DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to go without a head unit, OR hide the head unit behind the dash. I mostly plan to use bluetooth with aptx codec to play my music through my android phone.

I'm trying to decide if I should get the JL audio bluetooth receiver which has aptx codec and pre amped rca line out, which I plan to run to a 1/2 din EQ.

For only $75 more, I have been looking at the Kenwood KMRM-325bt marine head unit that not only has aptx bluetooth but also flac capabilities via usb, AND dsp controls such as time alignment which can be controlled by my phone via the blueteooth connection. Has tons of featuures, this app "kenwood remote app".

But a couple things.....Reviews are looking pretty bad when I look up the app. Crutchfield mentions in the head unit description that the Kenwood Remote App no longer works with android devices as of January 1, 2019. Damn!

But there are people making reviews which indicates the app is still working for them. Well for some of them.

Anyone have any advice? For the extra $75 I would LOVE the flac capabilities of this deck, it's short enough to fit behind my dash, the dsp options via bluetooth seem good enough to not need an actual DSP unit for me....But what about Kenwood and that app.

Since I won't have a physical volume button which I think is necessary I plan to run the rca's either from the head unit if I buy that, or from JL's bluetooth receiver into a Precision Power E.7 EQ, which I like anyway, especially for the fine tuning on each EQ band signal and then I can use the master volume on the EQ as just that, the master volume. Bad idea?

The signal from the EQ would then run into an older JL audio slash 300/4 version 1 which will be running a pair of Hertz 165L.4 midbass installed in the bottom of the front doors on 2 channels and then a pair of Hertz dsk165.3 2 way components in the kick panels, angled up and towards the driver and passenger.

So far I have all the speakers and the 4 channel amp, I have yet to buy the EQ and Headunit / or Bluetooth receiver. Would love some feedback on what I'm looking at, and any input to make this system the best it can be for what it is.

I'm going for budget sound quality in an old tiny japanese car with lots of road noise, so it doesn't need to be perfect. That head unit seems to have all my answers, if the bluetooth app interface would work!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The other thing is I've searched and searched but can't figure out if I need a data connection on my phone to run the app. I've already downloaded it, and it seems as though that's not the case. I wouldn't need to connect to the internet anyway to run streaming music or anything like that as I plan to play the files directly from my phone.

I've looked at other head units that offer something similar like Sony's "song pal" and Alpine's "tuneit" but it seems they both need an internet connection to even run. I won't have that out on the road.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts