DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if this JVC head unit would be ok for my mid- level build with an eye on SQ:
JVC KD-R730BT

JVC KD-R730BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

It's not one of their top end models.

What I like:
CD
USB x2
Radio presets on face
Some level of Android support
I know it's cheesy, but I kind of like being able to adjust the color.

What I don't like:
2.5 V outputs
JVC (in the past I had bad luck with a VCR).

The signal to noise ratio is 102 dB. That's pretty good, but I asked about a Sony with 120 dB SNR and everyone poo poo'd it.

I should mention that I'm using a JBL MS-8 for time alignment, xovers, etc. so I don't need a lot of EQ stuff on the head unit. It only handles 2.8 V input, so maybe the 2.5 V output of the unit isn't so bad.

Comments?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I would step up to the Arsenal line for the KD-A725 for the same price. You get a Burr-Brown DAC upgrade and double the warranty length. You'll most likely need to set your Android device to USB Mass Storage to make use of the USB connection.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing I don't like about that is I do use the radio quite a bit driving to work and I don't want to sift through menus to find my preset stations.

What makes the Burr Brown 24 bit DAC any better than a ummm a normal 24 bit DAC.?

I see this one doesn't have it mentioned at all. Man, I've looked at so many head units, it's all a blur. Most of them have it.

I would rather have the higher SQ than the presets, but maybe I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion by the bye. Glad you were keeping an eye out.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Finding a new HU is a pita, one model doesn't have this or that and the other model has it but is missing something else. One of these days a well rounded DD should be made.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I couldn't agree more on the PITA part.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What does "......................." mean?

Is that like a bump?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So unless someone has anything else earth-shattering to say about it, I will probably buy the arsenal version of the JVC in the next couple of days. It gets good reviews, seems to have decent performance, had a decent price and the only thing about it I really don't like is the lack of preset radio station buttons on the front. But I looked at the manual online and I can scroll through them with the up and down buttons. You always have to get used to something new on a new head unit. I guess this will be mine.

I haven't bought a head unit in a long time, so I'm interested in how it will sound in my system. I'm still monitoring this thread if anyone else wants to chime in. I appreciate the advice and enjoy reading your opinions.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you listen to the radio a lot. You should really think hard about a lack of preset buttons. I love my kenwood x995 but I keep thinking about downgrading just to gain preset buttons and I dont even listen to the radio THAT much.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i have a JVC Arsenal KD-AHD69 and i have no major complaints about it at all.....2nd JVC HU and I nevcer had any major problems.There are better and there are worse ones out there

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you listen to the radio a lot. You should really think hard about a lack of preset buttons. I love my kenwood x995 but I keep thinking about downgrading just to gain preset buttons and I dont even listen to the radio THAT much.
You don't think the up/down buttons work ok? Have you tried them?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Havent messed with jvc. with kenwood you hit the fav button then scroll. I dont care for it. If you just have an up and down button that you dont have to hit any other button to access, it may not be that bad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts