DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a bunch of research through Google beforehand, but I didn't think to come here and ask the experts :drunk:! I have a small hatchback, a 1988 Toyota Corolla-FX, so I don't need a ton of power, but I want nice clear sound and healthy bass (for my price range). I'm not spending a ton of money compared to other guys but this system is costing me $700 + installation.

Head Unit: JVC Arsenal KDA735BT from Crutchfield, $129 on Crutchfield.

Amps: Alpine Class-D MRX-F30 and MRX-M50 from a local Alpine dealer, $125 each (Refurbished, still have warranty).

Speakers: Polk db401 (4'' 2-way $49) in the front, and db501 (5'' 2-way $59) in the back. The biggest size my little hatchback will take. I had already chosen these on Crutchfield then found them for 50% off from OnlineCarStereo.com.

Subwoofer: Polk db1212 (12'' $170), also chosen on Crutchfield but bought from OnlineCarStereo for $100 less.

I bought everything from authorized dealers to make sure I get the warranty. I got the JVC head unit because it seemed liked the best sounding HU in my price range, and had all the features I wanted. I bought Polk speakers because from my research they seem to have very good design and engineering. Same thing for the Alpine amps, and from my research Class-D seems to have advanced enough that I am confident buying these. They have a distortion-correction system which seems to address the major concern with Class-D amps. On Alpine's site they only have 2 amps listed that aren't Class-D so they're obviously staking their reputation on it, which reassures me as well.

So what do you think? Good system? Bad system? Is it going to sound the way I want it to?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have never used any of them brands, I think you will be happy. For speakers, check out partsexpress.com, their $50 a pair speakers will sound better then most $100 pair speakers at your car audio stores.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think the arsenal series has 4.8 volt pre outs, so make sure you amp gains are set properly. (likely at the lowest setting...)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts