Ro = 9.0532 ohm
Fs = 792.2568 Hz
Fmin = 2.6305 kHz
Qes = 1.4457
Qms = 1.5284
Qts = 0.7430
Le = 0.0000 H @1k
XLe = 7.8166 ohm @1k

Here is the impedance and phase plot. The Fs of the driver is at the highest point on the red line. 792 hertz.

This is a comparison between another once available XBL tweeter and the KAXBLTWT.

There is no smoothing on this graph. The KAXBLTWT falls within a 2.5 db window. If there is even 1/12th octave smoothing it looks almost like a flat line. Put this same measurement through the standard 1/3 octave marketing filter and you get a flat line.

This is a very well behave little tweeter.

Some idea as to consistency between pieces:

9 samples measured without any faceplate. Yes the faceplate has a lot to do with keeping the response smoother! The lone black line is the Comparison with the LD25X again with no faceplate.

The KAXBLTWT samples are within +/-1.5 db of each other.

Can you say tight QC?

The basic elements of what I am putting together for a faceplate looks like this:

Yes stolen off of a Google image search. But this is pretty much what I have up my sleeve. Designed to fit in a 2 inch or 50mm hole. Will have a 3mm flange around the edge to cover the cut, and a few ribs on the outside edge to keep them in place.

There will be fastons on the back for connection.

As of right now these are going to be unbranded. Branding will mean a lot more money sunk into things that have nothing to do with sound quality. Tooling a logo into the bezel will cost a boat load of money.

· Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Consistency. There were some good tweeters in the LD25X batch. The first two top trays in the shipment. Standard manufacturers tricks. Put the good ones on top.

I work with a factory where every part of the build is checked. Every motor is tested for a go/nogo on motor strength. Every dome/coil assembly is weighed. The glue is metered. The glue metering is tested every 20 minutes. The entire driver run is checked for Fs within a 3 db window on a ClioQC system. These guys are as crazy as me in terms as quality control.

Here you get to see the measurement system, and the upper and lower limits of acceptability. The response in the test enclosure is not flat. What you look for is repeatability. We keep the margin of error with a plus or minus 1.5db window. The central line is the actual device under test. And we calibrate the measurement every so often with the measured and verified prototypes. If they don't pass here they are rejected. There is no B stock!

Here are the actual settings within Clio QC

Yes those two ladies actually test every single motor at 4 points for flux density. 12 3 6 9 on the clock. Verifies that we have a consistent flux density. And keeps all the drivers consistent. If they don't pass this test they go back to the charging station. If they fail after a seconf charging they become paper weights. The world needs more paper weights.

Genuine Ferro Fluid. Not the knock off stuff. It's $1400 U.S. per liter. But you get what you pay for.

True automatic, metered dispensing system.

Regular glue dispensing is measured for QC, mass, consistency, setting times.

Yep the giant chrome dome is me making sure things are being done correctly. I work there from time to time spitting out interesting driver designs.

· Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The nitty gritty.

Final price after all my negotiations with the faceplate vendor is for this tweeter to sell as a two pc set. They will all come with a faceplate.

$125/pair shipped​

Option 2​

No faceplate and $95.​
Take note of the response without a faceplate.​

Shipping will be by expedited parcel post with a tracking number.

Payment:

50% down payment to secure your tweeters. 50% when my tweeter shipment arrives. I'll post the tracking numbers for you guys to watch the shipment coming from China. When final payment is confirmed by each person then I ship. You get the tracking numbers to prove shipment.

Payment method. Paypal. I absorb the 3% fees.

Delivery within 60 days of this groupbuy. So end of August or sooner. I can make it sooner with shipping via my air freight account.

If there is demand I can increase the run size. As of today the run size is set at 100pcs total.

All parcels will ship from my workplace/home close to Ottawa Canada. You can find me if you are determined.

All those interested PM me and we can set things up.

· Registered
2,051 Posts
PM sent!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

· Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A couple questions have been asked.

Crossover point?

The tweeters Fs is around 800 hertz. The steeper the crossover slope you use the lower you will be successful at using. A third order slope will be the minimum if you want anything near to 1500 hertz. If you can go with a higher slope you can drop it a bit.

But be careful! A burnt out tweeter is not a happy tweeter. ( Really no kidding )

· Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd like some idea what kind of Xmax, power handling, or max reasonable dB we're talking about here.

Thanks!

Matt

This driver has a X-max of around 1.6 mm

So maximum SPL is directly related to a few things.

Crossover frequency. And power handling.

I'll run a few simulations to give you a graph showing this.

· Banned
6,112 Posts
very tempting to get in on this, but is it a group buy deal, or are you going to charge 115 a pair for the say, 30 pairs that don't sell in the group buy as a listing in the classifieds?

meaning, do I wait and pay the same, or will the price magically rise if not in on the first turn out/deposit list?

hard for me to dedicate funds but after seeing the SI BM IV shallow sub group buy/pre-sale, it's almost a lock to get into this venture with an enthusiasm...

because you are almost assured if you don't use them, you can get out what you put in later on should that necessity befall you...

I guess what I'm saying is, will these come with individual test read-outs quality control, and hand matching for response and impedance?

that would get some people off the fence, if they could get that personal touch that the bigger guys can't do.

I mean, it looks like you're getting a Chinese build house to churn these out, but you know the old ladies testing the magnetic parts, so...

is this a joint assembly venture, where most of the parts are coming off a boat, and OH! CANADA! is doing the final testing?

I'm sorry, too muchy coffee this AM.

GROUP BUY, ME LIKEY.

· Registered
2,051 Posts
Will there be a large format home version of this tweeter as well? Deposit sent. Excited to see how these work out.

· Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
very tempting to get in on this, but is it a group buy deal, or are you going to charge 115 a pair for the say, 30 pairs that don't sell in the group buy as a listing in the classifieds?

meaning, do I wait and pay the same, or will the price magically rise if not in on the first turn out/deposit list?

hard for me to dedicate funds but after seeing the SI BM IV shallow sub group buy/pre-sale, it's almost a lock to get into this venture with an enthusiasm...

because you are almost assured if you don't use them, you can get out what you put in later on should that necessity befall you...

I guess what I'm saying is, will these come with individual test read-outs quality control, and hand matching for response and impedance?

that would get some people off the fence, if they could get that personal touch that the bigger guys can't do.

I mean, it looks like you're getting a Chinese build house to churn these out, but you know the old ladies testing the magnetic parts, so...

is this a joint assembly venture, where most of the parts are coming off a boat, and OH! CANADA! is doing the final testing?

I'm sorry, too muchy coffee this AM.

GROUP BUY, ME LIKEY.
Ok no more coffee for you!

But all Joking aside I appreciate your legitimate questions.

I work with this factory regularly.

I make my living in part as a driver engineering consultant.

This product is one of my current offerings to OEM's.

So short answer.

It is a proven product. In production. The production run will be large enough because this group buy is being used to top up the production run quantities. The minimum is 250 pcs.

I know exactly what the costs are. The only cost that was in question was the mounting faceplate.

So even if there are only a couple of dozen purchases I will still be able to complete paid for purchases and the shipping.

As for the questions of a Chinese build house and old ladies.

Seriously.

This is an American owned and run build house. There are no old ladies, unless you are really young, but I take it you have finished college so you can't be that young!

As for quality and matching.

I don't think this has gotten through all the static yet.

Every single tweeter is QC'd in every conceivable way from start to finish.

The Glue is metered and Measured

Motor strength

Cone Mass

Electrical and Acoustical Response.

Thiele/Small Parameters

They are all matching better than any company you could every buy products from to begin with. This is not a cheap Chinese build house. This is a build house that is very picky with whom they choose to work with. They can take or leave clients as they choose. Very high end.

Plus or minus 1.5 db matching window.

I, the designer, assemble them here in Canada from Canadian made tweeter bezel and a Chinese made tweeter.

I have been a hands on guy since I had hair. I still do work as a Carpenter and Cabinet Maker just to get away from staring at my computer each and every day. My Father and I built the house I live in. We did all the plumbing and electrical work to. Including pouring the foundation and clearing the forest that was here when we bought the land.

I think I can assemble little tweeters.

You can get the benefit of a built house that makes drivers for some very high end companies. The experience of a designer who has been in the business since 1989.

Your call.

· Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will there be a large format home version of this tweeter as well? Deposit sent. Excited to see how these work out.

A first deposit woohoooo!

So home use.

Of course.

I have optimised a faceplate for car use.

Home use will take a little longer.

But that can be arranged to.

The price will go up about $20 to cover the larger faceplates.

They are all being made on a CNC lathe. The runs are simply not large enough to make injection molding an option.

The only other option would be to 3D print them.

But that is no small commitment on my end to setup a quality 3D printer.

· Registered
11,374 Posts
These are so close to fitting an opening I have in my lower door panel, that is 58mm. But I think the flange is just a tad too small and will not be large enough without falling thru the opening.

· Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not going to make custom faceplates. That will cost me a small fortune.

If you know someone with a 3D printer you are not in so much trouble.

If I sold a couple hundred tweeters heck I'd buy a 3D printer and print custom faceplates.

· Registered
11,374 Posts
i do have a cnc router, and a laser engraver, i should be able to fabricate some kind of spacer. Where do i sign?:D

· Registered
4,005 Posts
Shapeways - Design, buy, and sell products with 3D Printing

mwmkravchenko - get an account, upload a home-style faceplate model, and open the model to the public for sale. they cant get measurements or downlow the 3D file, but they can order a 3D printed copy of it.

if somone decides to ask for a faceplace that is a slightly different shape - it is a 2 minute modification in your 3D software plus upload.

it would make for the most custom 'tweeter bezel' manufacture ever lol. and the customer absorbs the cost of 3D printing (as well as the ablility to choose from loads of finishes) plus i think you get a comission from the sale.

cheers :)

· Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shapeways - Design, buy, and sell products with 3D Printing

mwmkravchenko - get an account, upload a home-style faceplate model, and open the model to the public for sale. they cant get measurements or downlow the 3D file, but they can order a 3D printed copy of it.

if somone decides to ask for a faceplace that is a slightly different shape - it is a 2 minute modification in your 3D software plus upload.

it would make for the most custom 'tweeter bezel' manufacture ever lol. and the customer absorbs the cost of 3D printing (as well as the ablility to choose from loads of finishes) plus i think you get a comission from the sale.

cheers :)
Ever check what they would charge for such a trinket?

It's over $50 a piece.

I think that is a bit over the top for a piece of plastic.

1 - 20 of 709 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.