DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just got my speakers in. Took a really long time deadening the door and sealing it up real nice. But the speakers do sound wonderful. Now i'm in the process of tuning it. What crossover point is optimal for the W18NX? I've been trying around 1000-1500, but i understand that the nextel cones can go higher then the magnesium cones?

So what would be the most optimal crossover point for a 2-way setup? I am running 200 watts @ 4 ohms on them, and currently have them temp paired with a set of focal TN52 tweeters which i plan to replace with either a seas refrence tweeter or a scanspeak 6000.1.

Any help would be greatly apprecited.

Thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
cross them until it sounds best. Your car's environment will dictate what your speakers will sound like. I've heard Seas lotus reference mids sound great crossed at 1.8khz @ 24db, and i've heard worse at a lower xover point. If you have active (i'm assuming), just play around with it until it sounds good. No way anyone can tell u what will sound good to your ears. If you happen to like the sound of cone breakup, so be it :D

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is my first time goign active. i have no idea what kidna ball park i should be aiming the cross over at. So somewhere around 1500-2000 hz? I only have a slope of 18db to work with.

What i'm a bit confused is the crossover gap between the woofer and the tweeter.... How big of a gap is acceptable so that i dont miss any frequencies? Like i tried setting teh woofer at 1500, and then cross teh tweeters at around 3000 ... is that gap too big?

·
Registered
250 Posts
af22 said:
Like i tried setting teh woofer at 1500, and then cross teh tweeters at around 3000 ... is that gap too big?
depends on the crossover slope. On a shallow slope (like 6db/octave), thats not too bad. On a 24db slope, thats a bit too wide of a gap.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am not sure on this but its my logic.

cross your tweeter as low as possible because thats usually where your gonna want it so you can avoid your mids cone breakup if it has some.

then i take my mid and just start turning the dial till i like what i hear then change it if it feels to muddy or if it sounds harsh which usually means cone breakup.

its simple but effective. thats what I do for active that is.

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
do you guys adjust the loudness of each speaker first before messing with the crossovers?

·
Registered
415 Posts
af22 said:
do you guys adjust the loudness of each speaker first before messing with the crossovers?
Yes. I usually do level matching first. Then general crossover points. Time correction. Then fine tune crossover points and slopes for each driver.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
af22 said:
Its not really considered loudness, but for some reason alot of people think the gain is a volume button. All you are doing is matching your individual voltages so that you optimize your system's output.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts