DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
MonkeyBone has the wrong info...:p

quote>
I'll have 1.5cf per chamber (sealed) and that is supposed increase power handling as the size of the box increases.
quote>

$400.00 shot in the ___ !:p

Paper weight anyone ...

quote.
bump, will trade fro JBL GTO 12" dual 4ohm....

:laugh:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know, right!? :laugh:

And apparently they're unaware of the qualities this motor possesses in terms of shorting rings and all the benefits involved with them. The coil and spider might still be okay, new cone could be put in place and the driver would retain most of it's qualities. Efficiency and Fs might change a little depending on if they used a heavier cone. What else? Q?

·
Registered
751 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I've done the same thing to two of them.:(

I gave up on them after that. I needed a more "stout" sub apparently.
Well, in that case, I'll have to withdraw the "in the wrong hands" part of that statement since you seem to be a pretty capable guy.

Still, it doesn't seem like this would be easy to do. Is this happening with over-excursion due to the enclosure being too large or does this happen with too much power?

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I admit I was running them fairly hard when it happened, but anyway, I found out the hard way it wasn't the right subwoofer for me.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Take this with a grain of Slt, but if it were a "SEALED" environment, the SI Mag V4 has pleasant lows -but since you ruined 2 R12's you may/or may not need to overcompensate (4 vs 2 Mags)... I say that, but 4 Mags with 250W each or more would break the inside of your car apart (tuned higher at 100+htz)... I' m just sayin this for you SPL/wanna be SQL guys (hey I like the idea of rain sometimes) -but you may like what you hear with these subs and have to go multi... just a thought... I don't have the power rt now... BUT I'm thinkin about it... rear seat removable!... Sometimes I wish I had more of the "good stuff" I've heard on the low end.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Well I ruined the 2 Diyma's on separate occasions. I wasn't running them both at the same time. That was probably 2 years ago. In fact I don't even have the car that they were installed in anymore.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well I ruined the 2 Diyma's on separate occasions.
That is concerning! I mean, I'm sure you knew what you were doing, and you still killed TWO, now I don't really know what I'm doing (its waiting to be installed, will be hooked up with 600W RMS) How am i going to make sure they live!?

Have you got more details of how you killed them? Did you just turn up the volume and BOOM? Or did you mess up setting the gain? (which I thought shouldn't happen on experienced hands?)

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
That is concerning! I mean, I'm sure you knew what you were doing, and you still killed TWO, now I don't really know what I'm doing (its waiting to be installed, will be hooked up with 600W RMS) How am i going to make sure they live!?

Have you got more details of how you killed them? Did you just turn up the volume and BOOM? Or did you mess up setting the gain? (which I thought shouldn't happen on experienced hands?)
It wasn't a gain setting or anything, I just apparently played them louder than they wanted me too. I was running it with about 425 watts at the time in about .83 ft3 sealed.

The sub sounds great, very easy to blend with the system, but they don't much care for any level of "abuse" if that's what you want to call it. They didn't quit working or anything, I just started hearing a metallic noise which I believe was the voice coil hitting the pole piece. I believe that happened because the cone got tweaked which in turn made the voice coil no longer centered in the gap.

If you are truly just into SQ and don't like to "boom" every now and then, then these subs will work out great. I'm mostly into SQ but I like to get loud sometimes too, and these subs really don't so much. I ended up replacing it with an RE SE12 with the same amp and same enclosure and never had an issue again. I'd give the Diyma a slight edge in SQ over the RE SE, but overall the RE was a much better match for my listening style.

There's no reason for anyone to be concerned with using the Diyma because I destroyed two unless you are saying you only want a SQ sub because that's what people here seem to want to hear, but are in fact a closet SPL fan at times too. That can lead to disaster, but in a strictly SQ setup they should not be a problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm very glad you went into depth with that, I was beginning to think I'd unintentionally started the "Death Of The DIYMA R12" thread.

I just wanted to share the link to give a few of you a little chuckle perhaps, not to cause dismay over the purchase of one. Clearly this product is loved by many and the numbers tell a solid story as far as parameters are concerned. I would repeat what I've heard many others state and be clear on your goals for your system. As 89grand put it, closet SPL guys should probably take note.

·
Registered
302 Posts
hmmm thx for the insight. Well, to claim that I'm a pure SQ guy is like saying I'm a hardcore audiophile, which, obviously is not true. There is definitely a bit of SPL in me (isn't there a little SPL in all of us? just like femininity!?) Having said that, the simple system that I truly enjoy is in fact my simple 2way bookshelf speakers in my room, and I love listening to them - i.e. I don't normally even need a sub when I listen to music, and when I do have a sub, I don't like turning it up that much cause it overpowers everything else. Thats in my room though. There is definitely still a little 16 yr old inside me when I'm in the car.So I'll just have to be extra careful I guess.

I have a .7ft3, and 600W rms, that obviously scares me. So my question is, how can i make sure I keep my sub healthy? Just don't ever turn it up? o_O how can i tell when it is 'too much?' and stop?

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
To be honest, I don't recall getting any warning signs with mine before the cone buckled. I don't have a clear cut answer for you. If I knew the exact stopping point, I would have maybe only ruined one of them.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Perhaps this is best for npdang to answer or read, but I think it would be great if the same sub was offered with a treated paper cone. I like paper cone subs. They are rigid, rugged and sound great to me for the ones that I've owned. I understand the aluminum cone was probably chosen for its light weight for an excellent transient response when coupled with a strong motor and suspension assembly but it seems to just be too darn thin for some applications. And would not putting that in a small sealed box just amplify the chance of damaging the cone from too much pressure being exerted on it? That's just how it seems to me. Even still, I'm really really tempted to buy one at the $100 shipped price. That's just killer!

·
Registered
973 Posts
im not reading all this BS, but is there a problem that im selling my sub? i have no use for it so im selling it. deal with it

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
A second run of these with a similar cone that Dayton uses on their HO and HF drivers, would be nice, those cones are very thick, and just as sexy.

I've pushed mine to it's limits, it makes an audible metal on metal pop/tap noise. I also now know how far it can go before she gets upset. I generally don't listen to bass heavy music, I was just curious to see what she can do. For me, on my every day music, I'll never destroy this thing because I'll never be able to push it that far.

If anyone has output high up on their priority list, I would strongly suggest to you that you consider an SI Mag V4 instead. Similar qualities, without the paper thin cone.

Now I just need to get off my ass and install my other one...hmmm a pair of DIYMA R12s IB'd, sounds sexy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts