DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
The directory limitation is interesting. I'm not sure how deep my Pioneer HU will go as I only have first level directories. The album name is the directory. I discovered a quirk of my HU is that it will not recognize a directory that begins with an ellipsis(...). It could be hard to figure this stuff out on the fly when you don't have a solid baseline to work from.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I had that same unit and after the update it was awful. I finally got rid of it and never had any more issues. After the upgrade it was glitchy and then I started having Bluetooth issues and what your describing. It was ok but I think I had a bad one for many years and didn’t know. They are ok units but the newer ones will play more different types of music files. Just from someone who used that unit and had many issues as well.

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
264 Posts
I also have the 9905 with a 2tb drive with he music videos and Flac music. But I can not get the flac bit and sample rate to show up. Do I need to use some sort of app and get or edit the tags or metadata? Out of 1500 songs maybe 5 show the flac bit rate info, and those were just random songs I got from YouTube and downloaded as flac.

Do you all format as exfat32 or ntfs?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have saved all my files off my CD’s in iTunes as Apple Lossless and use MediaHuman Audio Converter to save files on USB drives in WAV, Flac and MP3 format on different drives depending on whether I want album art or highest quality file. Flac and MP3’s keep the tagging and album art. Flac is compressed lossless and what I prefer when using a USB for playback in my X6. My older 335i doesn’t support album art so WAV is technically a better file but takes up more space, doesn't save much tagging like Flac and MP3, and I can’t hear the difference.

If you have apple devices, this is an easy way and there are other comparable solutions other than MediaHuman to do the same conversion. I use up to 256 USB drives with no problem and store at least 3 playlists and all my albums and can access any of them, play random as well.

It works with the Kenwood DDX9905S I put in my Landcruiser perfectly as well.

My largest playlist has 1700 songs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also have the 9905 with a 2tb drive with he music videos and Flac music. But I can not get the flac bit and sample rate to show up. Do I need to use some sort of app and get or edit the tags or metadata? Out of 1500 songs maybe 5 show the flac bit rate info, and those were just random songs I got from YouTube and downloaded as flac.

Do you all format as exfat32 or ntfs?
I use NTFS on the SD card I plug into my 4500nex to get around the limitations of fat32 format.

Where are you seeing the FLAC rates? You can look at the various formats for tagging here and I don't see a field for the FLAC rate. Maybe I'm missing it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The directory limitation is interesting. I'm not sure how deep my Pioneer HU will go as I only have first level directories. The album name is the directory. I discovered a quirk of my HU is that it will not recognize a directory that begins with an ellipsis(...). It could be hard to figure this stuff out on the fly when you don't have a solid baseline to work from.
In Unix-like systems, files and and directories that start with a dot (.) are treated as hidden files.

I use NTFS on the SD card I plug into my 4500nex to get around the limitations of fat32 format.

Where are you seeing the FLAC rates? You can look at the various formats for tagging here and I don't see a field for the FLAC rate. Maybe I'm missing it?
The FLAC rate It is not a tag or property. FLAC is lossless and "lossless is lossless" and as such it is the same as the source (In your case a CD).What you can control a little bit is the compression level or how much you "pack the file". The encoder has some compression level options that go from 0-8. If you increase the compression, level it will take a bit longer to encode and the file could be a little bit smaller. If you are using EAC, you can find the compression level under "EAC\Compression Options...\External Compression" in the "Additional Command-Line Options". The default setting in EAC is "6". If you feel that it is taking too long to rip the CD, you can speed up the process by lowering the compression level at the expense of a little more storage. The "audio quality" will not change.

Check this post for some comparisons of what the different FLAC compression levels do to an audio track: FLAC compression level comparison

I also highly recommend that you read this article by founder of Audio Frog: Tech Tip: Digital Audio Basics

·
Registered
16 Posts
The FLAC rate It is not a tag or property. FLAC is lossless and "lossless is lossless" and as such it is the same as the source (In your case a CD).What you can control a little bit is the compression level or how much you "pack the file". The encoder has some compression level options that go from 0-8. If you increase the compression, level it will take a bit longer to encode and the file could be a little bit smaller. If you are using EAC, you can find the compression level under "EAC\Compression Options...\External Compression" in the "Additional Command-Line Options". The default setting in EAC is "6". If you feel that it is taking too long to rip the CD, you can speed up the process by lowering the compression level at the expense of a little more storage. The "audio quality" will not change.

Check this post for some comparisons of what the different FLAC compression levels do to an audio track: FLAC compression level comparison

I also highly recommend that you read this article by founder of Audio Frog: Tech Tip: Digital Audio Basics
Understand. The poster that I quoted stated that:
I was trying to explain to him that I wasn't sure where the "FLAC bit rate" was coming from on the songs that displayed it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why do not you just buy a bluetooth module and convert your stereo into bluetooth. Then you will be able to play whatever song you want to play with one phone click away.

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
264 Posts
The rate shows up at the top...
But I’ve looked at the tags of the few songs that show it and can’t see anything different than the others
View attachment 264028

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks @Selkec, curiosity was killing me. Now that I've seen it, I'm not sure what to make of it. Since FLAC is lossless, the original stream is the result of decompression.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks @Selkec, curiosity was killing me. Now that I've seen it, I'm not sure what to make of it. Since FLAC is lossless, the original stream is the result of decompression.
The pictures above show the sampling rate (measured in KHz) and bit depth. The bit rate (measured in Kbps) is the sampling rate x bit depth. So those are likely "High-resolution audio" tracks at 192 KHz/24 bit encoded in FLAC hi-res. For comparison, A CD is 44.1 KHz/16 bit.

For more information: What is High-Resolution Audio (HRA) | High Resolution Audio | Technics US
For whether high-res audio is worth it, read this article by founder of Audio Frog: Tech Tip: Digital Audio Basics

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
264 Posts
I have over 1600 flac songs plus HD music videos stored on a 2tb hard drive and my Kenwood 9905 plays them all. I just can’t get that encoded not rate to show up. But the 2tb hard drive works great and has no lag and having HD videos playing is awesome.
Here’s a link of the video quality in my car. Hopefully the upload is clear, it seems as if it isn’t uploading properly for me.

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
264 Posts
Ive found it also shows wav info
C5341867-7735-4E75-8581-EEFDA76185D9.jpeg

21 - 35 of 35 Posts