely dry in this shot. Not seeing any glossier patches now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.