DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as i know these are starting to make it into peoples hands. Wanted to know first impressions and how the look/feel/sound. Buddy of mine has the SI mids and SI BM IIIs and was thinking of the KAXBLTWT just so it was all XBL. He had seen the thread and asked me what i thought of them and all I could say is they look nice and for the price I bet are pretty good.
So what say the actual owners?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hope this doesnt turn into another ".I'm still waiting thread". Started it too soon, laserSVT.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
The look and feel is nice. Forgot the housing was aluminum which gives them a bit of heft.

Simple bench listening reveals they have an impressively low resonance. Not sure I'm going to use them since they were bought for a different build but now that vehicle is up for sale. The replacement vehicle has provisions but not too enthused about the tweets in that position behind another grill. If I could find a way to have them mount on the sails then it would be a go.

·
Registered
8,884 Posts
Love mine!!! Very versatile speaker....extremely low distortion and the sound is awesome. Very detailed, yet non fatiguing. I am experimenting with XO and slope before doing a final review. Build quality is spectacular...and visually.. a very sexy speaker.:D

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice man!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Haven't gotten to listen to mine yet but I have to say they are some of the heftiest tweets I have ever handled. They kinda just ooze quality and just from that I will be taking to Mark about his unmounted tweets with a flange that can be mounted in HT speakers.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Mine came in last week.

I haven't listened to them at all though. I don't have a vehicle that's worthy of installing a system.

The build quality is fantastic. Very solid and simple.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOLZ

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
There isn't. You had to get in on the group buy as there wasn't going to be extras for sale or a shelf item like the SI TM65. Check with Mark for the next run.

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
it would be really cool to be able to sort these out myself, with unpainted grill, not assembled or glued, so the faceplate could be either re-anodized a different color or inset into a borderless transition behind a stock door's plastic.

I'd want to cat-daddy my pair with some copper colored bits, and the way these are made, they are just perfect as platforms for customization.

the wide faceplate lens could be flocked, or foamed and the grill could be flat with no shine. Which, isn't possible if everything is glued together.

I understand about warranty and all that, and I would take my chances just so I could customize these behind a waveguide that fit my dash contour, since, to me the penultimate application of the XBL tech is to approximate the lower tuning of a CD horn driver in a small chassis, and fit it in the place where a CD driver won't go.

In a horn these may be able to play down to 1000 hz, with less than 25 watts per channel driving them on a relatively steep slope, a perfect match for something like Victor's KT-88 mono blocks.

I know, the eventual consensus has to put these in some tier that equates to the price, if only for the sake of representation even if these outperform most of the market that averages over 100 each, retail...

but, as a test bed for DIYMA evolved marketing it would be up to the task, I think.

hopefully...

·
Registered
8,884 Posts
it would be really cool to be able to sort these out myself, with unpainted grill, not assembled or glued, so the faceplate could be either re-anodized a different color or inset into a borderless transition behind a stock door's plastic.

I'd want to cat-daddy my pair with some copper colored bits, and the way these are made, they are just perfect as platforms for customization.

the wide faceplate lens could be flocked, or foamed and the grill could be flat with no shine. Which, isn't possible if everything is glued together.

I understand about warranty and all that, and I would take my chances just so I could customize these behind a waveguide that fit my dash contour, since, to me the penultimate application of the XBL tech is to approximate the lower tuning of a CD horn driver in a small chassis, and fit it in the place where a CD driver won't go.

In a horn these may be able to play down to 1000 hz, with less than 25 watts per channel driving them on a relatively steep slope, a perfect match for something like Victor's KT-88 mono blocks.

I know, the eventual consensus has to put these in some tier that equates to the price, if only for the sake of representation even if these outperform most of the market that averages over 100 each, retail...

but, as a test bed for DIYMA evolved marketing it would be up to the task, I think.

hopefully...
Did you ask mark to buy the parts from him...pretty obvious to most of us that he hates putting them together:D

1 - 20 of 193 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.