DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has kenwood rebounded. This looks to big a big step ahead of the dnn992 failures.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Based on what I’ve read on here, Kenwood is likely the top car stereo maker at the moment just in front of Alpine/Pioneer. The XR series are especially well regarded (9906XR and 996XR). I’ve also seen quite a few use the 9905S. But not sure what sort of failures you’re referring to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dnn992 head unit... slow, crashes, hd radio failures, no updates...…. it was the worst investment I ever made in a flagship head unit.. I will give kenwood another try in march 2020 when the new excelon head units come out. The new head units look to be promising.

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
I don't know of the issues that apparently plagued the dnn992, but as dgage said, they are as good as you'll get. In the head unit world you have Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine, and Sony. Alpine and Sony have very few available models, Pioneer and Kenwood have a pretty robust selection. Both Kenwood and Pioneer have head units available that can run a basic 3-way active system (tweeters, mids, and subs).

I am running a Kenwood DMX906S. This is the top tier Excelon unit that does not have Nav, or CD/DVD. It has a nice capacitive touch screen (not quiet as nice as the XR line, but since it doesn't play DVD's that's not an issue), 3-way crossover network, wireless Carplay, 2 USB inputs. I have a 256 GB flash drive connected, and it compiles the entire library in less than a minute from when I start the car.

My only complaints are with regard to the interface. The home screens are too cluttered, and I wish I had more control over how they looked, but I had similar complaints while demoing the Pioneer stuff.

I've never liked Alpines head units, mostly because I they've never made a good looking one. I think the Sony's are the best looking/least cluttered, but they don't offer anything with wireless Carplay, or active crossovers. This leaves Pioneer and Kenwood, and it a lot of ways it's a matter of preference between the two.

So, my Kenwood DMX906S has some great features, works well, and my only complaints are related to lack of customization options.

·
682 Posts
I don't know of the issues that apparently plagued the dnn992, but as dgage said, they are as good as you'll get. In the head unit world you have Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine, and Sony. Alpine and Sony have very few available models, Pioneer and Kenwood have a pretty robust selection. Both Kenwood and Pioneer have head units available that can run a basic 3-way active system (tweeters, mids, and subs).

I am running a Kenwood DMX906S. This is the top tier Excelon unit that does not have Nav, or CD/DVD. It has a nice capacitive touch screen (not quiet as nice as the XR line, but since it doesn't play DVD's that's not an issue), 3-way crossover network, wireless Carplay, 2 USB inputs. I have a 256 GB flash drive connected, and it compiles the entire library in less than a minute from when I start the car.

My only complaints are with regard to the interface. The home screens are too cluttered, and I wish I had more control over how they looked, but I had similar complaints while demoing the Pioneer stuff.

I've never liked Alpines head units, mostly because I they've never made a good looking one. I think the Sony's are the best looking/least cluttered, but they don't offer anything with wireless Carplay, or active crossovers. This leaves Pioneer and Kenwood, and it a lot of ways it's a matter of preference between the two.

So, my Kenwood DMX906S has some great features, works well, and my only complaints are related to lack of customization options.

I just bought a DDX9906XR and haven't installed it yet. One big selling feature for me is the dual-USB and the HiRes capability with DSD decoding. On your flash drive, do you have AIFF files? I'm hoping the unit will play them and I don't have to convert to another format.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Back in the 90s I bought Kenwood's top CD receiver for my Z28. I paid $500 or $600 for it. It was so fancy it didn't even have an amp; it had to be used with external amps. One night I was driving around and this horrible noise started blaring through my speakers. It was so bad I almost jumped out of my car in the middle of the road. Volume buttons had no effect. I didn't know what it was at first but I came to find out it was the Kenwood. It did it every time I turned it on after a few minutes of playing normally, usually about 5 minutes. I also had CD skipping problems. It was terrible, especially for a flagship unit. After that I have been reluctant to buy Kenwood.

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
I just bought a DDX9906XR and haven't installed it yet. One big selling feature for me is the dual-USB and the HiRes capability with DSD decoding. On your flash drive, do you have AIFF files? I'm hoping the unit will play them and I don't have to convert to another format.
My flash drive is full of FLAC files, I haven't tried anything else from the flash drive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am even more afraid now that i discovered that there is a vss pink wire which makes apple car play work. VSS wire is a speed sensor wire? I guess the music gets louder when you step on the pedal... The only problem i have with that will be my car was made in 1984 :p:p:p there is no speed sensor.... to be continued! This is for the dnx996xr

1 - 9 of 9 Posts