DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. So yesterday I ran into about the best deal I've ever come across and landed this Mcintosh MC440. Now I'm pretty experienced with using and testing a lot of different types of amps but this thing is pretty special. I got it home, got it all cleaned up and want to put power to it on my test bench to see if she's alive but I convinced myself to hold off until I can talk to a few Mcintosh guys and see what they have to say. I test and mess with amps at home quite a bit using a standard 12v 18 amp computer power supply, sometimes two in parallel, and also have a small 12v lithium battery. Planning on just doing the standard process: Jump remote to B+, use an rca to aux into my phone as the source, check voltage on speaker outputs, and then put a couple small drivers on it. Is there anything that you guys recommend checking before I do so though? I've never had a Mcintosh and never really done any research into them before yesterday as they were simply out of my reach so I don't know the standard issues and things to look out for. Thanks guys, I appreciate any advice.
Electronic instrument Audio equipment Gadget Gas Office equipment
'

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
There is nothing different, all connections for power are the same, as long as you have decent power supply and battery you should be fine.i do t see anything going bad. Just make sure battery is fully charged.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: LimpCroissaint

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is nothing different, all connections for power are the same, as long as you have decent power supply and battery you should be fine.i do t see anything going bad. Just make sure battery is fully charged.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Ok awesome thanks. I was thinking mainly about people warning to check the caps for leakage and what not. Honestly I'd much rather just power her up and test it out and I was hoping there wouldnt be a bunch of guys saying something along the lines of 'always open them up and check the short fat caps inside for leakage before powering up' or something similar. Being that they were made from 94-97 it's a pretty old fella. I've got some old school rockford amps, a couple coustic and a PPI but if this one turns out to be on the low end of the date range, I think it's the oldest amp I've ever messed with.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Let us know what you think of the sound once you get it hooked up. Lot of mythology around these, would like to hear your opinion.

Reactions: LimpCroissaint

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Hey guys. So yesterday I ran into about the best deal I've ever come across and landed this Mcintosh MC440. Now I'm pretty experienced with using and testing a lot of different types of amps but this thing is pretty special. I got it home, got it all cleaned up and want to put power to it on my test bench to see if she's alive but I convinced myself to hold off until I can talk to a few Mcintosh guys and see what they have to say. I test and mess with amps at home quite a bit using a standard 12v 18 amp computer power supply, sometimes two in parallel, and also have a small 12v lithium battery. Planning on just doing the standard process: Jump remote to B+, use an rca to aux into my phone as the source, check voltage on speaker outputs, and then put a couple small drivers on it. Is there anything that you guys recommend checking before I do so though? I've never had a Mcintosh and never really done any research into them before yesterday as they were simply out of my reach so I don't know the standard issues and things to look out for. Thanks guys, I appreciate any advice.
View attachment 313644 '
Nice pick up!! Curious what you paid for it, if you don’t mind sharing? Adjustments are under the glass panel if you haven’t figured that out by now. Hopefully it comes to life 100%.

Laptop accessory Gadget Office equipment Audio equipment Computer hardware

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let us know what you think of the sound once you get it hooked up. Lot of mythology around these, would like to hear your opinion.
Ok, I'll make it a point to come back and give my impressions on it. I'm very curious too and my curiosity probably never would have been satisfied because I'm unwilling to spend the money on a new McIntosh amp, atleast at this point in my life. Itll be interesting for sure.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice pick up!! Curious what you paid for it, if you don’t mind sharing? Adjustments are under the glass panel if you haven’t figured that out by now. Hopefully it comes to life 100%.

View attachment 313655
I havent taken the glass off yet but I did read about that. That optional parametric eq that was available looks extremely intriguing as well.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I know some of you guys want to know how I came into this thing for a reasonable price. I dont really want to say the exact amount but let's say this. I bought it from a dude that had a single bad quality picture in his ad and it was jumbled in with two hideous boss amps 🤣, and 2 old school infinity reference subs. He said it was all in his boat 'And that Mutha pounded' haha. He just wanted to get rid of it all in a hurry. Both boss amps worked so I'll give those to a couple guys who dont have systems. The old infinity reference subs measure perfect but the surrounds are slightly coming up from the poly cones so I'll fix those. I really like old efficient subs. And now hopefully the MC440 works. I'll put the power supply to it today after work unless any McIntosh experts tell me to check something first.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
So I know some of you guys want to know how I came into this thing for a reasonable price. I dont really want to say the exact amount but let's say this. I bought it from a dude that had a single bad quality picture in his ad and it was jumbled in with two hideous boss amps 🤣, and 2 old school infinity reference subs. He said it was all in his boat 'And that Mutha pounded' haha. He just wanted to get rid of it all in a hurry. Both boss amps worked so I'll give those to a couple guys who dont have systems. The old infinity reference subs measure perfect but the surrounds are slightly coming up from the poly cones so I'll fix those. I really like old efficient subs. And now hopefully the MC440 works. I'll put the power supply to it today after work unless any McIntosh experts tell me to check something first.
Mac and boss amps, that’s some odd equipment to pair up together🤪. Either way hope it works out for you. Did he have the end caps and whats going on with the jumpers on the left side?

·
Registered
396 Posts
so since you're asking,.... I would try to open it up and at a minimum do a visual inspection and look for blown-up parts, etc.
if it is doable to look at the PCB inside and see what it looks like. visual inspection is the minimum you can do. look for loose connectors/broken solder joints.

aside from that, again since you are pre-thinking and asking..... it would be ideal to have an expectation of how much current draw this thing would take.... is this a class A amp? or class AB? those things draw "decent" current, ideally you should have a power supply with enough current output to supply what the amp needs at full blast ..... 18A is enough to turn it on, but if you are turning it up, 18A is probably not enough....? so take your time and set some expectations up front before powering on, what does it need?

it looks great. i remember those things, soooo expensive (for me anyways). 🤤🤤🤤

·
Registered
396 Posts
you can also look for loose parts and anything that could short things out on the PCB, if you open it up.

you can clean the PCB with alcohol (IPA) and a small brush (tooth brush), depending how it looks.

also take before pics & share :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mac and boss amps, that’s some odd equipment to pair up together🤪. Either way hope it works out for you. Did he have the end caps and whats going on with the jumpers on the left side?
I know huh... Haha. No unfortunately it did not come with the end caps. I messaged him once I noticed that and he hasn't messaged me back. Hes the super busy businessman type. The wires sticking out are just attached to the speaker outputs like normal and then with space connectors quick detach style. I have a feeling it had the mcintosh gear in when he bought the boat and then he added the boss gear. I wonder what speakers are still left in the boat😯

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I know huh... Haha. No unfortunately it did not come with the end caps. I messaged him once I noticed that and he hasn't messaged me back. Hes the super busy businessman type. The wires sticking out are just attached to the speaker outputs like normal and then with space connectors quick detach style. I have a feeling it had the mcintosh gear in when he bought the boat and then he added the boss gear. I wonder what speakers are still left in the boat😯
That would make sense, my guess is more infinty’s.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so since you're asking,.... I would try to open it up and at a minimum do a visual inspection and look for blown-up parts, etc.
if it is doable to look at the PCB inside and see what it looks like. visual inspection is the minimum you can do. look for loose connectors/broken solder joints.

aside from that, again since you are pre-thinking and asking..... it would be ideal to have an expectation of how much current draw this thing would take.... is this a class A amp? or class AB? those things draw "decent" current, ideally you should have a power supply with enough current output to supply what the amp needs at full blast ..... 18A is enough to turn it on, but if you are turning it up, 18A is probably not enough....? so take your time and set some expectations up front before powering on, what does it need?

it looks great. i remember those things, soooo expensive (for me anyways). 🤤🤤🤤
Good thinking on the power supply. It draws 58 amps at full output, all channels driven. I wasnt planning on loading it up a ton. Honestly probably just putting a few watts through each channel run to some Alpine type R coaxes I have laying around. Maybe I should open her up, your right. Itd be a hell of a bummer if I put power to it and something happened that could have been prevented by blowing a small strand of wire of the board. It's class a/b topography and 6 channels. 4 x 50w @ 4 ohms and 100w x 2 @ 4ohms which is an insane blessing because I've been lusting over 6 channel amps lately for a 3 way front set and the staggered power is super damn cool. And its 2 ohm stable as well! But they dont list power at 2 ohms. I've got a 2 ohm CDT 2 way set that I've been planning to setup so thatd be perfect.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you can also look for loose parts and anything that could short things out on the PCB, if you open it up.

you can clean the PCB with alcohol (IPA) and a small brush (tooth brush), depending how it looks.

also take before pics & share :)
Ok ya good call, I've been thinking lately how easy it is to short out a board by just a single wire strand falling through a vent while your stripping wire and connecting. I know people like to use the 99% isopropyl alcohol but do you think the next step down is ok? What is it like 92 or 96% I believe. I was doing some reading on it a while back for another amp and saw a couple that said that's fine but most saying use 99%. Ok, I'll take pics!

·
Registered
396 Posts
i would just use whatever in terms of IPA, I'm not that particular personally, i would use whatever i had at home :)
the fact that you would maybe do it & you are thinking about it is awesome already, imo.

same goes for the current draw, .... sounds like you'll be okay, if you're driving speakers, you probably will not draw too much current. if you have a battery in parallel too, probably be allllll good.

fun project! hope the amp sounds nice!

Ok ya good call, I've been thinking lately how easy it is to short out a board by just a single wire strand falling through a vent while your stripping wire and connecting. I know people like to use the 99% isopropyl alcohol but do you think the next step down is ok? What is it like 92 or 96% I believe. I was doing some reading on it a while back for another amp and saw a couple that said that's fine but most saying use 99%. Ok, I'll take pics!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts