DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vehicle is a 2002 Toyota Camry

Behind the kick panel covers, on both the driver and passenger side, are plastic modules where various molex type connectors form a junction of sorts.

Driver's side:

Passenger side:

These modules pop out easily, and once moved aside, reveal a fair bit of airspace... airspace that could be very beneficial for a set of drivers mounted in the kicks.

Driver's side:

Passenger's side:

I'd like to relocate these modules, likely upwards behind the dash - as it appears that there is room to do so on both sides.

I'm looking for guidance and suggestions from those who have done this type of relocation before.

I am comfortable with soldering and heat shrink... it looks to me (at a cursory glance) that the easiest way would be to simply cut the main bundle of wires feeding in to the base of each module and simply extend the wires to allow the range of movement required.

Am I on the right track, or am I overlooking something and grossly simplifying things?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've done it two ways.

In my truck I simply removed the plastic piece and kept the molex connectors. Then I zip tied it up high in the dash. There was enough slack in the harness to do that. The only thing I had to move were the ground points in the harness to somewhere else. Everything else is identical to the way it was, it is just zip tied up in the dash now.

The other way is the extension of every wire by soldering them all. The key here is to do one wire at a time. Cut the wire, solder an extension in place, then do the second wire. This is a TON more work and I'd only do it if you can't get enough slack in the harness to move it as is. Also, make sure you are a good at soldering. You don't want cold solder joints---that would be a major PITA to track down later. I found a harness from a "donor" car and used it when I did this. That way the wire colors were the same.

Also--if do not have an alarm in the vehicle and plan on adding one--do it before you relocate those wires. A lot of alarm wires are grabbed in the kicks of vehicles (especially door locks and windows) and once you have relocated them it makes it much more difficult to find. I discovered this recently :(

·
Registered
75 Posts
You could find a donor car and cut the plugs plug some wire and make your own plug and play extensions with no cutting of the factory plugs in your car at all. That would probably be the best plan B if just zip tying them higher up doesn't work.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate the insight and suggestions on looking for a donor harness for ease of extending the wires if need be... I'll have to double check to the actual amount of slack in the existing harness, it would be a bonus if I could get it tied up without actually having to extend it, but glad to know that I'm at least on the right path.

Thanks guys!
:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've done it two ways.

In my truck I simply removed the plastic piece and kept the molex connectors. Then I zip tied it up high in the dash. There was enough slack in the harness to do that. The only thing I had to move were the ground points in the harness to somewhere else. Everything else is identical to the way it was, it is just zip tied up in the dash now.

The other way is the extension of every wire by soldering them all. The key here is to do one wire at a time. Cut the wire, solder an extension in place, then do the second wire. This is a TON more work and I'd only do it if you can't get enough slack in the harness to move it as is. Also, make sure you are a good at soldering. You don't want cold solder joints---that would be a major PITA to track down later. I found a harness from a "donor" car and used it when I did this. That way the wire colors were the same.

Also--if do not have an alarm in the vehicle and plan on adding one--do it before you relocate those wires. A lot of alarm wires are grabbed in the kicks of vehicles (especially door locks and windows) and once you have relocated them it makes it much more difficult to find. I discovered this recently :(
Ahh, the harness from a "donor" is excellent advice. To the junkyard I go. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts