DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
61 - 80 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Spent some time this weekend modifying my existing pods to accept these. Got the shape roughed-in, but still got some sanding to do. I just could not wait to hear these, so mocked them up regardless. Here is where I'm at at the moment...

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
Here they are getting antiquated with the TM65s...
I've only put one song through them, but they sure do sing. Will report back after some tuning.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Nice work! I'm sure this will be a very popular combo. Very eager to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·

·
Registered
749 Posts
I just found this thread.

It warms my evil little heart to see all the awesome installs.

Thanks for the positive comments.

And to big!

What would you guys like to see for small?

I can cut it down a fair bit.

Might have to put up a poll on the website to see what is most popular.

Here's a measured drawing of the critical dimensions:

Text Font Diagram Parallel Sport venue

Sport venue Font Vehicle door Car Furniture

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I just found this thread.

It warms my evil little heart to see all the awesome installs.

Thanks for the positive comments.

And to big!

What would you guys like to see for small?

I can cut it down a fair bit.

Might have to put up a poll on the website to see what is most popular.

Here's a measured drawing of the critical dimensions:

View attachment 87345

View attachment 87353
I didnt mean big in a bad way. They look like a solid chunk of a speaker. They LOOK like they can get pretty loud.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
I would fear that diminishing in size would compromise performance somewhat and I wouldn't change a thing performance-wise. They already reach down to frequencies that just about any mid can mate up with and sound good doing it!

The only thing that may help with some installs is screw mounts, but that would change the size of the front flange. The effects of that are beyond my scope.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I tested my pair in-car last night and gave them an honest 90-minute listen. I ran them from 3.2KHz at a 24dB slope and a quick tune by ear.

I listened to a mix of classical, industrial, some 90's rap, metal, and EDM.

Honestly, they're not as great as I was expecting.

They're better. So. Much. Better. My previous benchmark tweeter was the Morel Piccolo but for what I like, I thought that these easily outperformed them.

Now I just need to decide if I'm going to run the Illusion C3's or Scan 10f's with them.

Thanks for an incredible product, Mark!

·
Registered
749 Posts
I would fear that diminishing in size would compromise performance somewhat and I wouldn't change a thing performance-wise. They already reach down to frequencies that just about any mid can mate up with and sound good doing it!

The only thing that may help with some installs is screw mounts, but that would change the size of the front flange. The effects of that are beyond my scope.
Why?

It's the driver diameter and the coil height/gap height that dictate the low end performance.

Keep in mind that even though this driver has a low Fs, it is still only really effective above 1400 hertz with a steep enough crossover to keep it from destroying itself.

And a question.

Screw mount?

I design drivers and Pro/High End audio. I'm not the most knowledgeable Car audio guy.

Could you explain or post a pic please?

·
Registered
749 Posts
I tested my pair in-car last night and gave them an honest 90-minute listen. I ran them from 3.2KHz at a 24dB slope and a quick tune by ear.

I listened to a mix of classical, industrial, some 90's rap, metal, and EDM.

Honestly, they're not as great as I was expecting.

They're better. So. Much. Better. My previous benchmark tweeter was the Morel Piccolo but for what I like, I thought that these easily outperformed them.

Now I just need to decide if I'm going to run the Illusion C3's or Scan 10f's with them.

Thanks for an incredible product, Mark!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Why?

It's the driver diameter and the coil height/gap height that dictate the low end performance.

Keep in mind that even though this driver has a low Fs, it is still only really effective above 1400 hertz with a steep enough crossover to keep it from destroying itself.

And a question.

Screw mount?

I design drivers and Pro/High End audio. I'm not the most knowledgeable Car audio guy.

I wouldn't dare try to run these at upper volumes below 2khz, but a smaller version won't compromise capabilities? That would be neat though I still like the current ones.

Screw mounts are just attaching to the baffle front mounted with small screws though most car audio tweets don't use that technique like home audio tweets. There's a few like this:

Attachments

·
Vendor
20,615 Posts
Why?

And a question.

Screw mount?

either a faceplate with the holes in it to screw it down like this..

or a threaded insert on the back. some car audio tweeters use this idea and you attach a piece that holds it against the back of a panel. i cant really explain it but heres the only pic i could find

·
Registered
749 Posts
Thanks for the pics and the explanations guys!

I could make this same tweeter quite a bit smaller on the OD.

It would cost a bit to do it, but not more than the current cup.

OK here's the idea:

This is the actual driver.

This is the current housing:

There is room to shrink this a fair bit.

Would take a bit of doing. But it is indeed possible.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Mark as long as you don't compromise your quality I think shrinking them a bit would appeal to the masses.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
I think most are going to do a pig tail anyway. At least I am, but I'm locked in on these tweets so it doesn't matter much to me at this point. This was a deal of the decade for this kind of quality. Much thanks!

61 - 80 of 193 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.