DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can understand setting your mids and high's gains with a 0db test tone since when I look at music in audacity, it will reach up to 0db (mostly in the tweeter region though); but wouldnt it be best to use say a -5db test tone for setting your sub amp gain? Since the bass in the song never seems to go past about that point? or am I missing something here?

I've never "properly" set my gains with a DMM or an o-scope always done by ear and was just wondering if this might help me out a bit.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Google DSO ARM NANO , buy one and from that day on be 100% positive your not clipping the amp and Getting the most output.

To address the question, music today is so varied it would be impossible to say what level something is being recorded at and assume it's going to be the same from different sources. From radio to cd to mp3s it's just not possible. Set it with an oscope and A test tone if you listen to rap or electronic type music. If it's classic or rock I'd set with a tone and then bump it up a tad.

Some Amps like Zed audio amps have built in clip meters. If you really need to stress out an amp to get the output you want, I'd add more drivers to displace more air.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts