DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated in the title I'm looking to buy Kenwood ddx773bh / ddx793, or Pioneer avh-x3800bhs / avh-x5800bhs?

I mostly play CDs still (Classical music mostly, but very ecclectic tastes) because, yes I CAN hear the difference between a WAV vs mp3. I design/mix film sound for a living.

The only reason I will really go with the ddx793 or the avh-x5800BH is because of sound quality. The Kenwood ddx773 and the Pioneer AVH-3800BHS do everything I "need" (Backup camera, CD, DVD, HD Radio & Pandora). The Kenwoods do have the adjustable parking guidelines which I really like. The Pioneers do Spotify which has slightly better quality audio than pandora.

All in all I have no real brand loyalty, just want the best sound (FLAT frequency response and least distortion) first and foremost. I'm not expecting anything astounding in my car, I just figure the HU will be the weakest link for SQ so I want the best I can get without paying for navigation functions I don't need.

So my few questions:

1) Is it really a HUGE sound quality upgrade from the kenwood 773 to the 793 excelon with the same specs? I will be running a 5 channel amp (I will be getting something like upper end JL, Alpine, etc.)

2) What is the general consensus on brand preference here as far as pure distortion free sound quality and flat frequency response?

3) Any features, drawbacks, or reliability issues to definitely choose one over the others?

4) Any HU's I'm overlooking form Sony, Alpine etc. (not trying to spend a fortune for things I don't need like navigation, idatalink, etc.)

Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I bought a Pioneer AVH-X4800BS just like the 5800 but no HD Radio because I never listen to it anyway. A USB drive with Flac files sounds as good as the CD anyway so that is what I'm doing and I really like it. I really don't think you'll hear any difference between the two brands.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts