DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these have different functions, but I like both of them and could not find any feedback on the JVC KD-AVX77. Does anyone have any experience with it, or general thoughts on JVC relative to Pioneer?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
You really can't compare those two. Do you care more about SQ or having a DVD player?

Personally I think the 880 is a much better deck with all of it's control and ability to run an active SQ based system, but if I needed a DVD player, than the JVC would be better. I've just never been a JVC fan at all, but that's just me.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
The P880PRS vs. SH1000 is a better comparison of products meant for the same purpose. The Pioneer offers more EQing power then most anything out there including separate left and right EQs which can be very nice. The JVC has an edge on portable storage devices being able to use both USB and SD. This might be useful for a person who do tend to carry around thumb drives and such and prefers this method of music storage.

Also toss in the Alpine 9887, unique with its many crossover slope options, and Clarion's DXZ785USB which does offer separate left and right EQ, although just 3-band parametric, and is special because of its affordability at a solid $100 under the others.

All these units offer 3-way x-over control and time alignment allowing you to run an active 3-way system. This is the main benefit of these HUs.

Which you buy depends on your priorities.
EQ - Pioneer
X-over slopes - Alpine
Flash drives - JVC
Cheap - Clarion

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have a different DD JVC unit, but it has the same menu options, SQ options, and remote as the AVX77. I hate the way the menu screens are laid out, too much picking and scrolling to get to the important features. The remote doesn't really help much in that regard except for basic volume control and track skipping. One thing that pisses me off on the JVC's is you can only go preset up through your radio stations, not preset down, and to do that with the remote requires 2 button mashes which is virtually impossible to do with one hand.

For SQ, the JVC has a 7 band eq, with 10 presets (3 user defined). It has a high pass filter selectable for pass through, 80, 120, or 150hz if you're using the sub out. The sub out seems weaker than its claimed 5V. There's a bass level control (buried in the menus). There are no other SQ settings for crossovers, TA or anything else. The built-in BT has nice features but sounds mediocre, but that might be due to my mic placement.

Everything else about the JVC's are pretty nice. The display looks good, the USB and SD drives work well, and it sounds good. They have lots of features for the price (detachable face!), but if you need more tuning ability or are nitpicky about the interface like me, you'll probably want something else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you again. The input is great and much appreciated. You are absolutely right on features, but the gating issue is really quality. If it doesn't work, or if it is a lower quality, features don't matter. It sounds like the consensus is that JVC is on a par with Pioneer. I don't know just because I have not seen it offered as widely and most people only talk about Pioneer and Alpine.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'd say JVC quaility is just as good as the others. Nothing feels flimsy or cheap. Even the detachable face feels pretty durable and solid. It's good bang for the buck. I have the HD tuner module and backup cam and they work well, except the cam has too much fisheye for me.

Really my only complaints are the menu layouts and lack of tuning options mentioned above. Oh yeah... no volume knob sucks too. You can circle your finger on the screen to adjust volume but that's just a gimmick for kids to play with.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I've always preferred JVC over other brands. They're build like tanks too. The only problem is that they have always been someone light (comparatively) on features.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the JVC. It has good and bad. I like the gimmicky widescreen. Fits nicely in my super small Lotus elise, which is too small for flipscreen. Having no volume knob sucks. The widescreen plays like really little movies, and small buttons and small rearview picture compared to flip screen. The setup menus require scrolling forever to find what you want. I can live with those faults.

I cant live with the significant RCA preout buzz. The headunit amplifier works fine. Spent a great deal of time hooking up a Alpine pdx-5 only to discover horrible rca preout buzz. Put back in stock alpinehead unit, buzz gone (with same wiring and amp). TICKED OFF. Cannot recommend JVC. Discussed the acoustic engineer, apparently JVC is known for preout buzz. Going to sell it on ebay, fukin basterd hed unit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts