DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello DIYMA

Welll I'm between headunits right now and I'm thinking about getting one of these two units, but I don't know anything about Kenwood. I have heard that they make great navi units but what about there single din stuff. I know that the kenwood has more features for the same price as the alpine but I'm willing to pay extra for the Bluetooth unit from alpine. So my question really is HOW GOOD is Kenwood as brand.

Thank you

Daniel

·
Registered
30 Posts
x2! Looking at the Alpine 9887 w/ add-ons, then saw this Kenwood KDC-X993.

anyone have experience w/ this HU or any issues with Kenwood HU's?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I personally hate all of Kenwood's single DIN units. I will admit, their double DIN are quite nice. Also keep in mind I have no experience with their Excelon line. I love Alpine products, they are solid and perform. As you pointed out you usually end up paying a bit more for features, but it is worth it IMO.

·
Registered
108 Posts
KDC-X993 is a great UNIT. Even Alpine is good. Kenwood HU is more towards Vocals / Midrange / Highs, where as Alpine HU has some exaggerated Upper Midrange which some people might not like.

I would go with Kenwood. Using Alpine as of now but i feel i missed out on kenwood when i bought 9887.

·
Registered
108 Posts
KDC-X993 is a great UNIT. Even Alpine is good. Kenwood HU is more towards Vocals / Midrange / Highs, where as Alpine HU has some exaggerated Upper Midrange which some people might not like.

I would go with Kenwood. Using Alpine as of now but i feel i missed out on kenwood when i bought 9887.

·
Registered
58 Posts
ive never heard the kenwood unit in question, but i've never heard a kenwood i've liked so far. sound is thin compared to both my eclipse and alpine decks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
This next week I will be auditioning the Kenwood x993, Alpine X305, Alpine 9887, and Pioneer 800PRS. I've got a local shop that will have all on hand to play with. It won't be a way to truely listen to how they would sound in my vehicle, but at least I can compare functionality, features, ease of use, and build quality side by side. I'll keep you posted if you'd like.

·
Registered
713 Posts
This next week I will be auditioning the Kenwood x993, Alpine X305, Alpine 9887, and Pioneer 800PRS. I've got a local shop that will have all on hand to play with. It won't be a way to truely listen to how they would sound in my vehicle, but at least I can compare functionality, features, ease of use, and build quality side by side. I'll keep you posted if you'd like.
I'm interesting in hearing how your audition went, as I'm interested in three of the decks mentioned above. I can't seem to find a shop that has all the decks I want in the same place (let alone time to audition them).

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ok, so the guy calls me up and says they are in. So I said I'd be by last Saturday. He says that's cool and he'll have them ready to play with.

I show up and he says that he sold the 9887 and they couldn't get the pio or the kenwood in. ?!?!?!?!? WHAT A WASTE OF TIME!!!! I'm a little offended that he promised something, calls me up to schedule a time to see them and then drops the ball! Its too bad because good local shops are a dying breed. I guess I'll try the other shop in town, but I think they only carry the alpines.

·
Registered
1 Posts
your post is so much interesting and informative.I like its so much and i says thanks on this nice sharing,I check all the links and mail all of my friends to check it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a Kenwood something or other and sent it back and bought an Alpine 9886. I couldn't see the super shiny display of the Kenwood in the daytime. I like the display, iPod interaction and the fact that all of the controls on the alpine were on the drivers side.

My respected audio guy said he felt the Kenwood units were better built and SQ than the Alpine or Naks he sold.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Now I haven't compared this unit with much else besides units several years older--and lacking many of the x993's features--so take this with a grain of salt--

After about six months with a X993, I love it. Geat SQ--but then I don't seem to need too much fine EQ adjustment either. It doesn't have too fine of an EQ section. I've messed around with it a bit, but seem to like it pretty much flat. I'm sure RTA'ing it would point out deficiencies, but I'm happy with it.

The X'over section allows a good deal of flexibility--good choice of freqs and slopes. It can't do active front stage out of the box, though. But then again, I'm happy with my passive set up.

The most aggravating thing for me was the control knob--it took a while for me to get used to how it moved. Lots of wrong selections at first!

I don't seem to have a problem with the display. My dash angles the HU up slightly, so that may help a bit, I'm not sure.

It seems like all high-feature HU's are like this now, but the menus and settings take a while to learn. You'll want the manual riding with you for a while. And if you ever need to pair up your phone with the bluetooth again, you might need the manual for that. I did!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I auditioned the IDA-X305 and the KDC-x993 and the Kenwood won out. I currently have the 993, and I love it. There are some things that annoy me that people have hit on already. The ultra shiny display can get washed out in drive sunlight, but you can reverse the colors and that helps. I love the display colors though, the fact that I can match my VW blue and red on the radio was huge for me. The SQ is amasing, so many features that you can customize it to pretty much what ever you want, except for active.

The other annoyance is the control knob, but once you get used to it and know how to work it when dealing with driving over bumps it is not a issue.

The BT is good, sometimes my wife complains that is sounds like a speakerphone, but I only hear that for her so take it with a grain of salt :)

The iPod controls are great, way better that the Alpine honestly. All I use it iPod so that was a big part of my decision. You can set up the shortcuts to get certain folders, or genres or artists or playlists, so it is a time saver. You can also set it to iPod passenger control where the iPod is played through the USB but controlled from the iPod itself. Very convenient when the technologically retarded with wants to pick a song, that way she doesn't have to know how the stereo works to do it. But I really like it and am glad that I picked it up. That and CF had a crazy sale on it and I picked it up and almost half price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts