DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm contemplating cutting into my kick panels to get better midbass than the doors (AP vent). Who here as cut into their car's kick panels?

Regrets at all? Benefits? Please share!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Okay, I'm contemplating cutting into my kick panels to get better midbass than the doors (AP vent). Who here as cut into their car's kick panels?

All vehicles will yield different results with midbass output. The greatest advantage is your path length difference will be more equal than door mount or a a-pillar configuration.

·
Registered
518 Posts
i regret not doing another kick panel install in my G37 sedan. the kicks are small, but even a 4" coax would do wonders for imaging. you simply cannot go wrong. i have never heard a poor sounding one yet.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I regret cutting the hell out of all the metal and having the sound of the speakers coming out the fender wells and cold air intake. I sealed most of it back up. I don't regret mounting speakers in the kicks,because they sound really good inside the truck. I made simple angled pods that would have worked even without cutting all the metal.. over eager grrrr

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Let me clarify... im talking about the metal part of the kicks... plastic is fine and replaceable... anyone have experience cutting and the reselling the car later?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
not to sound shadey, but how would they know you cut the metal? if it is done right, there is no reason to tell them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Simple cuts can be replaced,but crazy torching and bending will erase the mounting spots of the plastic parts. As far as resale,I've only sold 1 "modified" vehicle and the guy didn't mind the 1/2cf enclosures welded into the footwells for the subs. If you plan to sell,I'd guess,keep the mods to the minimum to get the job done.jmho

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
not to sound shadey, but how would they know you cut the metal? if it is done right, there is no reason to tell them.
That could get you into a lot of trouble later if the guy is in a wreck and the car's body fails at the points where it was cut. The insurance inspectors are going to find those weakened and cut body sections, they're going to trace the chain of ownership, and then the victim's family, the police, and the insurance companies can all come after you.

If you're doing a private-party sale of a car that's been modified with cut body sections, you're going to need documentation that the buyer signs acknowledging that he's taking delivery that way to take the liability away from you - and it still might not be enough.

I am not a lawyer; I just talk like one.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
they couldnt prove you did it, either way, highly unlikely

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
That could get you into a lot of trouble later if the guy is in a wreck and the car's body fails at the points where it was cut. The insurance inspectors are going to find those weakened and cut body sections, they're going to trace the chain of ownership, and then the victim's family, the police, and the insurance companies can all come after you.

If you're doing a private-party sale of a car that's been modified with cut body sections, you're going to need documentation that the buyer signs acknowledging that he's taking delivery that way to take the liability away from you - and it still might not be enough.

I am not a lawyer; I just talk like one.

If that was the case, aren't most cars sold, "As is"? I'm sure it's the buyers responsabilaty to inspect the car through out if he is planning to purchase it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yes, I know exactly what you are talking about - I like the idea of those thicker rings. With the PVC pipe, I had to make a few adapters out of wood to put it all together.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had a older bmw e36 and the speaker in the lower kicks were 51/4" so i did infact cut them and put in 6.5" i regret it as the bmw speaker location in this car is so far forward the time i spent and money to change the speaker was really not worth it to me. now if i would have bought a custom made like q form or pay a local shop for molded kicks i would have been much happier IMO
i already had after market speaker in the car before i did the change

·
Registered
518 Posts
I had a older bmw e36 and the speaker in the lower kicks were 51/4" so i did infact cut them and put in 6.5" i regret it as the bmw speaker location in this car is so far forward the time i spent and money to change the speaker was really not worth it to me. now if i would have bought a custom made like q form or pay a local shop for molded kicks i would have been much happier IMO
i already had after market speaker in the car before i did the change
so what was it that you ended up not liking?? those bimmers have the best places for speakers of any car i know of imho. and i am jealosu of the locations and size lol. what didn't you like?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I like the speaker down low but they are shoot across to the pedals not toward your ears. also the oem plastic cover will no longer hold so it looked a little unfinished imo
if maybe it was mid bass only they would be great. i was just not happy also as after removing the oem set up there was almost like the sound stage is playing at differnt times as the door 3-4" mid and tweeter didn't sound good.
again this was not a high end set up i just wanted a bit more out fo the fronts. Now thinking of it i should have replace all 6 of the front speaker and paid for custom kicks
things you learn on the way
this was like 15 years ago also

·
Registered
107 Posts
also they rattled alot and it was hard to sound matt with all the item in the way on the bmw. you would also have to seal the backs but this is very hard as its the frame of the car and not easy to get to

1 - 18 of 18 Posts