DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an Alpine H701(w/ controller) and couple of audison amps, but waiting on one small answer to go into the car.

Does anyone knows if the JVC KW-AVX820 or KW-AVX720 optical out will work in combination of the HD radio kit KT-HD300? I already emailed JVC, haven't got back answer. I see in manual that PCM optical out is good, but am not sure about the HD radio. Also the connector from the HD300 to the HU, it uses the CD changer plug, is that digital in as well?

My first priority for this setup would be the HD radio, as I like NPR. And if this setup works, then it'd be awesome.

I tested the H701 w/ my optical home gears and it works great. And JVC is probably one of the few big OEM still cares about us and have Toshlink PCM out on alot of their gears.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ouch, I understand most customer support jobs are jokes, but I still am pissed about the stupid stuff they come up w/ sometime. Here are the email reply from JVC, as well as mine:

Thank you for contacting JVC Customer Care. .....

I understand that you are inquiring about KW-AVX820 Mobile stereo. Please note that the optical out port of this unit is only designed for outputting your 5.1 audio from DVD's only. Page 67 does have this information under the section for "DVD/CD". The optical will not produce any audio for HD radio since HD radio can only output STEREO audio with CD audio quality.

my reply:

Read your own manual, on the page 58 section "Through the DIGITAL OUT terminal", clearly stated that Audio CD, MPEG, there will be 44.1kHz/48kHz stereo 16 bits signal. In fact, MP3, WAV, AAC, all can be used with optical out, according to the owners manual.

I'm absolutely abhorred about the fact that someone in customer support/sale dept don't even bother to make a call or send an email to the tech dept and ask this simple question. Instead they just flip through the manual and make up some answer, an absolutely wrong one at that.

If ANYONE else have another answer to my very legitimate question: Can the AVX820 use optical out in combination with HD radio. Please reply, otherwise please keep the misinformation to your own customer-support-self.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Confirmed its a no go.
Have to use the RCA. Might just do that. Saw some good review for the HD300. Plus it's cheapest than the Alpine 550 anyway....

I understand that you would like to know if the unit will output audio from the Digital optical port if the source being heard is from a CD-Changer connected to the rear CD-changer port.

This unit will output audio only with corresponding files from the supplied USB port or CD/DVD slot. The audio would not transmit from an external source to the unit to then be output through the optical output; we apologize for the inconvenience that this may have caused.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts