DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well I just swooped up on a DIYMA 12 for the low end and now I need to decide on my front end. For reference I have a pair of old school Soundstream D200's(4 mono amps basically) for my mids and tweets though I feel that it'll be a tad overkill on my tweeters, will have to turn the gains down a bit. My budget is around 300$(might splurge a tad if I feel the need), though if I can find a great setup for less I'm game. I'll be running them active off of either an 880prs or the Clarion 785USB. Let's see how much I end up spending on speakers which probably will give me the most bang for my buck.

Been reading for a couple of weeks now and think the CA18RNX is a likely candidate for my midbass duties. Really wish I could find a pair of used G18's as they seemed a better fit, but the CA18's will probably be sufficient.

I'm still up in the air about tweeter choices though as I have room for a large format in my 06 Xb dash locations. I can fit a 3.5" mid in there so most tweeters should fit. The Hiquphon OW1's have really caught my eye though they are a bit expensive but they seem to fit what I'm looking for:

Good off axis response since they won't be firing directly at me, supposedly not harsh at all while still sounding airy. Based on the numbers alone these 2 seem as though they'd mesh well together though I'd like some ideas. I heard they don't play well below 2khz and I was considering a large format partially due to the ability to play low and keep the soundstage higher up, though if they blend well it may not be an issue. Any other tweeters come to mind that can do what I'm wanting that may even be a bit cheaper?

Lastly for 300$ would you focus money on the mids or tweets or shoot down the middle? Meaning will the OW1's outweigh a cheaper mid, or is a higher quality mid a better choice with a cheaper tweeter?

If I could find some used G18s and OW1's I'd be in business :p

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I would really try to find some Seas G18RNX mids maybe from Untitled Document if not, try looking into the Seas ER18RNX mids. I used the G18s before and currently using the ER18s, hard to say which ones are better right now since i have only had them in for a week.

As far as the tweeters, the Hiquphon OWI is a great choice but firing into the windshield with them might not be such a wise choice, but only trial and error in your car.

IMO your equipment choices are spot on...your install and tuning is whats really going to make the difference. Good luck

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since I have an Xb which has a very steep windshield, with a little bit of added angle mount I should be able to aim them so they don't directly fire into the windshield. I'm even considering fabricating some sort of pods so that I can aim them more on axis. I'll definately attempt the stock locations and try to angle as best I can and resort to other measures if needbe.

·
Registered
962 Posts
GET the OWI's, you will not regret it whatsoever, TRUST me

My windshield is steeper too. lolol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts