DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for advice on a new install. I've seen related questions asked, but didn't find anything specific enough.

Current System
2019 Highlander
Kenwood 9906 > OEM JBL System
300W mono amp > IDQ10 Sub

Proposed System
Kenwood 9906
Front Dash > Morel Hybrid Integra 402
^ powered by 100W x4
Front Door > Morel Elate Ti MW9 or Morel 6x9s
^ powered by 300W x2
Existing Rear OEM speakers (excluding OEM sub)
^ powered by OEM amp
IDQ10 Sub
^ powered by 300W mono amp

Ideally, I'd like to run the front Morel's 3-way active from the head unit and add the sub and rear OEM speakers. With the ability to fade the rear speakers.

If I'm running the Kenwood HU 3-way active, can I still output for the rest of the system (sub + rear fill)?

I'd like to keep the rear for fill and rear passengers.

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
You're asking too much from that head unit.

You'll have to run the 402's with their passive crossovers, but you can still use the 3-way crossover to set TA, and make some overall adjustments to the mid/tweet combo. You will not be able to run rears when using 3-way mode, the fader is disabled in 3-way mode, plus even if you tapped into the signal, the rear speakers would get the same signal, with the same processing as your 402's.

You will be able to use the sub without any problems, in order to do what you want you need a much more substantial DSP than the Kenwood offers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the great info!

That was my fear. As you can probably guess, I was hoping to avoid the added cost of a DSP.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
It's a great head unit, I'm using the non-dvd version, but you are trying to use it outside of it's intended purpose. When activating the 3-way crossover you lose the fader option. So, if you want to keep that, you have to keep it in standard mode and run passive components, or add a DSP.

I've gotten the DMX906S to sound pretty good with a basic active system, but I'm using it within the limits of it's design, traditional 2-way front, and no rear speakers.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Gotcha. Thanks again.

And I guess I'm looking at $500+ for a DSP that fits that role?
The Dayton 408 has 8 outputs. This can give you 4 up front for a traditional 2-way front, plus another 2 for the rear speakers, and you'll still have 1 for the sub, and an extra channel. Or, you can run 6 channels to the front, and 1 to the sub and skip the awful rear speakers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, that's pretty inexpensive and has great specs. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
It really always sounds crazy to me to hear people say they hate rears. Many people just take them out all together. I guess I'm a little different than others because I'm running focal es130kx2 components in the rear and I think it sounds much better that way

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a three way active now running from the Kenwood 9906 and would like a bit more control.

I've read some posts of people having noise issues with the Dayton DSP-408 when running from the Kenwood's high voltage RCA outs.

Does anyone know if this has been fixed?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts