DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
41 - 60 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
mark has posted a ton of pics...here are a few good ones.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/2712946-post154.html
Pics #3 & 4! :)

Still curious how others are attempting this. I agree with earlier... if there was room on the door panel and one was willing to simply cut a hole, then tighten the ring against the panel, that would be easy without the worry of diffraction. It may not be as serious in the Tacoma being behind the panel, but I still get that icky feeling of being compromised.

·
Registered
9,551 Posts
Pics #3 & 4! :)

Still curious how others are attempting this. I agree with earlier... if there was room on the door panel and one was willing to simply cut a hole, then tighten the ring against the panel, that would be easy without the worry of diffraction. It may not be as serious in the Tacoma being behind the panel, but I still get that icky feeling of being compromised.
i'm doing mine in the lower door panels..and they image like mad...sounds as up front and wide as it did when i had tweeters sitting on my dash last winter...just need time to build baffles for them, in the mean time i have them sitting in acoustic foam.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
i'm doing mine in the lower door panels..and they image like mad...sounds as up front and wide as it did when i had tweeters sitting on my dash last winter...just need time to build baffles for them, in the mean time i have them sitting in acoustic foam.

I'm impressed that you can get them to play well from that temp install as if they were on the dash. Can only get better once you maximize them. May be something to think about. I guess the only thing to do in the case of this truck is to place them in the stock locations at least to see what they will do. Won't hurt to try. From my desktop fiddling, I'm quite sure there's no need to add a midrange even with the TM65. The percussive cues they put out were pretty strong.

·
Registered
9,551 Posts
I'm impressed that you can get them to play well from that temp install as if they were on the dash. Can only get better once you maximize them. May be something to think about. I guess the only thing to do in the case of this truck is to place them in the stock locations at least to see what they will do. Won't hurt to try. From my desktop fiddling, I'm quite sure there's no need to add a midrange even with the TM65. The percussive cues they put out were pretty strong.
If you could not see them you would bet money they were playing behind the sail panels. I have not tried them up on the dash because they may sound even better and then where would i be?:D

·
Registered
9,551 Posts
what power are they handling at that xover point?
I am powering them with 100x2...but i haven't done a DMM gain set so i dont really know how much power they are seeing.

·
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
874 Posts
Still looking for side shots?

Thread depth just over .3"

Securing ring about .150

Total depth just over 1.25"

My sail panels are not very consistent, but the meaty center where the tweeter goes as 1/4" thick!

Kinda annoying that even the "blank" panels for tweeterless systems have the tweeter support built in:

Had to do some creative grinding, and I'm not moved in so I only had a drill press and dremel. Hopefully final instal will be a bit cleaner. (May mount 'em lower in the panel to gain a little more real estate.)

A little farther off axis than the factory units, but with the waveguide that may be okay:

I wonder if I can use a 12v battery charger to power one of the ARC amps and give 'em a listen...

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Man those things are huge. I was just admiring a set Bing just installed in a car. Looks fantastic but man they are big! LOL

·
Vendor
20,615 Posts
Man those things are huge. I was just admiring a set Bing just installed in a car. Looks fantastic but man they are big! LOL

dont act like you havent had a pair of 4" tweeters in your car before lol

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Found it on his Facebook site. Great stuff going on there.

41 - 60 of 193 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.