DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning!
New user here. I've got an 08 Chev Trailblazer and the radio only puts out mid range audio, it appears.
I've had the suv for about 5 months now and the stereo started acting up after about a week. Speakers randomly work, random full volume (hasn't done that in about 2 months), very tinny sounding as I have to crank up the volume, mid range and treble fully in order to barely make out the song or what they're saying on the radio.
Unless you call hacking away at car stereos in 70's vehicles "experienced", I'm very much a beginner here.
All I really want is to hear proper sound. I like the "toy" approach of replacing my stock unit with a touchscreen unit but I've got all kinds of questions.
As I'm very much a beginner, I don't "talk the talk" yet.
As it is a stock unit, it's a stock setup.
-2 din
-CD player
-don't even know how many speakers it has, at a quick guess, I'd say 8 (2 dash, 1 in each door and 2 in the tailgate)
-the cavity will accommodate a 7" screen
Here, finally, are my questions. All from endlessly looking at primarily Amazon.
  • The basic units run about 90 to 150 dollars; I only want basic quality with the bells and whistles. Am I wasting my money?
  • I've got an android phone but the majority of the units at this price say they only work with certain android versions. If I've got a newer android version, will the wireless connection still work?
  • I'm going basic and cheap. The truck won't last forever so I'm not spending money where I don't need to. Do I need to purchase an additional wiring harness or can I just splice things together?
  • I've forgotten the trademarked term for connectivity to the door chimes, etc but I don't hear the chimes now so I won't miss them if they're still not there:) Will it do any harm if the ad says "not compatible with (whatever chev's trademark connectivity name is)?
Thanks to everyone. And yes, my posts are almost always this wordy. My apologies.
Ross

· Registered
2022 Subaru WRX Premium 6-speed
853 Posts
Hello and welcome! First off start by going to crutchfield.comb to determine what 8s never to replace your factory radio. You will need at minimum a dash kit and wiring harness. The harness will be needed unless you know how to cut up your existing harness to get the connections you need,based on what you've mentioned you don't. That's not a problem, actually better to know your limitations before going in over your head.

Basics;

Dash kit
Harness
Radio
Speakers

Dash kit and harness type are dependant on if you have Bose or not
Radio any double din should work
Speakers as need

Use the resources at crutchfield to determine and then purchase as your budget allows. Now for the radio, the cheap Android radios can get a viable option but they very much depend on model, version and capabilities requested. I can recommend Joying as I've used it and liked it. Set up a plan and stick to it. Biggest initial outlay will be the radio and needed components to replace it, speakers can come later. Feel free to ask whatever you need.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! Very impressed and grateful for the quick response!
So, a couple of things I don't understand from your info.
You said to go to Crutchfield (been there and will return) and "determine what 8's I'll need". I've said it both in my mind and out loud and I still can't figure out what "8's" are :)
Also, you said you used "Joying " . I assume that's the brand name but I've not seen it advertised yet.
The units I'm looking at come with a wiring harness that plugs into their unit with bare wires opposed the plug. Do you recommend still purchasing a harness or can I just look up the color coding of the wires and splice them in?
Thanks again, THX!

· Registered
853 Posts
Typo, should have been "is you'll need" not "8s I'll need"
Yes Joying is the brand and on their website joyingauto.com they offer many options. You can get a 7" that's just like a registry double din radio or you can get a larger screen up to 10 or 11 now that still is a double din chassis but a screen that "floats" Infront of it. Just look at the process as to what you're comfortable with paying.
For the harness, yes definitely you will need one along with the dash kit to replace the factory radio. With the harness it'll allow you to splice together the radio harness color for color. I do not recommend cutting up your factory harness at all, unless there isn't one available.
Do you have Bose system or not?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

· Registered
853 Posts
Ok so no Bose speakers are 6.5" front and rear and smaller dash speakers if you have the opening

METRA HAS DASH KIT 99-2003 82-3021 82-3022 82-3023 72-4568

PAC AUDIO HAS GMK-422 AND GM6

AXXESS HAS AX-GMCL2

SCOSCHE GM1583B

I'm sure there are more but this is a good start. Seriously though go to Crutchfield and they will give you everything you need for a good price and support is top notch, just looking quickly you can get a decent radio for under $300 and the accessories to install it including dash kit and harnesses etc starts at $32 if you purchase the radio. Take some time and check it out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.