DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after hearing all 3 at Tweeter Audio, I noticed a huge difference in the sound. the Audison was so much cleaner then the Pioneer. before hearing the Audison I didnt see much reason to buy some comps. I heard Jl XR-650, boston Z6, and Focal K2. they all sounded similar, and not that great off the pioneer. I mean I was almost ok with alpine coxials for $50 than $300 for the other comps. they all sounded very similar to factory stock speakers. then I heard the Audison, and then the comps sounded nice. every thing went clean and much more smooth. put the Jl amp and it was better then the Pioneer, but sounded a bit lifeless. too bad the Audison cost 10 times as much as the Pioneer. but what a difference. any body have an opinion on amps.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I believe there were other factors in the comparison test that tainted the way you perceived the amps. Were they all rated for the same wattage into the same load? If I had to guess, probably not. OR perhaps the gains on the Pioneer were turned down and the Audison's gains were turned up.

Since solid-state amp technology has gotten to the point of being pretty refined, I'm a pretty firm believer that the differences between amps are incredibly subtle, almost to the point of making no difference. Differences in power between a couple of amps makes much more of a difference, imo.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
first. ....yea I saw home receivers dont like 4-ohm loads. both of my receivers are now blown. I'll see if I can get them fixed.

second....yea the gains were not the same. but I adjusted the volumes to match each other (on the radio). and the audison sounded better. maybe thats what called transient response. or maybe one amp was out of phase. but it was quite a difference. the Audison sounded much closer to the home theater I heard next. but what do you mean power differences make a difference. maybe thats it. they were different power amp.

G

·
87DXHatch said:
I believe there were other factors in the comparison test that tainted the way you perceived the amps. Were they all rated for the same wattage into the same load? If I had to guess, probably not. OR perhaps the gains on the Pioneer were turned down and the Audison's gains were turned up.
Bingo. If the power & gains were not matched, it's not a valid amplifier comparison. And to avoid bias, the matching must be performed by instrumentation ... not by ear.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what are the benefits? I though as long as your not killing the amp with high gains, then everythings fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.