DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just hired Carlito to take care of the duplicate posts and slow forum. He is going to crank it out for us.

In the man time I would like you guys to make suggerstions.
Give us some ideas to make this place better.
I do not want to go crazy with the mods/hacks but I do want your input.

The one thing I am going to have him work after he fixes the current problems is the Classified section. We are going to give the forum members a way to close their classified threads and mark them SOLD.

Anything you guys want to see to make this place run smoother?

ANT

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
The one thing I am going to have him work after he fixes the current problems is the Classified section. We are going to give the forum members a way to close their classified threads and mark them SOLD.
Nice!

I may have not noticed this, but is there a minimum post count required by the system in order for new members to post FS threads? If not, make it like 5000. Just kidding, but 25 at least. And if possible, those posts cannot go to OT - must be in General, Build Logs, etc.

Also, I would be nice to have the ability to edit thread titles after they are submitted. If there's a time limit, then how about 24 hours?

And thanks Ant for getting on the ball with this. I'll be sending you a bulk pack of FoxMat D3LuX (best deader in the galaxy) for your efforts. ;)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Reputation is a great tool to add or "Thanks"

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice!

I may have not noticed this, but is there a minimum post count required by the system in order for new members to post FS threads? If not, make it like 5000. Just kidding, but 25 at least. And if possible, those posts cannot go to OT - must be in General, Build Logs, etc.
We already have it in place. The minimum post cont for posting a new thread int he classified section is 50.

Also, I would be nice to have the ability to edit thread titles after they are submitted. If there's a time limit, then how about 24 hours?
This is already in place too. 24 hours is the current limit and has been for quite some time.

And thanks Ant for getting on the ball with this. I'll be sending you a bulk pack of FoxMat D3LuX (best deader in the galaxy) for your efforts. ;)
Can't wait!

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't spam my inbox. I am just about to sort anything DIY to trash.
Spam is unrequested email.
If you don't want to get the DIYMA email newsletters, simply change your setting options in your profile.

·
Registered
46 Posts
How about the featured classifieds for contributing members not showing stuff thats already been sold. Dont know how that works though.

Ant

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any chance of extending the log in timeout period to maybe an hour? It seems like it is currently fifteen minutes. I couldn't tell you how many times I have read through a page of a thread then click next page only to be greeted with the log in screen. It gets annoying have the third or fourth time. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Any chance of extending the log in timeout period to maybe an hour? It seems like it is currently fifteen minutes. I couldn't tell you how many times I have read through a page of a thread then click next page only to be greeted with the log in screen. It gets annoying have the third or fourth time. Thanks.
That's on your end, sir. Check how your web browser deals with cookies. FireFox only signs me out if I clear them, other wise I stay logged in forever.

Ant, I understand why you limit the time allowed to edit a post, but can you make an exception for the Classified section? I hate digging through 3 pages in a FS add just to check whether or not the item has been sold, because the OP cannot edit the first post, or if the price changed, etc.

Or possibly allow the user to only ADD to the first post, without deleting it, something along those lines.

·
Registered
455 Posts
W00T!

Only issue I have is slow forum. Thanks for addressing this :D

·
Registered
962 Posts
Excellent news! I too second that new members must reach the 50 post count per the sections or threads not part of off topic if at all possible.

Otherwise, the slow forum being addressed will greatly improve every aspect

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How about the featured classifieds for contributing members not showing stuff thats already been sold. Dont know how that works though.

Ant

So once a member closes a thread as sold, it will no longer show up in the top header?

sounds logical

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
The one thing I am going to have him work after he fixes the current problems is the Classified section. We are going to give the forum members a way to close their classified threads and mark them SOLD.ANT
+1 for that added functionality.

AutoDupe "feature" was sometimes good for a laugh, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't happy to see it go.

It would be nice that when you go to "My Threads" and hit the little blue arrow that goes to the last post in the thread, it instead went to the last post that was there when you last read the thread. That would be pretty sweet and save me a lot of scrolling, but I have no idea how difficult that would be to code...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Tried it for a day.. Forum cut my nuts off for it.
Pure reputation is (the one where you can go negative as well) but the one that works well in almost every forum I've been in is the one where you can only give postive feedback (such as overclock.net )

For the thanks, it's basically when somebody posts a thread or post that's useful and appreciated, somebody can click on "Thanks" and it just says at the bottom "Thanked by: " and under user info it says "thanked __ number of times in __ posts" along with "gave tanks to __ posts" (such as on revscene.net )

There's no downside to it since nobody can purposely give anybody anything malicious or "negative" like in the regular reputation which always backfires

·
Registered
85 Posts
the classifieds get messy with all the "bumps" the older ones end up getting lost. Also finding the itrader feedback was difficult

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's on your end, sir. Check how your web browser deals with cookies. FireFox only signs me out if I clear them, other wise I stay logged in forever.

Ant, I understand why you limit the time allowed to edit a post, but can you make an exception for the Classified section? I hate digging through 3 pages in a FS add just to check whether or not the item has been sold, because the OP cannot edit the first post, or if the price changed, etc.

Or possibly allow the user to only ADD to the first post, without deleting it, something along those lines.
Thanks a million. I can't believe that's been the problem all along. I've wanted to pull my hair out over this some days. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
This might be a dumb idea, and not help with anything...but anyway.

Fairly new here, registered to do searches for my first build. I'm a beginner, no clue what I'm doing, and this site hasn't been very simple to find out the basics. Would it hurt anything to have a beginners section for people who are just getting started?

I know forums, know you can't get rid of idiot newbies no matter what, but some stickies here and there for 'beginners' links would have helped me a lot. Was hoping to find something like that under DIYMA Tutorials, most of which went right over my head.

For what it's worth, did use second skin products for my first attempt at a system because of the obvious support of the site.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I'm easy...lmao!

Really I am. I just want the auto-dupe/hanging there doing nothing (probably auto-duping) after a post stuff gone, and maybe if it loaded pages faster. Yeah, the sold thing in the for sale section would be cool too.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts