DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got ahold of these 2 beauties last night, figured someone on here would appreciate them. Both work flawlessly. one is in excellent condition, the other has a minor cosmetic defect (fins on a corner are bend/scraped a bit) and the switch for the LPF is broken.

Hooked one of them up to my Old school Rockford Punch HX2 8" sub...really makes that thing pound at 600w rms.

I'd link to pictures but apparently I need 5 posts before I can :mean:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I do have a question...if anyone knows. I pulled the bottom plates off of both, they are internally fused. there are 3 outlets for fuses, but it only has 2 of them with fuses in. 15amp fuses on both sides and the center one is empty. I saw a picture from ampguts of one and it had either a 30amp or a 40amp fuse in the center and a 15 amp on each side.

Any idea what the center one does, maybe allows it to drop to 1ohm or something? Because they both work fine right now, although I have not tested them at 1ohm.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Is the 40 UHC rated at 600 watts? If so, then maybe your amp requires three 20 amp fuses? If it's rated to make 900 watts then three 30 amp fuses would be needed.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Its old school,high current,inefficient.3x20 for most amps,but maybe 3x25 or 3x30 for this one.
Were these .5 stereo,1ohm mono or even lower?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its old school,high current,inefficient.3x20 for most amps,but maybe 3x25 or 3x30 for this one.
Were these .5 stereo,1ohm mono or even lower?
It's rated at:
40w RMS at 4ohm
600w RMS at 2ohm
1200+w RMS at 1ohm
These are at 12ish volts. I've heard they do 1500+ at 1ohm on 14.4v.

And yes, they're rather inefficient, they are power hogs.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Maybe three x 40 amp fuses then? Hard to see that amp making 1200 watts with 90 amps of fusing. Obviously an owners manual would help greatly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I found out the reason for the weird fuse configuration, etc. Turns out they've been modified so that they are stable (they were notoriously unstable at high output) for music and such.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here are some better ones too:
IMG_9835_120127.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_9834_120127.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_9832_120127.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_9820_120127.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Here's a video of one of them powering my new DC Audio LVL 5 15"
http://youtu.be/7Akalso7Zp8 (there are other videos of them powering misc other subs on my youtube channel)

Also, both of these are on ebay currently: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/ebay-car-audio-deals/123660-earthquake-40uhc-golds-sale.html#post1553307

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess I just need to know what size the internal fuses should be. Mine are sitting at 15, 30, and 15.
That sounds about right. The other 40uhcs I've seen have either that configuration or 15, 40, 15. The reason mine have the center one missing is that they are modified.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Really? I'd like to know what you had done. One last question; have you ever tested your amp (stock) to see if it did at least rated power? We've been finding out recently that some of the old school ratings have become grossly inflated by bad memories, nostalgia, and incorrect testing methods. I'm going to test mine, but it's not going to be for awhile.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts